ID:277175

I really don't think BYOND is dieing, but the IQ is definatly dropping with all of the "new commers" around.

I think we should pump out an FAQ with the biggest questions.
I'll make it!
Post the Q&A's that you think newcommers (and newbies) would ask.

I'll write up a website for them. (something that's easy to access!)
better off checking out the BYONDBwicki - http://bwicki.byond.com/ ByondBwicki.dmb?FrequentlyAskedQuestions - and see what areas could be filled in, improved, or updated.
In response to Nadrew
Wow.... Nifty...
Does that include problems with "OMG MY HUB WAS HAXORS" and "BYOND WONT OPEN" or "I CANT HOST"

Maybe you should also include a few paragraph about security issues (like, having the fear of your computer being "hacked" by BYONDers using the software)

Great find though, thanks.
In response to Flame Sage
It was phased out for use of the Bwicki, it hasn't been updated in almost five years.
In response to Flame Sage
Heh, I love seeing the "My BYOND wuz HAXORS!" posts... They make me actually want to wake up some days...

I love how one guy got into an argument with Mike H, accusing him of not knowing what he was talking about, and Mike merely replied with: "It wasn't a hack, it was a crash.". I laughed so hard when the guy finally realised that Mike was part of the staff...
In response to Ter13
Umm.. link?
In response to CaptFalcon33035
CaptFalcon33035 wrote:
Umm.. link?

'Twas Tsfreaks. ID:491132
Flame Sage wrote:
I really don't think BYOND is dieing, but the IQ is definatly dropping with all of the "new commers" around.

I like how you criticise 'the IQ' when you spelt "dying", "definitely" and "new comers" wrong. =P
In response to Elation
See, I thought that, but then I said "It couldn't be" because he wasn't arguing with Mike H at all. In fact, when he was told that it was a crash, he never denied.
It appears as though newer members are less informed because the ones that make themselves public are. BYOND has been changing a lot, and it is allowing everyone to see the under side of BYOND, the area that was limited to developers and those willing enough to find the forums.

Now, however, BYOND is being more geared to allow for the non-technical and less informed people to find their way into the community. This is hardly a problem, though. This gives the community room to grow, we just have to put more effort into educating and informing the new people around us.

It is important to note that being less informed is not having a lower IQ.

I can look at myself and honestly say that I was a "noob" when I joined BYOND. Sure, I didn't flow some of the norms of BYOND "noobs", but I was. I didn't want to do much for myself, I didn't bother to spell check my writing, I didn't use capital letters, I often uses "lol" randomly, and didn't listen to the advice of others much. If it wasn't for the kindness of a few BYONDers, I probably would have left BYOND, or left the community and been part of the problem of fan games and rips.

So it is not up to BYOND to change for us but rather for us to change for BYOND. We have to be accepting and helpful.

As for updating the FAQ, it is a little lacking, but that is why we have these forums. FAQs should normally be related to one aspect of something, and most of the current FAQs are related to programming in DM, not helping out these new "Gamer" users that we are getting.

Just to state my point again: Less informed does not equal stupid.
Don't tell anyone, but BYOND actually died in 2001. What everyone is using now is ZOMBYOND.
In response to Gughunter
:O! And I thought it was called "DragonBYOND."

BYOND is in fact dying, but not as fast as you think. In fact, I doubt BYOND will ever truly die out, actually, I think it will die out a bit then grow to reach it's high point. Look around you at the staff, and their achievements to giving us, the users, a better experience:

• The BYOND Members section
  • The Developer/Games communities
  • The software itself
  • The Hub
  • A ready-to-go support form
  • Respect, as opposed to complete disrespect and disregard.
  • The care to maintain the forums, the hub, and the BYOND Members

And then things to come to provide us with an even better experience, some of which are JUST AROUND THE CORNER:

• BYOND 4.0
  • Anything after BYOND 4.0
  • Even more respect, and even less disrespect (Let's just say we're almost as -1.#INF)!

Now I know someone is going to think or respond claiming that none of these things they are providing/will provide are original. However, these are original, because they are all customly crafted to fit us, the users. WES IZ TEH PEEPS OF BOYND
In response to Elation
Hahaha, that was a good laugh.
I think this is a good idea, and I think this should also just be a step towards making all the reference material more accessible and integrated. The guide and reference are great, but they could be improved if they had more examples, links to other sources, and maybe even some simple programs to show the ideas.
In response to Audeuro
Audeuro wrote:
BYOND is in fact dying

Only in the Terry Pratchett sense:

"Will I die?"
YES.
"Am I dying?"
YES.
"...But from your perspective, everyone will die and everyone is dying, right?"
YES.
"Thanks. That's really helpful."
DON'T MENTION IT.
In response to Crispy
its no surprise that the community is dying, there are so many fat heads with "hey! newbie! stop asking stupid questions!" kinda stuff or even worse and more stupidly "hey newbie! dont rip off my code!".
DO NOT CRY because people are leaving the community after all that sort of treatement! I'm still here, because I'm an exception, but otherwise Ive had people telling me in my mail that the "experts" on the site were unpleasent and borgeoise!
I am a big fan of BYOND, and dont appreciate the way that some people who are technically advanced, are socially more nazi and stupid than me. you got brains? you got ideas? share them!!!
someone did that for you when you started learning.

n.b. if noone had shown mare curie how to tie her laces, we would never have the nuclear bomb!!!
In response to Eurobusker
Eurobusker wrote:
its no surprise that the community is dying, there are so many fat heads with "hey! newbie! stop asking stupid questions!" kinda stuff or even worse and more stupidly "hey newbie! dont rip off my code!".

DO NOT CRY because people are leaving the community after all that sort of treatement! I'm still here, because I'm an exception, but otherwise Ive had people telling me in my mail that the "experts" on the site were unpleasent and borgeoise!

"Bourgeois" means something different than what you are using it as. "I do not think it means what you think it means." ;-)

"Unpleasant" is a matter of perspective. I agree that many of the people are unpleasant. I know I can be unpleasant on those rare occasions where there's a bit of anthrax in the air or something. But for the most part, the people who are being unpleasant are being unpleasant for a reason, and in most cases it's because the person on the receiving end is tacitly or openly refusing to listen to what the speaker is saying.

There's a reason why parents shake their babies. It's not a good reason. But it happens. =P

I am a big fan of BYOND, and dont appreciate the way that some people who are technically advanced, are socially more nazi and stupid than me. you got brains? you got ideas? share them!!!
someone did that for you when you started learning.

Well, the sad truth is that the old old BYOND generation all learned the material for themselves, with the occasional resort to the guys at the top, and as such it's not wholly unreasonable for them to expect other people to learn the same way. I'm not saying it makes things smoother or is an excuse for not being helpful, but if you're wondering why it happens, there you are. =)
n.b. if noone had shown mare curie how to tie her laces, we would never have the nuclear bomb!!!

More proof that both women and shoelaces are evil!

Or something.

I, for one, think that reports of BYOND's imminent demise are greatly exagerrated.
It happens to everyone, and will happen to everyone, its part of the cycle of un-newbifying yourself. You ask a stupid question, someone more experienced yells at you, a few inexperienced people who think they're experienced yell as well to try and look "big", you yell back making yourself look like more of an idiot, then a week later you make a slightly less stupid post. Repeat.

Ofcourse, there are exceptions, Lummox skipped the entire process and jumped right to expert.
Page: 1 2