ID:277179

hahahah Look at this.

http://www.techpowerup.com/?18728

Hilarious. The fact that iPod manufacturing plants use Windows in the first place makes it so much more funny. xD
Heh. Whoops. Reminds me of a case I heard of (not related to Apple) where the computer that was used to assemble the final, shipping build had a virus on it... the virus got onto the CD image and got sent out on every single copy of the product. =P

All computer companies use each other's stuff to some extent. It's a safe bet that there are computers running Linux at Microsoft, for example.
In response to Crispy
Crispy wrote:
Heh. Whoops. Reminds me of a case I heard of (not related to Apple) where the computer that was used to assemble the final, shipping build had a virus on it... the virus got onto the CD image and got sent out on every single copy of the product. =P

All computer companies use each other's stuff to some extent. It's a safe bet that there are computers running Linux at Microsoft, for example.

The xbox 360 was tested on a Mac G5 workstation :P
In response to King Gunnerblast
Yeah, I know. That's because at the time, the G5 was the most powerful CPU in the world. Of course, Apple's CPU design was super inefficient. Because of this, the G5 is also I think the first CPU to have water-cooling as a standard.

If Intel had given out some Conroes during the summer to developers (They had already given a fricken Kentsfield to Coolaler, so they definately have already gotten the design of the Conroes down.), you would have Developers testing on high-end PCs.
In response to D4RK3 54B3R
D4RK3 54B3R wrote:
Yeah, I know. That's because at the time, the G5 was the most powerful CPU in the world. Of course, Apple's CPU design was super inefficient. Because of this, the G5 is also I think the first CPU to have water-cooling as a standard.

If Intel had given out some Conroes during the summer to developers (They had already given a fricken Kentsfield to Coolaler, so they definately have already gotten the design of the Conroes down.), you would have Developers testing on high-end PCs.

Wow. I can count the number of true statements above on one finger. ;)
In response to Mike H
Is it your middle finger?
In response to Mike H
Which one of them is true? I thought he was just full of it.
In response to Dark_Shadow_Ninja
Dark_Shadow_Ninja wrote:
Which one of them is true? I thought he was just full of it.

"the G5 is also I think the first CPU to have water-cooling as a standard."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Liquid_cooling_for_computers
In response to Mike H
Oh?
The Apple Macintosh G5 was the first mainstream desktop computer to have watercooling (for the CPU) as standard.

Yeah...

What did I say was inaccurate?

Intel DID give a Kentsfield processor to a guy named Coolaler for benchmarking during the summer. I can pull up the website with the benchmarks if I need to.

If I remember correctly, the G5's POWER4 CPU was the most powerful CPU available to the public. I obviously wasn't taking super-computers like Crays into account when I said that.

[EDIT]: Okay fine, IBM's CPU Design for Apple was super-inefficient. That's one. Come on, give me the rest.
Yeah well, I'm sticking to my AMDs :P
D4RK3 54B3R wrote:
What did I say was inaccurate?

Intel DID give a Kentsfield processor to a guy named Coolaler for benchmarking during the summer. I can pull up the website with the benchmarks if I need to.

Sure, but that was 2 years after the Xbox 360 was already in development (and indeed, 7-8 months after it was released to the public!). There's no possible way a Conroe or anything of the sort could have been used in Xbox 360 testing, based on the timeline alone.

If I remember correctly, the G5's POWER4 CPU was the most powerful CPU available to the public. I obviously wasn't taking super-computers like Crays into account when I said that.

The G5 is a POWER4 derivative, but it lacks the full featureset of the POWER4 architecture. Moreover, any claims at any time that it was the most powerful CPU available to the public were nothing but Apple marketing hype -- carefully crafted lies. Just like their famous Photoshop bake-offs where tests were carefully rigged to ensure a special case victory. Same as their claims that the G5 was the world's first 64-bit desktop computer, which were equally ludicrous. And just the same as their current claims that the new Intel Macs are 5 times faster than PowerPC Macs -- based on rigged benchmarks that have nothing to do with real world computing.

Don't believe anything marketing tells you. ;)

[EDIT]: Okay fine, IBM's CPU Design for Apple was super-inefficient. That's one. Come on, give me the rest.

Yes, IBM makes the G5 CPU, but I wouldn't call it super inefficient. I assume you're talking about electrical power usage (thus heat output). The G5 uses 42 W at 1.8 GHz. Compare that to the Pentium 4 (which is slower clock for clock), using a whopping 67 W at 2.4 GHz, or up to 115 W at 3.6 GHz. Similar story for Athlons.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/CPU_power_dissipation

What IBM had trouble with was creating a lower power version (~30 W range) of the G5 that was suitable for notebook computers. Some have speculated that they didn't really try, because they were more interested in the console market by that time. They make both the Xbox 360 and the Playstation 3 CPUs.

The reason the G5 was used in test kits for the Xbox 360 is that both it and the Xenon (Xbox 360's CPU) are PowerPC.

Before the launch of the Xbox 360, several alpha development kits were spotted using Apple Power Mac G5 hardware. Games running on these were reported to be using 25-30 % of the actual systems power..[6] Microsoft chose to use these systems for their PowerPC architecture, which is similar to that of the Xenon CPU used in the system.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Xbox_360

Nothing to do with the assertion that the G5 was more powerful than anything else, and certainly doesn't mean that the Conroe would be used for such purposes today. Any Intel CPU is completely unsuited for the task, regardless of overall computing power, as it is totally incompatible with the PowerPC architecture.

There, you have been informed. ;)
In response to Mike H
Mike H wrote:
There, you have been informed. ;)

Amen to that. I see the new light now.