ID:277208

http://www.techpowerup.com/?19759

Looks like fun. I wonder what kind of effect this will have in the future...
Now that's an interesting idea.
I can't imagine how much fun developers would have trying to program for 512 cores.

~Kujila
Woot, I can finally play ultra-HD civilisation!
In response to Kujila
I don't know much about multi-thread technology and dual-cores and such, but I imagine that it wouldn't be up to the developer. Right now software needs to be rewritten if it is to take advantage of multiple cores, but when multiple cores become the norm I imagine all that would be taken care of automatically at OS-level or lower.

You'd give the computer a number of instructions and it'd intelligently hand out the workload between the 1024 cores that are running under the hood (imagine how many games of lemmings you could run simultaenously!).

That said I don't know anything about it, so it's just wishful thinking on my part.
In response to Elation
Right. Developers didn't have to change programs specifically for HT, the processor done it intelligently. Windows XP offers some multicore features, though I don't know the extent of them.
In response to Elation
To take advantage of all 512 cores, you would need to have 512 different threads running. That's an insane amount for most practical applications; games can get away with a few, but most of their calculations depend pretty heavily on the results of their other calculations, so the amount of parallel computation you can do is limited.

Where that many cores would really be useful is for certain scientific computations. They can often be designed so that they parallelise as much as you like, since they tend to have individual batches of data that don't depend on the results of the other batches. Threaded chess AI would also work pretty well (Deep Blue anyone?).
In response to Crispy
coding in 32 and 64bit is hard i just have to wonder what the code will look like
In response to Thero
Thero wrote:
coding in 32 and 64bit is hard

Not if you know what you're doing.