ID:2774142

Hey all, I probably should have posted here a lot sooner.

Been having an issue with Dream Seeker for about a month or two now where after joining an SS13 Server for around 20 or some minutes, the game will hang. The client stops responding and nothing can be interacted with. This will last for around 40 seconds, after that the chatbox will scroll really quickly through a bunch of messages and then hang again for another another 40 seconds. This repeats for an indeterminate amount of time until it stops. The client will then run fine for a few minutes, and then it will hang again and repeat the exact same cycle.

I have tried reinstalling the game, turning off my antivirus, using older versions of Byond. The hang still persists

The issue is frequent, and has completely stopped me from playing the games I want to play. In addition, the hangs do not seem to always generate a report in Event Viewer, but I managed to get one two weeks ago:

Description
A problem caused this program to stop interacting with Windows.
Faulting Application Path: C:\Program Files (x86)\BYOND\bin\dreamseeker.exe

Problem signature
Problem Event Name: AppHangB1
Application Name: dreamseeker.exe
Application Version: 5.0.514.1581
Application Timestamp: 621704fb
Hang Signature: aace
Hang Type: 134217728
OS Version: 10.0.19044.2.0.0.768.101
Locale ID: 2057
Additional Hang Signature 1: aace2ddacd9bdfae9110a4c11a43a081
Additional Hang Signature 2: 3914
Additional Hang Signature 3: 3914143fd0b508d343df6c753d62a331
Additional Hang Signature 4: aace
Additional Hang Signature 5: aace2ddacd9bdfae9110a4c11a43a081
Additional Hang Signature 6: 3914
Additional Hang Signature 7: 3914143fd0b508d343df6c753d62a331

Extra information about the problem
Bucket ID: 01ab7945cf0750c28192517e2925b551 (1266164047542596945)

If you need any extra information, let me know. I wanna get this sorted.
In order to diagnose a hang, you'll need to break in with a debugger and generate a small minidump file. (The file size shouldn't be any bigger than a few megabytes.) Either that, or I would need a way to reproduce the issue reliably on my end. If you do get a minidump, you can send it to me and I can take a look.

The process I would suggest is to download Windows debugging tools, open WinDbg x86, attach the Dream Seeker process, and when you get a hang, do this in the WinDbg console:

.dump /m

That should generate a minidump file.
In response to Lummox JR
Alrighty, followed exactly as you said and I should have the Minidump File. What's the best way to send it to you? Not seeing any way to attach files to Forum Replies or DMs. I've uploaded the crash dump to my own personal files however.

Edit: I'm dumb. I uploaded the Minidump to my One Drive, and I've DM'd you the link to the file.
I am having the exact same issue. It is like clockwork every 15 minutes.
Wrench-1's minidump didn't show the issue so maybe you'll have better luck getting one yourself. I definitely want to get to the bottom of the problem.
I am on a laptop and cant find out how to run the file
Ill get you the dump file.

Some additional insights.

Downgrading to 514.1543 didn't solve the issue. I am seeing this behavior on all ss13 servers I've tried. It is every 15 minutes for me which made me think its a batch job or something on my back end. Still investigating will get the dump file once I have a stable server that isnt under heavy DDOS.
My issue is resolved after disabling a USB Input Device listing in my device manager. There was a USB Input Device that didnt trace back to an in use device. Once disabled the process hanging stopped.