ID:277655

i was thinking last night about a game idea. For a RPG It would be like WOW for Byond. One big "Bastard" child of an RPG like over 200 Different kinds of monsters and 200 different boss's Ect. Tons of armors for each class, Huge maps/Realms Etc. Three Servers Otaka,Kemono, & Gonzoko ,Tons of weapons for different class's,party system and so on. No name as of yet either. and no idea of the battle system but i am putting this all down on note pad. I printed them out last night and it came to 23 pages.

1)What i need is if i made such a game would you play it?
2)Or would it just be there to rot in byonds RPG section?
3)Ideas on how the battle system should it be? the most wanted system would win such as point and click turned based real time and so on
4)Could this be done?

Thank you for your time.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
X-tremEdge
If the game is good and fun, it is virtually irrelevant how many types of monsters you have. 60 may be the same as 6000 to me. After a while it just gets really repetitive and you find that most the monsters are the same. Even if one is a "Wolf" and one is a "Boar" if they have virtually the same A.I (and they will unless you are an A.I PhD) its the same monster really... might as well call them "Slime A" through to "Slime Z".

~Ease~
In response to Ease
Well the Ai traits i thought of so far is if there is 3 wolfs then wolf one is set to Aggression and one will be conserve and another set to Medium whic is basically a mix of those 2 randomized Aggression is like full on out attack Conserve would be like a hit hit then like back off to regain some stuff and hit hit well a wolf would not be the best example lol maybe like a dark mage or something ones is healing others while the other one is attacking and another is attacking casting magic and healing when needed. So not all the Ai would act the same and would give more depth to them. Also there will be quest forgot about that one. Lvls will go up to 200
rather then the 100 thing. Hmm what else could i do with the Ai to make it unique. Thats why i asked for ideas :D.
If its not a half [baked] game [heck] yeah I would play it. The only problem is that no one on Byond is that dedicated to make a huge project like that. You would have to get a team that you know will stick with it till the end.

[let's try not to cuss in the public boards please! -thanks, the digitalmouse]
In response to Knifo
Knifo wrote:
If its not a half ass game hell yeah I would play it. The only problem is that no one on Byond is that dedicated to make a huge project like that. You would have to get a team that you know will stick with it till the end.

No team just me No gm's and every thing will be done by a bot or by the players such as boots spamming would be by a bot as well as Muting could go either way think of the GOA system the only thing i will have is ban and ip ban also i am getting an outside person to do the mapping and as for code i will be doing and some done by vancegeto
Why not build BYOND's first small, quality RPG first?

Besides, you might actually finish that.
In response to Foomer
I already got a small one coming almost finished like maybe 20% left in code. Same Ai issue and maybe like 15 armors for each race there is 3 races and 15 weapons and stuff like that 200x200 maps 25 maps not bad
In response to Foomer
I'm working on a project similar to that. But alot smaller of a scale. 6 races 6 classes. 28 race/class combinations.
In response to Darkdemonrad
Darkdemonrad wrote:
I'm working on a project similar to that. But alot smaller of a scale. 6 races 6 classes. 28 race/class combinations.

0.0 nvm i'll just wait till his is done XD .
One thing I love about BYOND is that most of what you mentioned can very easily be done with minimal effort.
In the game I am making it is pretty small scale (one town and it's surrounding area and one dungeon), but it has... In excess of 1 million different weapons, as well as hundreds of thousands of different monsters.
How? Pretty simple. Everything is edited or generated on the fly.
A Longsword for example can be made from Bronze, Iron, Steel, Mythril, Orihalcon, Adamantanium, Silver or Gold. It can also be upgraded to +10, and when being crafted special properties can be added to it (currently from a list of about 50, but adding the same proterty twice boosts it's effect).
Basically, the only solid, hardcoded object is a "Longsword", but in the game that can be turned into hundreds of different items such as a Steel Longsword of Fire or a +7 Adamantite Longsword of Dragonslaying and so on.
It is similar for monsters too. All enemies have stats, skills/magic and feats (passive abilities), when they are generated their base stats will be randomized (from -20% to +20%) and they will pick a certain number of skills/spells and feats from a list of possible abilities for that type of monster to have.
A simple Bear for example might have the following base stats.
100 Hp
0 Mp
30 Str
15 Agi
5 Int
And be able to learn the following attacks
Bite
Maul
Bash
Bear Hug
And the following feats
Sharp Claws
Thick Hide

And when the bear is generated in game it's stats will be randomized, meaning it will look more like
80-120 Hp
0 Mp
24-36 Str
12-18 Agi
4-6 Int
And it will pick two attacks from that list as well as a single feat.
So every bear you fight will be different. One time the bear could have low Hp and defence, but more attack as well as offensive abilities, making it easy to kill, but very dangerous to fight. Another bear could be poor offensively, but have a lot of Hp and defence, making it hard to hurt and kill.

As for classes... Hahaha, who needs them? Adding 50 classes if good and all, but adding a lot of character customization beats even 10000 classes any day. In my game, there is no classes at all, and character customization is pretty extensive and it is easily possible for every single player in the game to have a totally different "class".

Actually. If you want to use numbers and how much of something does a game have (items, monsters, classes and so on) my game totally dwarfs WoW in every aspect except for the size of the world (then again, I don't particularly fancy making players walk for anywhere from 30 to 60 minutes just to get to the next town!)

And strangely enough, everything I mentioned is actually pretty easy to do.
For weapons/armor, once you've programmed in all of the special properties they can have and their effects (50 of them) and then made a system in the game that can be used to make or change weapons/armor (such as an upgrade/crafting system) you don't need to do anything else.
It is a similar story for monsters. Adding the randomization is easy. Programming in all of the skills/spells and feats takes a bit of time, but then so would programming in 200 different monsters all with their own skills/abilities/feats. And my way you end up with a lot more monsters (and a lot of things can be recycled, for example, any monster with fangs could learn the bite attack, any monster with claws could learn sharp claws and so on).
Even not including classes is much more simple. I can either program into the game 100 skills, 100 magic spells and 100 feats from which the players can mix and match from. Or I can make 10 classes, each with 10 skills/magic spells/feats... And where is the difference? Other than my way players end up with a lot more flexibility with their character.

The only thing that would take more work to do would be adding a bigger world with more locations. But personally, I would rather have a small world with fewer locations than a big world with lots of locations that take hours to walk to, which in WoW it can seriously take... Hell, in WoW the world is simply too big, and 95% of the entire game consists of WALKING. They could have easily made the game half or even a quater of the size and it wouldn't have effected the game in anyway at all (other than I wouldn't have had to walk so god damn much!).

Anyway. I got off track a bit, but the moral of the story is, a lot of things can be done to a game to add more content to it without it requiring a lot of work (well, not as much).
Also, as someone said. Making a game the scale of WoW is not something just anyone can do. It'd take a hell of a lot of time and even more effort.
Make a smaller scale game, you might actually finish it!