ID:2779286

Spring has arrived, and you know what that means, kids. That's right! Several inches of snow. And also Within BYOND #152, which was way better because I didn't have to clean it off of my car.

Development was all over the place this week but I did some more fixes for 514, and buttoned up more stuff for 515. I also decided on another 515 feature that sounded a lot cooler in my head before I had to implement it, but when I got down to it I realized... nope, not a great idea. It definitely wasn't worth pushing anything back over.

As strange as it sounds, several users whose opinions I respect have brought me around to the idea of embracing crypto, but I'm going to do it in a way that will benefit the platform, players, and creators. Players will be able to opt into mining cryptocurrency (the opt-in part is important) while they play games, even if they're just sitting idle, which is great for the kinds of RPGs BYOND excels at. Results of that mining can then be split three ways: with a piece going to BYOND, a piece to the creators, and possibly a piece back to the players depending on whether the game owners want to do that or give in-game perks instead. I'm in negotiations with several upcoming currencies now that are showing a great deal of promise on the market, but this idea should be usable for multiple currencies so we're probably looking at a series of different swappable modules to choose from. Let's fire up those GPUs and get to mining, people!

Frankly I've also wondered if it's time to bring back the old blogs. On the one hand they caused a lot of drama that took away from both development and the quality of the community. On the other, they were kind of ahead of their time in some ways and there's reason to believe that with the big social media platforms sucking so badly, there's a lot of room for old ideas to become new again if they're done in a new way. Lots of people have asked for this, but the passing of time has brought out some much better reasons to take the idea seriously. So I've begun a little side project to make support for this a little easier to manage this time around, and you can expect to see some changes on that front in the coming months.

Thanks everyone for your support last month, helping keep this crazy train rolling. BYOND Members are the best.

I'm hoping with any luck I'll finally get to have a zoo day again this year, for the first time in forever. It's been a series of disasters from one year to the next, but hopefully this year we can forestall nuclear winter and the collapse of civilization long enough for a bit of spring. Put on a happy face, mak gam, and remember not to marry an emotionally abusive narcissist or use the GDP of a small country to isolate yourself from people who'll tell you uncomfortable truths to encourage you to get the help you desperately need.

As strange as it sounds, several users whose opinions I respect have brought me around to the idea of embracing crypto, but I'm going to do it in a way that will benefit the platform, players, and creators. Players will be able to opt into mining cryptocurrency (the opt-in part is important) while they play games

God DM-CUDA please my beloved
Lummox JR wrote:
Frankly I've also wondered if it's time to bring back the old blogs.

O: will we be able modify the page's layout like we did before?

Lummox JR wrote:
and remember not to marry an emotionally abusive narcissist

They learn to like it, and shit, some of em are into it LOL
For the love of god, please let us define wallets at runtime. Don't chain us to byond accounts and the website anymore...
As strange as it sounds, several users whose opinions I respect have brought me around to the idea of embracing crypto, but I'm going to do it in a way that will benefit the platform, players, and creators.

Are you seriously considering crypto mining over much needed features such as being able to build to an exe or removing the god awful advertisements (Which is still broken by the way)?

I don’t really need to explain why nobody takes the engine seriously. I love what BYOND has given us over the years, but it’s incredibly depressing watching the engine being held back.
In response to Lavenblade
Lavenblade wrote:
Are you seriously considering crypto mining over much needed features such as being able to build to an exe or removing the god awful advertisements (Which is still broken by the way)?

You should check out his OnlyFans, going pretty hard on 515.
In response to Kozuma3
Kozuma3 wrote:
Lavenblade wrote:

You should check out his OnlyFans, going pretty hard on 515.
I’m not sure if it was a poor attempt at an april fools joke, but it’s hard to laugh when I poke around and see the same broken shit.

The ad system is so fucking bad, and for what? Is he really being paid for us to stare at a black screen?

Sounds like Google wouldn’t be too happy if that was the case.
Lavenblade wrote:
I’m not sure if it was a poor attempt at an april fools joke, but it’s hard to laugh when I poke around and see the same broken shit.

Hopefully everyone has other sources of income and aren't actually wasting 100% of their life on BYOND. When younger I think it's fair to have glorious ideas of ruling the world with a 2D game of tag.

But honestly, after taxes and a year of working you should of earned $$,$$$ which is way more than anything BYOND could give you.
Lavenblade wrote:
As strange as it sounds, several users whose opinions I respect have brought me around to the idea of embracing crypto, but I'm going to do it in a way that will benefit the platform, players, and creators.

I don’t really need to explain why nobody takes the engine seriously. I love what BYOND has given us over the years, but it’s incredibly depressing watching the engine being held back.

(Look at the date of the OP.)
In response to Ter13
And the first letter of each sentence.
Lavenblade wrote:

Lavenblade wrote:
much needed features such as being able to build to an exe or removing the god awful advertisements (Which is still broken by the way)?

Lavenblade wrote:
The ad system is so fucking bad, and for what? Is he really being paid for us to stare at a black screen?

It's hard to laugh when one of your favorite game engines growing up has turned into what it is today.

I can't really tell what is an actual joke around here anymore, and that's just sad.

Even if I made an executable that acts as a wrapper, from what I understand I'd be breaking a license agreement (for ffmpeg?) and there is no way in hell I could justify the sad existence of the current ad system.

This is a whole separate can of worms that probably shouldn't be in this topic, but haha guys so funny. 0/10
Lavenblade wrote:
It's hard to laugh when one of your favorite game engines growing up has turned into what it is today.

99%

I can't really tell what is an actual joke around here anymore, and that's just sad.

99% of the BYOND users/devs

Even if I made an executable that acts as a wrapper, from what I understand I'd be breaking a license agreement (for ffmpeg?) and there is no way in hell I could justify the sad existence of the current ad system.

They never taught me this in school.

This is a whole separate can of worms that probably shouldn't be in this topic, but haha guys so funny. 0/10

gib lummy money NOW or I WILL!
Just seen this and peaked my fancy :D