ID:277943

http://googleblog.blogspot.com/2008/09/ fresh-take-on-browser.html

It looks like Google's trying something new. They've included somewhat of a "preview" in the form of a comic. It explains what Chrome does behind the scenes and how it works.

http://www.google.com/googlebooks/chrome/#
I don't know if there is a market for it, but I'm glad to see Google try. I think Firefox works just fine as a browser, and the is Opera, Safari, and IE for people who don't care for Firefox. The thing is, from what I've read about the Google Browser, all of the there browsers are more feature rich, and I doubt the Google Browser will be any faster.

I'm a Google fanboy, but I have a feeling this will never get off the ground.
In response to Danial.Beta
http://www.google.com/chrome/
Chrome, its out now! I am now downloading, hopefully it wont be a failure...
I like the interface (if you ignore the tab bar location) and it's fast. All it needs is ports of the Firefox extensions I can't live without and I'd start using it full time.
In response to Smoko
The tab bar IS annoyingly high, but I like the added 20pixels at the very bottom of the screen. For the tab bar, I'll get used to it. As far as I am concerned it's a great browser(so far).
In response to Bobomaster
I agree with every who has posted so far (who are pro-Chrome). If no one noticed, Chrome uses slightly less RAM (a few MBs less). And I've gotta, say it is going to be very helpful for web programmers.
"Why is this application downloading the ENTIRE INTERNET?"
In response to CaptFalcon33035
Ehh its not that great fair enough its faster but ugly and no Firefox extensions which i pretty much need.
In response to A.T.H.K
Well, it just came out. Give it time and I'm sure they will pop up.
In response to Mega fart cannon
True, it would be funny if they just use Firefox's source :P
In response to A.T.H.K
A.T.H.K wrote:
Ehh its not that great

After reading that comic, I'm quite convinced that Google is the best web browser to date and getting better!
In response to Bobomaster
I thought that for a few seconds, but then I adjusted to the idea that the address bar was inside of the tab and it all suddenly worked for me. And I like that they shaved 20 pixels out by combining the title bar and the tab list.

After a little time with GIMP, I was able to mockup an edit to the interface that could save around 15-20 more pixels just by removing some of the extra padding everywhere. That that point it becomes a very sleek browser, but right now it's just the least bloated in a market of bloated browsers.

If they have a good theme ability, than this could be fixed rather fast with a few edits, and I would love to see it.

If everyone I knew wasn't already using Firefox and loving it, I might suggest Chrome to them.
about:%
In response to SuperAntx
That's interesting. about:% crashes it, completely. Not just the tab you enter it into. Unless it was a planned crash command, this proves that the multi-process system is far from bullet proof.
In response to Danial.Beta
Danial.Beta wrote:
That's interesting. about:% crashes it, completely. Not just the tab you enter it into. Unless it was a planned crash command, this proves that the multi-process system is far from bullet proof.

Well, given that the browser is in beta the Sandbox is in beta as well. So yeah, I doubt its bulletproof.

In general about Chrome, if you're curious why some of us are very happy about it, check out their 52 minute talk on it that explains a lot of things more in-depth (How V8 works, a lot of neat features they don't even mention anywhere else, design decisions, etc).
In response to SuperAntx
Chrome vs Firefox vs Internet Explorer

Firefox displays the page just fine while Chrome shows the exact same errors as Internet Explorer.
In response to Alathon
Don't worry, I don't expect it to be perfect, as it is a beta. My guess is that the main controlling chrome.exe is crashing on the bad URL, which means the child chrome.exes don't know what to do, so they closed.

I find plenty interesting about it. It takes some things in very good directions, especially when the browser is arguably the single most important piece of software for home users, and it's increasingly a problem for corporate users(AKA Malware). I'm really hoping to see these concepts taken into browsers I already love, specifically Firefox. And I would love nothing more than for IE to take many of the security features of Chrome.

I haven't watched the talk on it, mostly because I'm currently at work, but I might try to download and throw it on my phone.
In response to SuperAntx
There's a very good chance that it's a HTML/CSS problem, and Firefox just handles it in a different way, so it wasn't caught.
In response to SuperAntx
SuperAntx wrote:
Firefox displays the page just fine while Chrome shows the exact same errors as Internet Explorer.

Chrome uses WebKit, which is the same rendering engine as Safari. Expect pages in Chrome to show up the same as in Safari, not IE.
11.1 You retain copyright and any other rights you already hold in Content which you submit, post or display on or through, the Services. By submitting, posting or displaying the content you give Google a perpetual, irrevocable, worldwide, royalty-free, and non-exclusive license to reproduce, adapt, modify, translate, publish, publicly perform, publicly display and distribute any Content which you submit, post or display on or through, the Services. This license is for the sole purpose of enabling Google to display, distribute and promote the Services and may be revoked for certain Services as defined in the Additional Terms of those Services.

Anything you post or upload while using Chrome can be used by Google.

More about the EULA here.

There's also a serious security flaw detailed at ReadWriteWeb. Basically people can force you to automatically download and run Java applications. You may test it here. The link will automatically download and run a Java clone of notepad.exe; it's safe.

For the record, Firefox still catches the file and asks if you want to download it. ;)
Page: 1 2 3