ID:278030

I play Guild Wars and I noticed an option within the game that allows Anti-Aliasing. What is anti aliasing?
Basically they render the scene multiple times, moving the scene ever so slightly and blending that in with the current picture. That gets rid of most or all of the jagged edges that you see around objects. It's a nice thing if you can have the game run it and still be smooth.

George Gough
Easiest way to find answers to "what is ...?" questions:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anti-aliasing
In response to KodeNerd
KodeNerd wrote:
Basically they render the scene multiple times, moving the scene ever so slightly and blending that in with the current picture. That gets rid of most or all of the jagged edges that you see around objects. It's a nice thing if you can have the game run it and still be smooth.

Actually anti-aliasing usually does not involve multiple renders. Typically how it'd be done is that near the borders of objects, the resolution is enhanced and the pixels are broken up into sub-pixels. This is done to the point where the level of detail gets very fine, and then the sub-pixels are combined into a single pixel for display.

In more generic terms, anti-aliasing refers to any technique used to prevent artifacts from the fact that a display is broken up into pixels.

Lummox JR
In response to Lummox JR
So it basically makes things look "smoother"?
In response to Lummox JR
My mistake, I'll have to look at checking out other methods cause I've been doing it the way I described. Then again, I didn't really think that was the best way to do it.

George Gough
In response to KodeNerd
There are many techniques for anti-aliasing. The one I described is called adaptive AA because it tries to blend only when it's near an object boundary or when two pixel values in a texture are different. Another technique, which is more straightforward, is to render the whole scene at a higher resolution and then scale down smoothly; however this is usually avoided past a certain depth as it's not ideal.

Lummox JR
In response to Lummox JR
Thanks Lummox. Spent a little while getting information on how to do those. I'm going to get started once I finish what I'm working on right now.

George Gough
In response to Lummox JR
Lummox JR wrote:
anti-aliasing refers to any technique used to prevent artifacts from the fact that a display is broken up into pixels.

Any technique that is used to prevent artifacts from a fact?
In response to CaptFalcon33035
from the fact*

Don't worry, I read it how you did too, at first glance.
In response to Stephen001
Stephen001 wrote:
from the fact*

Don't worry, I read it how you did too, at first glance.

I still don't get it, I need help here sir.
In response to Mizukouken Ketsu
Yup. It cleans up lines. It's kinda like the difference between using the line tool in Paint and the brush tool in Photoshop. They both create a line, but one looks jagged and the other looks smooth.
In response to Danial.Beta
My old HP Pavillion desktop PC P3 processor and like 64MB VRAM, had the anti-aliasing option in the in-game Options menu. Now, I don't know why, bu my Dell Dimension 4600C desktop PC P4 processor and 96MB VRAM, and it does NOT have the anti-aliasing option. >_> Why? No idea.
In response to Mizukouken Ketsu
Well, I have no idea what game you are talking about, so I can't say, but there is a good chance that your graphics card doesn't support the DX9 anti-aliasing(or it doesn't support DX9 and uses some older version).
In response to Danial.Beta
But I have DirectX9.0c o.O