ID:278037

So yeah, I have a flash drive that has a 16 GB capacity. When I copy a single file to my flash drive, it works. When I copy a folder, it works aswell, until I plug the flash drive off my computer, after doing that, if I connect it to my pc or another one, it shows only an empty folder or more depending on how many I actually tried to copy. What could be wrong ? And I've double checked and the files ARE there before I remove the flash drive. Also, I do remove it safely via the hardware manager.
Pen = USB flash drive?
In response to Jeff8500
Yes. Sorry for the confusion it may have aroused, it's just I never thought of the actual PEN object. Around here we call flash drives "pen". :/
Reformat it and make sure the file system is Fat.
In response to Danial.Beta
It is, FAT32. I tried that out, but to no good.
In response to Andre-g1
That's what I assumed, no harm caused :P
Sorry for the apparent bump seeing as it's still on the first page, but I really need help with this situation. I hope with this bump I can catch the eye of someone who's keen with using flash drives and knows something about my issue.
In response to Andre-g1
It could be that your Flash Drive is set to a Read-Only setting. Just an idea.
The files in the folders aren't set to hidden? If they were it's possible your PC has 'show hidden files' on while the other PC hides them.
In response to DarkView
Thanks for the tries guys.

@ MK - If they were on read-only, they'd still appear in the flash drive, I just couldn't modify or use them.

@ DV - Even if I try on the same computer they disappear. And it says the folder is empty, which it doesn't when we hide files, AFAIK. I'll test it thouroughly later. :)
In response to Andre-g1
No, if the flash drive was on read only, you wouldn't be able to modify the flash drive itself, not the files on it. So you wouldn't be able to delete or write files off/to it.
In response to Mizukouken Ketsu
Well but it isn't because I can write files to it and use them as long as I don't disconnect it from my computer.
In response to Andre-g1
Just because the process completes, doesn't mean it's not on "read only". When you first transfer the files, it's on the USB's RAM, not HDD yet. When you 'safely remove hardware', it changes that RAM into actual memory, in other words, it's being put onto the HDD permanently or until deletion. Same thing with a Word document and your computer's HDD. The word document doesn't technically "exist" until you save it, right? It's just being stored on the computer's RAM. When you save the document, it's move onto the computer's HDD. Same concept with the flash drive.
Then why would saving a single file work and not a folder ? It's not on read-only.
In response to Andre-g1
Maybe it works like a messenger's file transfer feature. You need to zip (compress) the folder so it's like one file, rather than a whole bunch. o.O
Well with copying to USB, it doesn't really sit in USB drive's "RAM" until committed, because the USB drive's "RAM" is a few MB cache intended as a send/receive-buffer. The send-receive buffer is intended to (surprise surprise) buffer data in the event that the HDD cannot write fast enough or the on-device USB controller is overloaded and cannot send fast enough. There is a delayed copy from one device to another in Windows, resulting from the virtual file-system not actually executing the copy request until a number of CPU-load / USB load requirements have been filled. I'm not too familiar with the Windows vfs, but I'd guess it doesn't even load the file into RAM when the initial copy request is received. It probably just points to the old file, then will do a literal commit to USB if you modify that file or when the requirements have been met. But yes, either way the vfs commits requests when you "safely remove hardware".

The glory of Windows means I really can't offer much in the way of testing for this problem. Does the problem also occur on other systems, or with other USB drives?
In response to Stephen001
If by systems you mean other OS's, I haven't been able to test that. If you mean computers, yes it does.

No, it doesn't happen with other USB flash drives, but it continues to happen if I connect it to a diferent USB port.

I'm really clueless as to why this is happening :/
In response to Andre-g1
Sounds like your USB drive is at fault. Your best bet is to get it replaced.