ID:278094

For some reason whenever I play music, the singers' voices sound like they would if you moved the casette or record faster than it usually spins, creating that "Alvin and the Chipmunks" kind of voice. I don't know how or why it's doing that. It was kind of cool at first but now it's just annoying >.< Can anyone help my dilemma? I've tried slowing down the hardware acceleration and reinstalling the audio driver, but to no avail :(
You should probably check whether this occurs with all sound or not; it may just be a specific program judging by what you said.
In response to Jeff8500
Any music I play, is affected by this "Alvin and the Chipmunks" thing >_> It's hard to tell with other sound effects in .wav or .aif format

The music I have is either .mp3 or .wma

Could it possibly be Windows Media Player? Although I didn't have this issue when I used this HDD on a different computer :\
In response to Spunky_Girl
Try listening to audio through another program, such as flash (ex. youtube), etc. (I suggest flash because it is easy to do).
In response to Jeff8500
Yes, even videos are sped up :\ Any ideas what's causing this?
Is your system overclocked? If it's overclocked and you didn't adjust any settings so it could tell the real clock rate, that would explain it. Or if such a setting got changed somehow, that could also be the case. Likely this problem will also affect your system time as well.

Lummox JR
In response to Lummox JR
I have no idea if it's overclocked or not. I would sure hope not because it's a fairly old system o.O

Any way I could tell what an overclocked Dell Dimension 4300S with 128MB of VRAM would look like compared to a stock 4300S? (it has an integrated sound chip as far as I'm aware. You know... those three sound outputs in the back or whatever. green, blue, and red/pink >_>)
Update.

I downloaded VLC media player, mainly because I can throttle the speed of the song down a tiny bit, and discovered that VLC also does the "Alvin and the Chipmunks" effect :\

It's just that the sound lags to all hell whenever I play it in VLC :( Even when I throttle the speed down to 0.95x (which makes it actually sound pretty normal).
Do you have a soundcard that lets you apply effects to your output? I used to have a creative soundcard where I could put that "Chipmunk" effect on. Look around in your soundcard settings.
In response to Airjoe
It's an integrated sound card. I don't know where to go to access its settings :\ I just did a file search on the name of the driver, but didn't get any results.
Oh wow nevermind. I downloaded a Windows XP integrated audio driver for my system instead of a Windows 2000 one xD I think it's back to normal now :D