ID:278184

Aside from still running in the background after being cut off, and taking up 90-99CPU when doing so, it also likes to not properly announce to me when someone's online or offline, which has caused my contacts to think I'm avoiding them.

If I can't see that they're online, well what's the point of even using the crap.

Pidgeon:
A multipurpose client - it can act as AIM/YIM/MSN, however it's interface was lacking and customization was terrible.

Is there any free programs similar to Pidgeon? (I might be misspelling it, I used it like two years ago and only for an hour)
Something like http://www.meebo.com/ ?
In response to Schnitzelnagler
It's a IM program in your browser? I didn't see any download options.
But yeah, that sums up the type of program I'm looking for.
Trillian or Miranda IM.
In response to Vic Rattlehead
Yes, it is browser based, including things like Firefox Add-ons.
In response to Schnitzelnagler
Unfortunate, I was hoping for a program. (Accidentally closing my browser/tab happens often due to lag)
Vic Rattlehead wrote:
Unfortunate, I was hoping for a program. (Accidentally closing my browser/tab happens often due to lag)

What browser do you use? Opera allows you to lock tabs to prevent that. I was pretty sure Firefox does, too. If you're not using one of those, you should consider it...
Actually, if you are signed on meebo and try to close the tab (only tested in Firefox, but I'd assume similar behaviour with most every browser), there is a warning message, telling you that you are still signed on meebo and asking if you want to continue though.

I like the fact that it is embedded to a browser, because of the light weighted nature on resources, as well as the fact that I can use this pretty much everywhere right off the bat.

But I'm not going to preach, so ;)
Vic Rattlehead wrote:
Pidgeon:
A multipurpose client - it can act as AIM/YIM/MSN, however it's interface was lacking and customization was terrible.

I dunno what you're disappointed with about Pidgin's customization. Most of the Pidgin competitors start with the vision of "Pidgin has too many features and too much customization", and go on to create simpler, more streamlined IM clients.

I use Empathy (http://live.gnome.org/Empathy), but it doesn't appear to be available for Windows.
I vouch for and use Miranda IM, a multiprotocol multipurpose client with lots of plugins and customization options.
Vic Rattlehead wrote:
it's interface was lacking and customization was terrible.

Pidgin's interface is probably the slickest of the IM clients, why would you even want to change it in the first place? It's an IM application, not a MySpace page.

If you want addons there are a lot of nifty tools here.
In response to SuperAntx
I really must disagree. Although Pidgin's contact list is good, their IM window is just usable. Google Talk wins, in my book, for the best IM window. Then again, taste is very subjective.
In response to Danial.Beta
Danial.Beta wrote:
Google Talk wins, in my book, for the best IM window.

There's a huge flaw with GTalk though.
In response to SuperAntx
My family and friends use it. Why? Because I use it and if they want to contact me, they do too. That said, I use Pidgin because I don't use Windows. I like the IM "window" for my Palm Pre though. Only issue is sometimes it is easy to mistake who said what, and often when(timestamping only happens after conversation brake). One nice feature is that if you want something removed from history, you just drag it off to the side and it exposes a "delete" button. That way if you, say, send a password over IM but don't want it recorded it is really easy to remove(except GTalk archives all your conversations in GMail which is awesome).

Now that I mention it, the GMail archives are possible the best reason to use GTalk. I've often needed to go back and find something said years ago in an IM conversation, and Google has it nicely organized.
Trillian is nice for the stuff you seem to want.
In response to Howey
Did you mean to reply to me? Trillian wont work for me for many reasons, but most notably because I don't run Windows.

If you are suggesting Trillian's history log is like Google Talk's, you are sadly mistaken. Google keeps the logs on their servers, no matter what client I use. So all my conversations, across my many devices(including my phone) are all searchable and listed in my GMail for future needs. Fantastic.
Danial.Beta wrote:
If you are suggesting Trillian's history log is like Google Talk's, you are sadly mistaken. Google keeps the logs on their servers, no matter what client I use. So all my conversations, across my many devices(including my phone) are all searchable and listed in my GMail for future needs. Fantastic.

Oh, man. Just wait until you get access to Google Wave...
In response to Ryan P
I find it hard to wait! Especially when you consider I already have an HTML5 enabled phone. Wave has the potential to change Internet communication forever(for the good!). It is supposed to be coming up on a public beta in the next few months if I remember the time tables correctly. I really hope they make the transition from GMail to Wave smooth, and I really hope they enable it for Google Apps for my Domain users like myself.
In response to SuperAntx
It's lacking several features MSN has, and for what reason? Hell if I know.
Why can't it have two people on your list if they have the same name? I have two Paul's on my list yet only ONE ever show up.
Solution: None. However, my MSN has been failing even worse now, and doesn't even acknowledge if my friends change their names.

When talking to someone, the input bar isn't resizable, your avatar and the other person's avatar don't show up at ALL, which is silly. What's the purpose of it then?
Solution: ...none? It's more of a quirk than anything, really.

And my last one - when in the MSN part of Pidgin you can't change your description, which is irritating as I like to put song quotes there.
Solution: Log into MSN, put in my description there, press Ctrl+Alt+Delete, end process msnmsngr.exe so it doesn't take up 99CPU, and go back to Pidgin.

And finally: The plugins suck, badly. Hardly any descriptions on ANY of them.
Page: 1 2