ID:278187

anyone know if theres any better program i can use for developing than this out there? it doesn't have to be free just not overpriced.
B-mut wrote:
anyone know if theres any better program i can use for developing than this out there? it doesn't have to be free just not overpriced.

You're going to need to be a bit more specific here.

1: Developing what
2: A bit more information on what you're developing and the demands that your system will have.
3: How much is not overpriced, because much development software is in the hundreds or low thousands.
In response to AJX
sorry about the lack of detail still something i'm working on. well i'm trying to develop a game preferably to be launched by a console, but first PC. its gonna be 3D not the BEST graphics because i focus more on playability, and prices i just mean nothing thats complete crap or theres the sme thing for a lower price.
In response to B-mut
Code::Blocks is just an IDE. There are plenty of good IDE's out there, such as Eclipse, Dev-C++ and many others. Google will help you find one. It really depends on what language you want to use.
In response to B-mut
B-mut wrote:
well i'm trying to develop a game preferably to be launched by a console, but first PC.

If you want something that can be deployed on a console and PC your best bet is going to be using the XNA Game Studio (which uses the C# language)

The XNA Game Studio is free, it is based off of the Microsoft Visual C# Compiler, which is also free. C# (pronounced C sharp) is a language very similar to C++. XNA takes that language one step further with the primary intention of use for game development.

XNA Games can be directly ported to your XBOX 360, but you have to pay to join their dev community for that. Otherwise you can develop a game that could eventually be used for the 360 on your computer for free.
In response to AJX
ok what if i was intending on making a game for the PS3 would that also be achiveable through XNA? i get the feeling it wont XD
In response to B-mut
B-mut wrote:
ok what if i was intending on making a game for the PS3 would that also be achiveable through XNA? i get the feeling it wont XD

AFAIK Sony does not have any free to use versions of their development tools. That means you would have to pay a very hefty sum to be able to develop games for their console.

XNA Game Studio is Microsoft's software, made for the 360. It will only work for the computer or the 360.
In response to B-mut
Your choice of IDE doesn't really matter, so long as you like it and it compiles your code.

If you want to develop games for Windows, I suggest learning the Windows API as well as DirectX and OpenGL. You will want to find good books for each of these; free online tutorials won't quite cut it. You'll also want books for topics ranging from game development/programming to 3D modeling to specific topics such as Artificial Intelligence. If your local library doesn't contain such books, expect to spend a couple hundred dollars on a site like http://amazon.com or spend many an hour scavenging eBay.

If you want to develop games for game consoles, good luck. You can develop small downloadable games for the XBOX Live Community; you'll need to become a premium member of the Creators' Club which costs $99 last I checked, and that may be a monthly fee. If you're looking to develop for the PS3 or Wii, start saving now: SDK licensing is not cheap!

Your best bet is to join an existing team, be it a small one or a large company such as Activision. Likely, in doing so, you will lose a bit of creative freedom (maybe all of it), but it's easier to join a team with access to the necessary tools than to come up with $10k to start building it, followed by financing the development, marketing, and deployment.

There is a reason that companies like Sony and Nintendo and Microsoft don't want every kid that owns a computer making games for their system. It sounds neat at first until suddenly the market for your console is spammed with loads of bad games (think of BYOND's anime rips). A potential customer looking at a system with a slew of good games and one with a majority of crap is going to buy the former. Apple does something similar by arbitrarily denying app submissions to their App Store.
In response to AJX
C# has superficial syntactic similarities with C++, and that's where any common ground ends. C# is a compiled-to-bytecode VM language, whereas C++ is generally compiled to assembly. C++ lets you futz with the computer as much as you like - C# tries to protect you from yourself. C++ is a completely open standard. C# is semi-open, but still quite vulnerable to being locked-in to only a few platforms.
In response to Jp
Jp wrote:
C++ lets you futz with the computer as much as you like - C# tries to protect you from yourself.

That bit isn't strictly true. C# lets you define "unprotected" blocks, inside which you can futz to your heart's content.
In response to Jp
Jp wrote:
C# is a compiled-to-bytecode VM language, whereas C++ is generally compiled to assembly.

According to this article: "Luckily, Microsoft provide a free compiler. Unluckily for many people it compiles down to .NET bytecode, rather than native binary. However, Borland also have a free C# compiler, which comes complete with an IDE and builds native binaries."