In response to Ham Doctor
Not everyone lives where games are available for renting. Especially ones that aren't really mainstream.
In response to Jp
You should stop wasting your time replying to Vic Rattlehead. He's a massive fanboy of the gaming business or a troll. There's no progress in furthering debates either way.
Ham Doctor wrote:
Why not rent the god damn game then? I can pay $1.50 a night to rent a Xbox 360 game.

Tsk, tsk, tsk. Language young man, language.

I believe that I have already stated or implied that I will not be downloading an X-Box 360, Wii, or PS3 game. NDS games cannot, generally, be rented, and I have yet to find a place that rents PC games.

I'm also not going to pitch the money for a Gamefly account to wait two days for a DS game once every few months just to try it for ten minutes before deciding whether or not to buy it.
In response to Vic Rattlehead
Several DRM systems - particularly StarForce and SecuROM - install optical drive filter drivers and/or rootkits on your system to do what they do. The former leaves any optical drive stuff you do at the mercy of the programming ability of the DRM writer - that is, it stuffs it up (And in some cases has actually destroyed optical drives, thanks to StarForce's idiocy setting them to PIO mode), and the latter provides a handy handle for any piece of malware to completely compromise system security, and hide itself while doing so.

DRM systems can interact with each other in ways that prevent games working - Bioshock and Neverwinter Nights 2, for example, both use SecuROM, and some versions of the game would interfere with each other and prevent you installing and running both of them on the same PC.

DRM systems are often installed without asking for your consent, are often difficult to remove, and are often not removed when you uninstall games that use them.

DRM systems can cause general system instability and failure - once again, Neverwinter Nights 2 was famous for being generally glitchy and crashy - including plenty of bluescreens - and a number of those crashes were caused by the DRM system.

I have no problems with any DRM technology that doesn't interfere with my ability to play a game I legally purchased, and doesn't install anything on my computer without consent. If you have a pattern of bad blocks on your disc, and check for them at game startup, fine. I don't care. I do care if you install a rootkit on my computer, without even asking me for permission or indicating you will do so on the game box.

If your PC can't run a game that came out in 95, it has severe problems.

Mech2 is too Windowsy to run in DosBox, and too Dosy to run in Windows XP. It's a compatibility issue, not a poor computer issue.

And personally, I don't give a damn whether or not it's illegal. I care about the morality of the situation. I'll pirate ye olde games if I can't find them IRL, and I'll buy more recent games if I want to play them (Because I can find them IRL), and that's about it. Well, unless more recent game has SecuROM or StarForce or similar, in which case I won't touch it. And when things like the DMCA are passed, it's clear that the law is more beholden to vested interests in this particular case than sanity, common sense, or the public good.
In response to Smoko
Smoko wrote:
You should stop wasting your time replying to Vic Rattlehead. He's a massive fanboy of the gaming business or a troll. There's no progress in furthering debates either way.

I realize this, and that feeding trolls may be bad, but I enjoy it. There are only two real trolls on these forums and they always come out with 'instant classic' responses when provoked.
Homebrew for the Wii doesn't require custom firmware. You install some software on the Wii - software not containing any Nintendo-owned code - and then run it off of an SD card. Assuming the homebrew doesn't contain copyrighted code - say it's WiiQuake or OpenTyrian or whatever - then I don't see why it would be illegal. I know Nintendo claims it is, but Nintendo has sort of a vested interest in the matter, and has previously claimed that buying second-hand games is akin to piracy, so I really don't put much stock in what their lawyers claim.

So, would you care to explain?
Vic Rattlehead wrote:
Because pirates are too cheap. It's a waste of money to buy games, to them. So illegally obtaining them is perfectly fine, because aslong as they're happy, it's okay.

Cool story, bro.
In response to Smoko
Yeah, I'm a troll for thinking pirates are no worse than the common criminal---wait, they're just as bad. Get your uncalled for attitude out of here, and weren't you done replying here?
In response to Smoko
I'm pretty sure even in the smallest town, there's atleast one store that sells games, which unless they're a scam - let you rent it. I know Wal-Mart and BestBuy can let you rent games.
My town doesn't have any rental places, and my country doesn't have Wal-Mart or Best Buy. And I've never heard of a non-rental store renting out games before.
If you consider every single form of piracy totally unacceptable, then yes. And don't forget the emulation and homebrew stuff you've said.

Also, no. I only said I was done replying to you about console vs pc power.
Vic Rattlehead wrote:
I'm pretty sure even in the smallest town, there's atleast one store that sells games, which unless they're a scam - let you rent it. I know Wal-Mart and BestBuy can let you rent games.

Considering that you know Walmart rents games (which is certainly not a company wide policy, I worked there and tried years before) lets just throw what you're pretty sure of out the window.

Your arguing in this thread is completely absurd. It's alright to be completely against pirating. Nobody needs these games to live so you don't need to make baseless claims like "I'm pretty sure even in the smallest town, there's atleast one store that sells games, which unless they're a scam - let you rent it." It's not true, trust me.

For the console > computer thing, I think I can explain this in better terms for you. If you can lift 300 pounds and I can only lift 299 pounds that makes you stronger than me. When you turn a computer on though, it's now using it's strength just being on (lifting 300 pounds). If you ask it to lift 299 more to prove that it's stronger than a console, it may not be able to because it's total lift is now 599 (the computer is trying to run itself and a console).

In response to YMIHere
Ignoring the first part because you tl;dred my post... let's move on:
If it was true that a computer>console, a top-of-the-line I7 would run a PS2 emulator with ease.
I daresay it could emulate one if someone wrote the code to do it. You know it's not that simple, right?
In response to Smoko
PS2 emulators are practically perfected now, only a few games don't run, but you (obviously) need a great PC.
In response to Smoko
Your excuses are so ridiculous it's insane. I live in a 500 population town that has a Family Video and a Walmart. I refuse to believe any sort of resources besides pirating is available to you. Especially if you have internet available.
Protip: Not everyone is American and there are towns with far less than 500 people. These towns generally have no shops or only one shop combined with a post office that sells things like farming supplies, bread/milk/cream/softdrink/newspapers and lollies.

What's ridiculously insane is you thinking that everything else in the world must be like where you live or better. Did you know that some people only have access to 56kb/s internet? Did you know that Satellite internet allows you to use the internet in fairly remote areas? I'm gonna take a guess and say no, because you seem fairly ignorant about other fairly obvious things.
In response to Smoko
If you live in such a town, I don't think you have the money to pay monthly for internet.
Vic Rattlehead wrote:
PS2 emulators are practically perfected now, only a few games don't run, but you (obviously) need a great PC.

I'll have to disagree with this. While PS2 emulation has come a long way since a couple years ago, it's far from perfect.
In response to Mega fart cannon
It runs around half the library, last I checked. I consider that rather good.
Page: 1 2 3 ... 5 6 7 8