In response to Tiberath
How frequently do you actually play them? Not sure about the PS1, but the PS2 is notorious for it's horrible disc-reader.

PS3 suffers similar issues that are apparently fixed with the slim model (only time will tell if that's true).
In response to Moonlight Memento
I had a PS1 which would not let me get past a certain part of FF VII, preventing me from finishing it. I found out later it worked perfectly fine in other PS1's.

PS2's have a tendency to go out of place, particularly if you put it in the side position (ie standing up). A friend had that problem before I even got one (which also happened to be my first console brand new) and that convinced me never to use it standing up.

PS3 disk control is pretty terrible trying to push it in so it does it automatically, although haven't seen problems with it yet.
Moonlight Memento wrote:
How frequently do you actually play them? Not sure about the PS1, but the PS2 is notorious for it's horrible disc-reader.

I left my PS1 running for two weeks solid once (playing Final Fantasy VIII and having to go to bed away from any actual save points (before I realised you could save outside the cities/towns/gardens/etc)). It was used quite a lot and practically replaced my Nintendo 64 until I turned 16.

PS2 we used as often as we possible could. As my brothers and I were absolutely in love with Dead or Alive 2. And we'd constantly spend our days trying to perfect the combos and best one another in duels. Then there was the GTA games. All of which we own (uncensored, take that government!). My eldest brother has finished all of the GTA games, and I've finished San Andreas. So it's safe to say it got a lot of use for a second hand console.

PS3 suffers similar issues that are apparently fixed with the slim model (only time will tell if that's true).

PS3 has been given a pretty good go as well. I've finished Assassins Creed, The Force Within and Heavenly Sword on it, my brother has finished GTA IV on it, and I'm about 3/4 though it. I've also nearly finished Dynasty Warrior: Gundam, which has taken a long, long time on my part. That's completely ignoring party games like Guitar Hero. Which also get played often.

But compared to the other two consoles, it's probably hardly been touched. So I can't judge very well.

Either way, I've never had a problem with them. But the Nintendo 64 is still my most used console. ;)
In response to Tiberath
Again, I've no experience with PS1's... so no comment.

Slim PS2? Either that, or you were quite lucky. One of my PS2's has to have it's disc-reading laser adjusted once a month (which is why I bought a new one, the process was annoying), and it's picky on what games it plays.

Another one I had only played Megaman X8. Literally. Only that game. Megaman X: Command Mission to a point (it lagged like crazy), but I think that's because it has a X8 demo on it <_<;

Another one plays only PS2 games. Then you gave my fourth, which works fine. And no, I don't have it the absurd sideways (standing up) way.

My PS3 is pretty old, and for the past year has seen tons of usage from the Rock Band games. It's experiencing issues such as random lag-spikes and freezing, but not frequent enough for me to worry (out of warranty, so I can't send it back).
Moonlight Memento wrote:
Slim PS2? Either that, or you were quite lucky. One of my PS2's has to have it's disc-reading laser adjusted once a month (which is why I bought a new one, the process was annoying), and it's picky on what games it plays.

Nope, second hand original store bought model. Bought it off a family friend in 2002.

I've always had pretty good luck with my consoles though. I can't think of any console we have that has ever buggered up and stopped working (going all the way back to the NES and Sega.).
In response to Tiberath
Actually, I've had 7 PS2s total.
The first 2 were bought new (when the PS2 came out). One was broken out of the box, the other I still have (and refuses to read most games).

PSPs are total jerks though. It's either the screen cracking out of nowhere, it not reading memory sticks (my first PSP had both), it not reading UMDs (my second PSP did that), and I'm on my third currently. If I should stop posting for some reason, assume the PSP exploded on me. :)
you should get neither..read a book
In response to Kagun
Kagun wrote:

If you have something against the playing of games or the purchasing of game related material, I get the feeling you joined the wrong community. =/
In response to Vic Rattlehead
They're not ports.
In response to Smoko
The definition of port is a game that was on one system (in this case, PS1) being on another (in this case, PSP).

Therefore, one would deduce FF7 on PSN would infact, be a port!
Emuation is different to porting.
In response to Smoko
The concept is the same. Are you trying to start some flame-war or something? Nit-picking over every little detail?
The concept is not the same. Emulation allows for the experience to be more true to the original and once they've been written decently they make it easier to play the same game on multiple platforms, because then you only have to port the emulator, not each and every single game. Not to mention an emulator can be written by anyone with the knowledge and time, whereas a port requires access to the games source code, art and music assets.

And no, I'm not trying to start a flame war. I'm just letting Vic Rattlehead know that he'd be getting the same experience buying PSX games off the PSN that he gets from hacking his PSP and ripping games or playing the original disks in a PS3.
Tales Number TwO wrote:
Which is the best console?I am confused and want to be convinced.

Xbox
- Live but you must pay
- Cheaper
- 3 ring of death problem
- Larger game file
- Best Co-op console
PS3
- Smaller Game Library
- Free Online GAMES!
- More expensive
- Blu Ray
- Better Graphics

The E74/three red LED/Red Ring of Death problem endemic to the XBox 360 was due to improper venting, which caused many overworked 360s to fail from overheating and part warping. They've since rectified the problem and the units sold since that have encountered this problem has either dropped off sharply or dissolved entirely. I bought a 360 Pro January of 2009 and I've had my brother leave it idling overnight many times, I've left it running when I turn around to do something on the PC for a few hours, and its venting conditions aren't even that great (there's about 4 inches to the wall behind that table), and I've yet to have any issue with it. $40 per year for XBox Live isn't that much of a bank-breaker, either. I've spent more than that on my battery charger.

The PS3 has since dropped their price to $299 so the units are similarly priced now, which levels the playing field a bit (though the 360 Elite was dropped $100 and is now the same price as the new PS3 slim) though from what I hear, the PS3 lost all backwards compatibility with PS2 games shortly after its release. The Xbox has spotty support for its last gen, but I suppose "spotty" includes its most popular titles like Halo. Unless you've got really obscure XBox games lying around, I wouldn't consider that an issue. PSN is free, and I've never played a game online on it, so I have no comment as to its quality. I do have a comment regarding the controller, though -- why the hell are they still using the dualshock design? My hands cramp up terribly after a few hours of gaming on any PlayStation unit.

"Better graphics" is something I personally want proof on. Someone get a shot of a game cross-platform to the 360 and PS3 and convince me that this argument in favour of Sony is actually valid.

On to the subject of blu-ray. There is little special about it. There are two reasons HD-DVD died and Blu-ray prospered:

1.) HD-DVD wanted to make it possible to make legal copies of the content on the disc. Mere thoughts of copying blu-ray content is pushing to be illegal. Obviously, in the mindset of our "NO MINE" DRM-infested world, nobody wanted to put their content on HD-DVDs.

b.) Sony and Matsuhita paid out millions in futures.

The only advantage a blu-ray disc has is that it can fit 10 gigs more content per layer on it simply due to the blue laser that is a lot narrower. How much blu-ray content actually utilizes beyond the 15 gigabyte layer capacity of an HD-DVD, I'm not aware. I've also yet to find a non-biased source of any type of proof that a blu-ray disc has superior display quality. This is something else I'd like to actually see a screen capture comparison on.

Given, a blue laser is a step toward progress, but don't give it any undue praise simply because television told you it's better.
In response to Tiberath
Tiberath wrote:
Kagun wrote:

If you have something against the playing of games or the purchasing of game related material, I get the feeling you joined the wrong community. =/

LOL NAH..im jealous cuz i have neither -.-
In response to Smoko
A port is still the same exact thing though. It's being played on a different system than the original, hence the term port.
Xbox 360, that simple. The rings of death doesn't happen much to new Xbox. The live is only $8 a month, and it is much better than PS3's internet.
So an apple is the same as steak? I mean, they're both food, right? Or a car is the exact same thing as a plane or boat or train, because after-all, they're all vehicles.
In response to Smoko
Depends. Does an apple taste -exactly- like a steak? And can a car do -exactly- what a plane, boat or train can?
Funny thing here. Emulation and porting aren't the exact same. Looks like you've just agreed with me. Thanks.
Page: 1 2 3