ID:278258

Hello everyone. Given the fact that we've been removed from Wikipedia, and that BYOND is not very well known, I have an idea which might help us to get BYOND more well-known.

The idea: get ourselves published in The Escapist Magazine, one of the most popular gaming magazines on the internet. If that doesn't make us notable, then what does?

I've already looked over the future articles that they intend to post. On the 26th of January 2010, The Escapist wishes to produce an article relating to user-created content and the communities involved in it. BYOND consists of user-created content all-around, and this may be a good topic in which to introduce ourselves.

I think we should discuss this, and I also think those us that have access to Google Wave should use that medium to produce an article that could be posted on The Escapist. They have some guidelines, but provided we can get past that and if they're willing to include us in their article it would be totally worth it.

The deadline is already set: on the 4th of January 2010 we would have to come up with an article.

Is there anyone willing to pick up the above project? I would love to see an article about BYOND on the Escapist, which would not only bring some advertising but will probably also make us notable in the eyes of Wikipedia. It wouldn't hurt if we could find more about BYOND other than on byond.com.
I'd sure be in for it, though I think there'd be better suited volunteers for writing an article around BYOND.
In response to Schnitzelnagler
Schnitzelnagler wrote:
I'd sure be in for it, though I think there'd be better suited volunteers for writing an article around BYOND.

i'm in the same boat as schnitzel. i'd surely do it, but if someone else who sucks less at transporting thoughts into text shows up they'd be much better suited for the text
In response to Zaole
I nominate Foomer.
In response to Sariat
Sariat wrote:
I nominate Foomer.

i reverse nominate foomer and nominate geldonyetich or tiberath
I've taken it up to contact The Escapist about this. I've written up an e-mail and am about to send it. Let's hope the reply will be positive.
In response to Android Data
Try Gameinformer aswell. They're pretty popular: http://gameinformer.com/
Lately, ever since I made my pixel movement demo replicating gameboy Zelda games, I've taken my engine outside of BYOND to try showing it off. Communities tend to shun BYOND, but when they see what it's capable of, they get a little more turned on. I've gotten good comments from people that never liked BYOND in the past. You just need to be sure to give them good material to look at. There's even material on BYOND that I would cassify as good in the minds of BYONDers, but not good in the minds of people out there playing top of the line online games.
In response to Fugsnarf
That reminds me, we'll definately need some samples of the best games to find on BYOND. The limits may also have to be clearly defined, but deliberately leave the "but we have one full-time programmer working hard to improve BYOND and reduce the existing limitations" since we don't want to sound too limited.

Not that BYOND is limited, of course. This is to you, Mr. Escapist person. (I gave them the URL to this post so they could check out the forum. They may be looking right now! :o)

Limits: pixel-based movement still doesn't work 100% lag-free in multi-player games, client-side processing is still a no-no, half the source-code is still uncommented thanks to Dan.
Multi-player games don't HAVE to be what is done. People seem to get that idea that it's all BYOND is good for. Advertise both possibilites. The best of both worlds.
In response to Zaole
Zaole wrote:
Sariat wrote:
I nominate Foomer.

i reverse nominate foomer and nominate geldonyetich

^
As long as he includes more pictures.
In response to Foomer
Foomer wrote:
Zaole wrote:
Sariat wrote:
I nominate Foomer.

i reverse nominate foomer and nominate geldonyetich

^
As long as he includes more pictures.

I'm good with that as long as Foomer reads it and gives his input on the article.
Apparently they're full. =\

Unfortunately, we’ve already commissioned all the article for the issue you mentioned, but I’ll keep an eye out for places where we can cover you guys – seems like an interesting scene.

Best,

Jordan Deam
Features Editor, Themis Media
2530 Meridian Pkwy, Fl 2, Durham, NC 27713
[email protected]
He really listed his address and real name? Unusual we both live in the same state (if he told the truth).
A past roommate of mine writes for The Escapist. He and dozens (hundreds?) of other writers put in their proposals for articles as soon as the outlines go up, so you have to be pretty fast and on-the-ball to get your articles in that way.

It's a good idea to keep in touch with the editors though, as they might decide to run a piece about BYOND in particular or about how websites like BYOND affect the gaming community, using BYOND as an example.
In response to Zaole
Zaole wrote:
i reverse nominate foomer and nominate geldonyetich or tiberath

I'm honoured, but I doubt I'd be the best person for the job. Writing formal articles/essays was never one of my strong points.
Android Data wrote:
Apparently they're full. =\

That doesn't matter, it's still something we should have reserved in stock anyway.

There might be a time in the near future when another gaming magazine is looking for some nice filler. If we already have an article written up, all we then have to do is alter it so it fits in whatever space is left and fire it off. A process far quicker than writing an article from scratch.

Having a few BYOND friendly articles in storage would probably be a good thing.
In response to Moonlight Memento
Moonlight Memento wrote:
He really listed his address and real name? Unusual we both live in the same state (if he told the truth).

I do. Most business people follow this policy.
In response to Sariat
Isn't this just some random e-zine or something?
In response to Moonlight Memento
Moonlight Memento wrote:
Isn't this just some random e-zine or something?

...with real people who get paid to work real jobs?
Page: 1 2