ID:278277

As opposed to a TV? TV's are quite expensive and buying a new HD one is out of the question.

An HD monitor is quite cheap (in comparison) and would suit my needs fine if it worked. If it does indeed work:
Does it have to be a specific brand?
Are there any complications?
What attachments/special wires (if any) would I need?
What type of connectors does a PS3 use? I know a 360 has an HDMI video output and most modern monitors accept those for input. Most monitors also accept D-sub and DVI as well, so if a PS3 can offer a connector in any three of those types, you're gold. If not, there's an entire industry built on converting connector X to connector Y, so if all else fails, you should be able to find an X to HDMI/D-sub/DVI converter cable (I'd venture component, which is the yellow/white/red connector trio).
In response to Mobius Evalon
Mobius Evalon wrote:
(I'd venture component, which is the yellow/white/red connector trio).

Mobius is spot-on, one tiny correction to prevent confusion though:

Component is red/blue/green and doesn't carry audio IIRC
Composite is red/white/yellow and carries video + stereo sound

The only other challenge is getting audio hooked up.
In response to Polatrite
Polatrite wrote:
Mobius Evalon wrote:
(I'd venture component, which is the yellow/white/red connector trio).

Mobius is spot-on, one tiny correction to prevent confusion though:

Component is red/blue/green and doesn't carry audio IIRC
Composite is red/white/yellow and carries video + stereo sound

Really? I always thought it was simply "component" for the Y/W/R video/audio and "component video" for the R/G/B set. Oh well, terminology noted =p
You just need an HDMI cable, and you're set. Well, if the monitor has an HDMI input, at least.

EDIT: Also, there is no price difference between the monitors and the TVs, if you look at the right ones. However, the monitor would be a bit more beneficial, since it will usually come with a DVI input for your computer, unlike TVs, which don't half the time.
I currently have the setup you desire. You'll need:

1.) HDMI to DVI cable. (Or HDMI cable if your monitor excepts it)
2.) An adapter that allows you to hook up your stereo cables (red and white) and let's you either plug your speakers into it, or allows you to plug it into your soundcard (line-in port).

With this, you get beautiful picture with stereo sound to boot. Good luck.
In response to Jeff8500
A good TV is over 1,000$ (missed out on Black Friday), monitors? No where near that.
In response to Moonlight Memento
Monitors are tiny. Tiny TVs are tiny. Look up the price of a 22 inch HD monitor. Then look up the price of a 22 inch TV. See the similarities? It ultimately depends on the brand, but some brands offer decent quality for lower prices.
In response to Jeff8500
Jeff8500 wrote:
However, the monitor would be a bit more beneficial, since it will usually come with a DVI input for your computer, unlike TVs, which don't half the time.

TVs have HDMI ports which effectively are DVI ports. Just get a converter.

Most TVs do have VGA in, though. You're better off with a TV than a monitor because a TV has HDMI and VGA in, plus a TV tuner (obviously), as well as all the other input goodies. I got my 32" TV for $300; try finding a 32" monitor for anywhere near that.
In response to Jeff8500
Don't feel like price comparing, but there's also the fact that the monitor would only be used for a future PC/gaming consoles, so there's little reason to get a TV if I can just have my monitor multi-task.
You can use a TV for that and more. There's no excuse not to just get a TV.
In response to Radical Designs
What is the excuse to get a TV? A tuner at best. And LCD TV and Monitor of the same size are the same, but their form factor and price may vary. A monitor is designed to sit on a desk with the user only 2' away max, as to where a monitor is made to sit on a shelve and have the viewer several more feet away. If you are planning on sitting at a desk to do your gaming, go for a monitor. If you are sitting a few more feet back, probably go for a TV.
The PS3 offers HDMI so as long as you get a monitor with HDMI you are golden(assuming it has speakers, otherwise you need to get a composite audio to 3.5mm converter and connect it to PC speakers).

If the monitor does not have HDMI make sure it has DVI because it is rather cheap to buy a HDMI to DVI converter. The only issue with doing an HDMI to DVI conversion is that you lose HDCP(the encryption made to prevent piracy) so the PS3 will not let you do full 1080p while in a game and you get limited to 720p. This is not a huge issue because most games are 720p anyways so only a very rare few games would that matter on.
I've already stated it would purely be for gaming though. 2,000$ for a good TV is just retarded. I don't care what distance I'll be from the TV/monitor (maybe one foot or so?).
$2,000? Where are you looking for TVs? I got my 40" LCD for $1,200(post tax) two years ago. Sure, it isn't a 50" LED backlit monsters, but that certainly isn't needed for it to be a good TV. You can now get practically the same TV for $800. Of course this is all if you live in the US. If you look in the <=22" range than it gets considerably cheaper for TVs or computer monitors.
In response to Danial.Beta
The point of getting a TV purely for gaming is that a TV comes with a much larger selection of components to it, for around the same price and you wouldn't have to worry about getting some sort of stupid VGA adapator.

I use a flat panel TV for everything. Computer, television, gaming, it's an all in one media center. And now if you look right, TVs come with some amazing interfaces! My friend got one, who has this Smart Set-Up thing, anything that has that interface on it, will automatically work with the television, no messing around required and it's wireless. It works with some TV/DVD controllers, a wireless DVD player I saw and much more. One TV I saw had a fricking ethernet cable on it, so you could connect it to a network and access a television based web browser!

I can get a 21" flat panel monitor for $129.00 or I can get a 32" flat panel TV for $360.00, the price isn't that big of a difference.
Twice the price is a big difference especially if you don't need the features the TV offers.
No it's not.
Yes, yes it is. Of course everyone's income levels are different, but $130 is not chump change. Especially when you consider that a 32" monitor may be simply way too large for his use. 32" is a sit back size. 21" is a lean forward size. If he has his PS3/computer at his desk it would likely be a lot more comfortable to use the 21" and considerably cheaper.
A new PC will probably be quite some time. I prefer to sit back and play my PS3.
Page: 1 2