ID:278324

I recently have come into possession of a gorgeous NikonD5000, I was contemplating hanging an odd colored background, and posing in costumes for icon art then simply shrinking the photos in photo shop. This would allow for easy stance creation of enemies as well as realistic-esque icons.

I would suspend fishing line with weights to determine where my arms etc should go for the base icon.

Thoughts?
Well this could be a very good way to get textures for 3D models, however shrinking few MP image into one thousand pixels (32x32) would make huge quality loss. Most likely you still would have to edit your icons, to make them look better.
MORTAAAAAL KOMBAAAAAAT
In response to Ripiz
You could just set the icon size to 64x64 or bigger. Then let the images scale automatically. I'm not sure how this would look.
In response to SuperAntx
That was exactly what I thought of.
Mr.Tophat wrote:
I recently have come into possession of a gorgeous NikonD5000

The D5000 is a sexy camera. I used to sell them.

I was contemplating hanging an odd colored background, and posing in costumes for icon art then simply shrinking the photos in photo shop. This would allow for easy stance creation of enemies as well as realistic-esque icons.

The thought of posing in costumes for some reason struck a nerve in my funny bone. Another idea would be to come up with 2D concept art for your characters, model them in 3D, animate the models, render the animations in 2D, scale and recreate the render in pixel art. This would give you a good reference for things such as the poses and lighting. It's also how SNK PLAYMORE made their King of Fighters XII "DOT Art"---see "About 'DOT ART'" and "'DOT' Creation" at http://kofaniv.snkplaymore.co.jp/english/info/15th_anniv/ 2d_dot/index.php

I would suspend fishing line with weights to determine where my arms etc should go for the base icon.

I have no idea what you're referring to with the fishing line here...
In response to EGUY
It still would be huge quality loss, most likely scaling would apply anti-aliasing, removing background around some object would be even harder.