ID:278392

I recently bought myself a VPS from BuildYourVPS, but I need help getting BYOND on their and getting it set up so I can just host and be on my merry way.

My VPS has CentOS 5 for it's OS and I use WinSCP and PuTTY to connect to it. I assume I need the Linux version of BYOND?
Yep, the Linux version of BYOND is what you're after. Inside of the zip file there's a readme that tells you what to do with it.
In response to Nadrew
What would be the difference if I installed BYOND "just on this user" and "on the entire system"? I'd be the only one accessing my VPS.
In response to Spunky_Girl
"On the entire system" means that any other accounts that you decide to make on your selected operating system also have BYOND installed. "On this user only" is exactly what it sounds like.
In response to Xyphon101
...But there are no "users" from what I can tell. There's \root and \root\byond. That's it.
I do not have a .bash_profile file or .profile file. How do I create one?
I'd assume just to choose "one user" regardless. And.. I'm not sure, it should by default have .profile or .bash_profile(depending on the shell).
In response to Xyphon101
Actually I think I deleted it by accident...
The best part about it is, the main ways of recreating .bash_profile and .profile are having 1 of the 2. So if you have neither, well.. That could be a problem. I'm not an expert on linux, however, so I really have no idea. But I would assume that is also why you have no users.
Generally the 'entire system' option is better since it allows BYOND easier access to the system and allows you to use DreamDaemon as a global command without having to deal with altering your bash startup scripts. It's also easier ;)
In response to Nadrew
Alright. Now how would I recover my .bash_profile file?
There's not always one by default. If you need one you can just create it. .bash_profile is just a script that gets executed when you login to your bash shell. The reason you have to modify it when installing BYOND is that the 'source' command is needed to be able to run the BYOND programs without having to directly execute them. (So instead of typing "./root/byond/bin/DreamDaemon" you'd only have to type "DreamDaemon"). Installing globally does this in a more permanent way.
In response to Nadrew
So all I have to do is create it and write "source /root/byond/bin/byondsetup" in it and save?
Should do it.
In response to Nadrew
Okay, I created the .bash_profile file, but now when I try hosting a game, it says permission denied :(

-bash: /root/byond/bin/DreamDaemon: Permission denied
[1] 4270
[1]+ Exit 126 DreamDaemon file.dmb 3400 -safe &

How do I remedy this?
I'm not going to give any help other than this. You really shouldn't run your main account as root. If that account gets compromised for whatever reason, they will own your system.
In response to Smoko
In which case, I hope your post gets deleted :D It's irrelevant to the topic at hand. I am completely aware of this fact already. Please provide help to the topic at hand, which is my question on why I do not have permission to host.
Did you try running with sudo? (The Super User should have permission to run anything)
In response to Sinfall
What is sudo and how do I use it?
Sudo is super user and you just type sudo [command] it should ask for the password and you retype that.
Page: 1 2