ID:278413

Just wanted to ask a question directed to Silk, since I'm banned on his blog.
About how long does NEStalgia take to boot up it's world?
Does it use the same kind of system as your hud library, meaning it calculates everything on world startup?
Why not figure out how to save this information into some kind of savefile and check to see if it already exists there? That might speed it up.
You are always free to email me with this sort of thing. If you had let me know, I would have unbanned you :)

Anyway, since you've already asked here:

Flame Sage wrote:
About how long does NEStalgia take to boot up it's world?

3-5 seconds. Less if I don't include most of the maps. Keep in mind that that also includes calculating line breaks for the dialogue of hundreds of NPCs, and some other pre-loading stuff. NEStalgia uses essentially the same system as the Silver demo I posted, with a lot of more advanced stuff tacked on.

Flame Sage wrote:
Why not figure out how to save this information into some kind of savefile and check to see if it already exists there? That might speed it up.

Simply put, it just wouldn't be worth the effort (and I'm not even sure that it would make much of a difference). We reboot the NEStalgia server maybe once or twice a week. Also, I make updates to the HUD frequently - I wouldn't want to have to worry about refreshing the savefiles etc. A few extra seconds of loading time when the world boots up isn't that big of a deal.