ID:2787701

Applies to:Dream Maker

Issue hasn't been assigned a status value.
It'd be nice to be able to crop and shift every frame of every state of an icon in the DMI editor.

I feel like a good name for this would be "Canvas Size..."

Why? Because every other image editor does this.

Here's an example of the same menu from photopea:

The chain button, when on makes the crop keep the current aspect ratio. When off, you are free to change the aspect ratio of the output image.

The relative button makes the cropping relative to the current size, so 4 would add 4 pixels, -4 would take 4 pixels off the specified axis.

The anchor section determines how much of the crop operation will be done positively and negatively on each axis. Clicking any one of the 9 tiles of the grid will anchor to that point. So bottom-left would mean we add 100% of the relative offset to the top-right of the canvas, whereas top-right would mean we add 100% of the relative offset to the bottom-left of the canvas.

When I create icon overlays for complex base sprites with a lot of animations, I like to copy the structure of the base sprite and draw on top of that. This would make it easier to do that by not requiring us to run DM code in order to crop icon files. We can currrently do this with icon operations, but not everyone is a programmer, so doing it this way doesn't naturally occur to everyone who uses Dream Maker.

Cropping can also be used to shift and recenter icons. If we increase the canvas size by 8px, 8px, anchor bottom-left, we can then anchor top-right and decrease the canvas size by 8px, 8px to have an end result of a shift 8px up and to the right for every frame. This saves artists time for when they realize that they need to rebase their sprite to get a desired layering effect in SIDE_MAP format.