ID:2817246

(See the best response by Lummox JR.)
I have an object. I'm adding a displacement map to this object. I'm using an icon with 4 different dirs. But the displacement map filter, seems to, using only a south dir regardless the object's dir.

1)Is this intended?
2)How can I bind displacement map's icon dir to object's dir?

Best response
When you use an icon as a displacement map or alpha mask, only the default frame is used. It doesn't currently handle icon_state, dir, or animation. That might be subject to change in the future.

Presently you have two options: 1) Use /icon to just extract the dir you want, which is less than ideal but doable. 2) Use a hidden object with render_source and render_target, so the filter can pull its displacement map from that.
Oh, pretty sad. I've tried to use render_source and render_target but I'd faced with another problem.

Firstly, I made different objects for different icons and pulled them in different filters. But then I realised that I have to generate unique render_target strings for every single object and thats a horrible solution. Then, i tried to combine multiple objects to reduce a number of strings.

I had an object with render_target, blank icon and KEEP_TOGETHER flag. Then I tried to overlay another icon above it. I used overlays, layer filter, Blend proc and, seems like, displacement map filter only sees a blank icon itself and nothing more.

It worked very cool for a unique single object on a map that pulled render_source from a plane itself, but here it doesnt(
And now i have an issue with render_targets... Well, i'm doomed, i'll just wait til the day we will get a dir handling by filters...