ID:2818833

Welp, as of today we're still in quite a bit of limbo about what the future holds, but hopefully we'll get good news soon. I was hoping we'd get a definitive answer earlier in the week, but that was apparently too much to ask.

As promised, I finally pivoted back to 514 bug fixes and got out a maintenance release that was way overdue. Unfortunately, a couple of weird regressions popped up as a result, leading to a couple more releases. One of those regressions was admittedly pretty dumb, at least in hindsight. Another was a much more obscure compiler bug that appeared as a result of removing some old cruft that wasn't even supposed to be in use anymore, that was covering up the fact that a previous bug fix was incomplete. That was wild. Anyway I decided to put out the fix for that today, and screw the Friday curse.

I'd planned to get out a new 515 alpha but with everything else going on that didn't happen. I'm gonna aim to get that out to testers early next week, or maybe even over the weekend. But at least even though 515 is late in coming, some of its benefits have been seen early. A portion of its compiler speedups were backported to 514 while I was trying to narrow down a bug, so users with huge games got to see some of those benefits a bit early.

Feature fever hasn't fully left me, so when someone mentioned they'd like pitch shifting for sounds the other day in BYONDiscord, I decided to look into it. It does, in short, look completely possible. I might try to sneak it in.

It's been a bad, bad summer, and fall is not looking promising, but I'm thankful to all of you who've helped keep the lights on through BYOND Membership or our other donation channels. Your support is greatly appreciated.

With the holiday squarely behind us, next week is a full week and I expect to get a whole lot more done, especially with 515 now that 514 stuff should be out of the way at last. I can only hope things stabilize in terms of further medical stuff, but we'll see where that road goes I guess. Back at the grind next week.