ID:2820491

Now that 514 is good again, this week I turned my attention back to 515 in order to get a new alpha release out. That finally came yesterday, after I had to spend a lot of time buttoning up what I'd been working on up to that point.

With the new alpha release, I've added a new :: operator that serves multiple purposes: It can disambiguate global vars (a shorthand for global.var), disambiguate static vars, provide the initial value of a var in a more direct way than initial(), and also provide a proc reference.

There is a breaking change in 515 now, where call() no longer is used to call external libraries; instead there's a new proc called call_ext(). Using call() with a hardcoded string for a library name will compile as call_ext() but produce a warning; using a string loaded from a var will fail at runtime. This only applies to worlds compiled in 515, so older .dmbs won't be affected.

So far so good, and it looks like the remaining items for 515 are going to be ones I can tackle in the beta. That means I think the beta is finally coming soon!

Thanks to all of you BYOND Members and our supporters on other donation platforms that keep the lights on. This wouldn't work without you.

Fall is upon us and it's hitting hard today. But nothing drives off the cold like the joy of murdering a massive spider and the cricket that snuck in a few days ago. Meanwhile it's a reminder that now's the perfect time to get started on your Halloween masterpiece. Let's see some classic BYOND survival horror shenanigans!