ID:28215

1. You are driving on an interstate onramp approaching an oncoming merge lane. The positioning of the onramp gives you a sweeping view of the interstate below, allowing you to see from nearly a third of a mile prior to the merge zone. The lane you are to merge into contains a single car moving at approximately the same speed as you.

Upon reaching the merge area you find yourself exactly alongside this single car, having completely failed to adjust into the yawning spaces surrounding it. You should:

A) brake and merge safely and smoothly behind the vehicle in the next lane, since it delays you by less than 2 seconds and there is no traffic directly behind this car.
B) floor the accelerator and cut ahead of the car next to you, since there are no cops around and there is no traffic in front of this car.
C) immediately begin moving into the next lane on a collision course with the adjacent car, forcing the driver you just pulled alongside (who had already been planning to change lanes to accomodate your incompetence) to change their courtesy lane change into a desperate swerve to avoid you, barely getting the clearance they need in front of the car in the next lane beyond them and missing by inches a three-plus car pileup.
D) realize you are an utter failure as a human being and attempt to end your life with what little honor you can salvage by sending your car plunging off the road and down the embankment.

Answer "C" is a distressingly popular choice.
I was going to guess "C" was what you did since it was the longest >_>
We should make D the law.
"C" was what the assjob next to me did. I have never found myself in this particular situation, due to the simple fact that I have more than half a freaking clue how to drive a car.
D ? >.>
Lummox JR wrote:
We should make D the law.

Too expensive, repair wise. We should force them to join the military and send them on Kamikaze missions. Get more for our trouble, that way.
Leftley wrote:
"C" was what the assjob next to me did. I have never found myself in this particular situation, due to the simple fact that I have more than half a freaking clue how to drive a car.

I've found myself in a situation that isn't on the list:

E) Try to brake slowly to get behind the person, only to discover that they are also braking in spite of no other cars on the road, apparently expecting you to go out in front of them. Continue decelerating for several seconds, discovering that they are still decelerating as well. Attempt to accelerate, only to discover that they are now trying to accelerate. Finally give up, hit the brakes hard, and merge behind the driver with metres to spare before you would have impacted the concrete divider.

Yeah, he (the guy who didn't know how to let me onto the freeway) was a twit.
I experience this problem on a regular basis, sort of... while I frequently have people shift over a lane when I come up the on ramp, I also use the "slow vehicle lane" going up hills, and nobody seems to notice when I'm trying to merge back into traffic. It's difficult because I can't speed up (I'm already flooring it!), don't really want to slow down (I'm already going too slow from having come up the hill), but I seem to be invisible to the cars to my left.
I think I had this exact question on my Permit test.
Just pull on over. You obviously *deserve* to merge and that car will no doubt yield to you. Especially if you are yacking on a cel phone and driving an SUV.

Well, that seems to be the rule here, anyway.
If the other car, for some reason, doesn't get out of your way, be sure to loudly insult the other driver's motoring ability and claim to the officer that arrives that the other person sideswiped you while you were minding your own business and waiting for a safe gap to merge.

Do it loudly enough and you'll win!
Hi

I must congratulate you for this wonderful bit of information. I will take the option D and i expect everyone to be with me.

I would also like to drive your attention to this squedo lens: http://www.squidoo.com/Delaware-Defensive-Driving/

The Drivers Education is becoming more accessible and reachable with the online traffic schools.
Regards
James