ID:2830250

(See the best response by Gooseheaded.)
Hello everyone...
I've been a lurker to this website for quite some time and have been practicing how to learn BYOND coding...

My problem is, I want to host a Game, but my Network Provider is Starlink...
I do not pay for it and the people that do paid $600 just to have it installed.

I would like to host a BYOND Game using Starlink which is a #CGNAT Network, which Google tells me it means it doesn't support port forwarding.

BUT

When I work on a Discord Bot with Node.js, the Discord Bot works perfectly, proving that I should be able to host a Server because I can host a Bot.

I have no idea how to get it to work....

DreamDaemon begins hosting and then 30-35 seconds in says "Other Players cannot reach your Server"

I tried hosting it from DreamSeeker and it shows No Errors but doesn't show up as being Online in the BYOND Hub or on the Website...

Can someone please help me work this out?
From what I've just read more than likely you'll need a VPN. Specifically a VPN that allows port forwarding.
Best response
Coco50Nitty wrote:
When I work on a Discord Bot with Node.js, the Discord Bot works perfectly, proving that I should be able to host a Server because I can host a Bot.

Not quite. The difference is that your Discord bot is a client, which is sending data to the Discord servers. In BYOND's case, your Dream Daemon is a server, which is expecting to receive data. Unfortunately, sending data and receiving data are very different beasts, with very different setups.

If you are behind a CGNAT, I think that trying to set up a server to receive data is beyond your control. Your best option might be to work around your CGNAT entirely and rent a Virtual Private Server (VPS) online. It is easy to find VPSs for something close to ~$5.00 USD a month, and BYOND is lightweight enough that a single simple VPS can probably run several instances of Dream Daemon for you (only depending on the game and the amount of players online).

I remember people offering BYOND hosting services in the past for very cheap. You can also ask on Discord.