ID:2833596

Just Chatting - Skip to tutorial if you don't care

When it used to come to dealing with WINE (Wine Is Not An Emulator), it wasn't the most easiest thing to set up. You had to deal with installing it through the terminal, and it intimidated everyone new to Linux. But over the years, WINE has developed into easier steps. WINE is so easy to install nowadays because it has better package management.

Now WINE could always be installed through application stores in the past, but it would be very old versions that were severly outdated, so the only methods was going step by step in a terminal copy and paste montage.

But WINE isn't really used for gaming anymore as much as Valve's proton layer which has more exprienced, paid programmers which release more fixes for games than WINE.

In addition, older versions of WINE in the application center is no longer an issue for most programs you'd like to run on Linux. The stable version is updated through the software center regularly, anytime there's a new stable release. And it will show up as an update through your OS's update manager.

In this tutorial, I wanted to show the easiest way to install WINE, and to use winetricks along with installing BYOND with using the terminal only once.

Installing WINE

1.0 Note: You may need to install cabextract first.

sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get install cabextract

1.1 Any Ubuntu distro has an application store where you can search the app you want to install, and install with a click of a button as if on a phone or on the disgusting Windows operating system.

So search up WINE and install.

2. Next download winetricks: https://raw.githubusercontent.com/Winetricks/winetricks/ master/src/winetricks (You may need to right click and save as to download).

3. Open the folder where you downloaded winetricks into, then right click > open in terminal so you can type in this code:

sh winetricks ie8

install and you're done.

No need to make a 32bit prefix for WINE anymore as ie8 can now be install on a normal wine prefix
UPDATE:

BYOND latest beta requires vcrun2022, will work fine.

When Web2View update is out, you will manually have to install MS Edge (window's version) instead of using winetricks. For that, you just download the window's version of Edge, and install using the wine layer.

You may need to change wine compatibility version by using winecfg and switching it to windows 7, 9, 10, or 11.
The BYOND app works fine with this method but I am unable to join any servers, one server says my BYOND is outdated when I have the latest version and on some servers it just doesn't get past loading of dreamseeker.
In response to Just a Floating Eye
Just a Floating Eye wrote:
The BYOND app works fine with this method but I am unable to join any servers, one server says my BYOND is outdated when I have the latest version and on some servers it just doesn't get past loading of dreamseeker.

1. Do you have the latest beta BYOND or stable.
2. Are you using a proxy server? Or any VPNs? That will interfere with your connection to BYOND.
Right so it turns out, I need ie11 not ie8 so I have to use a vm.
In response to Just a Floating Eye
Just a Floating Eye wrote:
Right so it turns out, I need ie11 not ie8 so I have to use a vm.

oh yeah, if you're playing ss13 it'll kick you off or depending th server. when they switch to web2view you just need to install ms edge
Well I wish developer will add a Proper linux support imma try install microsoft internet explorer 11 to linux device its taked garbage tier on winehq but ią will try to fix it or if i allowed to chance code of the BYOND maybe we can just force to use a Wine Gecko ? ią guess im not a pro linux user
In response to Kafein
Kafein wrote:
Well I wish developer will add a Proper linux support imma try install microsoft internet explorer 11 to linux device its taked garbage tier on winehq but ią will try to fix it or if i allowed to chance code of the BYOND maybe we can just force to use a Wine Gecko ? ią guess im not a pro linux user

No one is going to make that a thing because BYOND is switchng to webview2 since IE is now unsupported and excluded from future windows. MS Edge does install, and so does webview2.