ID:2838165

Resolved
When an atom used an icon that had no default state, and did not define an icon_state of its own, the map editor fell back on displaying the first state in the file rather than showing nothing.
BYOND Version:515.1596
Operating System:Windows 10 Home 64-bit
Web Browser:Firefox 107.0
Applies to:Dream Maker

This issue has been resolved.
Descriptive Problem Summary: When an atom has an incorrect icon_state, the map editor displays the icon as the first icon found in the .dmi file.*

*At first this appears to be desirable behavior, but can lead to be a source of frustration where a mistakenly entered icon_state appears correctly in the map editor, but "disappears" when the game is run.

Numbered Steps to Reproduce Problem:
1) Launch a project with a map file.
2) Use the Move/Select tool to select an atom with an icon that contains multiple icon_states.
3) Change the atom’s icon_state to a value not present in the .dmi file.
4) Observe that the atom is displayed as the first icon_state in the .dmi file.

Expected Results: For the atom to display as a blank icon. Previously this was a "shaded" blank icon.

Actual Results: The atom is displayed as the first icon_state in the icon file.

Does the problem occur:
Every time? Or how often? Every time.

When does the problem NOT occur? Unknown.
Descriptive Problem Summary:

I'm dealing with some really strange issues at runtime. I've placed some crates on a mostly empty map. The crates aren't showing up at runtime, and I can't pin down why.

If an icon file doesn't have a null state, and an object uses that icon file, the object tree and the map editor both show the first icon state in the file. At runtime, the object no longer has an appearance.

I submitted a test case for this via DMs.
Lummox JR resolved issue with message:
When an atom used an icon that had no default state, and did not define an icon_state of its own, the map editor fell back on displaying the first state in the file rather than showing nothing.