ID:28448

Keywords: politics
Nearly £300,000 has been spent in three years on televisions and games consoles for soldiers in Iraq and Afghanistan, the Ministry of Defence has said.

MPs were told that, since 2005, the Ministry of Defence had spent nearly £260,000 on TV sets and more than £38,000 on Sony Playstations.

Junior minister Derek Twigg revealed the figures in a parliamentary answer.

In 2005 the MoD was criticised for spending £348,000 on 134 flat screen televisions for use in its London HQ.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk_politics/6459723.stm
I don't have a problem with them sending them for the troops in Iraq and Afghanistan, I mean, they have to have something to do with their free time other than masturbate and fight scorpions :\.
I wonder how that compares with the cost of a plane ride home so they can play their own Playstations on their own TVs with their own families, where people are not trying to shoot them or blow them up.

But, if we are going to sentence our bravest to a hellish sandpit, the least (and I do mean the absolute least....) we can do is give them some distraction. I assume the Brits operate on a similar principle.
Oh I'm reasonably supportive of it, its just a lot of money for so few troops that we actually have in the field. The TV thing is crazy.
Why buy them Playstaions? Get them some Wiis instead.

Saves a BUNCH of money. :p
I'm assuming they're talking about the MoD of the US? They don't state WHICH MoD spent the money. :/
I was watching this documentary on how these troops had a 60inch High Def TV but no body armor.

That's fucked up.
Isn't the Ministry of Defense from Harry Potter? :(
Sinyc- it's the British MoD. I don't think know the yanks have one?

Either way, agreed with Bwgmon- get them a Wii and a copy of Red Steel. May as well practise their aim, plus it's cheaper.

BigBoiD: That's the Ministry of Magic. They don't really deal with wars and such (that's the MoD's job)- together with the Ministry of Love and Ministry of Plenty they take care of things at home. The Ministry of Peace helps the MoD with the war effort (apparantly).
Oh, the Ministry of Truth have some say in the matter too. I better not be posting this actually, I could ge-
I thought the MoD in the US was the USO >_>
No, in the US it's DoD- Department of Defense.

USO is a support organization that mainly does morale activites (performances, etc.).
fucking sub departments :(
Still, Britian DOES have a ministry of magic right? Why don't they ask the great wizard, Daniel Radcliffe, to win the war for them?