ID:28732

A long time ago in a galaxy far, far away.Blizzard released World of Warcraft, to the accolade of hundreds of thousands of fans everywhere. The popularly understood premise of the game was “Alliance versus Horde.” Each faction had their own unique races and abilities, their own starting regions, quests, instances, and adventures. Alliance, the “good and orderly” side had familiar races that were (to most eyes) more asthetically pleasing. The horde had unique races which seemed primarily evil. Most were not pleasing to the eyes.

This is where the psychological evolution of World of Warcraft began. As a disclaimer, the scenario that I present is not an exact representation of every server or experience, nor does it account for the minority of players, just what I believe to be the majority (read: blanket generalizations).

Read on.
I'm kind of curious as to how accurate the age break down works out to be. I will agree that, speaking broadly, you can separate gamers into general categories of "young", "middle", and "old" which will tend to have roughly the psychological profiles outlined in your post, particularly the tendency of gamers in the middle group to be disproportionately attracted to games and characters which are dark and/or rebellious. However, my impression has always been that the age ranges are somewhat lower here than where you peg it at, with the traits of the "middle" group mostly falling in the 12-18 age range and then tapering off into something of a gray area.

Granted, as far as I'm concerned World of Warcraft is--like the African savannah--territory that's best viewed from afar, with a good telescope. Thus my up-close experience is rather limited, and for all I know WoW's demographics may very well work out a bit differently from what I commonly observe in the more provincial areas of gamingdom that I tend to frequent. Nevertheless, it would be my guess that any disproportionate tendency towards the Horde in the 18-26 gaming crowd (particularly the mid to upper portions of that range) is probably more attributable to a sense of novelty than to a general sympathy for "evil" races/characters--most experienced gamers I've known in the 20+ age range tend to be a bit jaded and often interested in trying things that are new or atypical, and the Horde's race selection is a bit more unique than the still rather Tolkeinesque offerings of the Alliance.
I appreciate the constructive feedback. I think you're right on with the "jaded" point, and the age group separation isn't factually backed information, just some abstract assumptions I pulled out. It's mostly a conceptual review of WoW's history.