Regressia

by IainPeregrine
Regressia
Relive the glory days of gaming with a new single-player RPG. Regressia is a BYOND game like no other. It is 100% complete and uses all original Graphics, Music, and Programming. This is the real experience.
ID:287803

i've noticed that you already have several available control schemes (and one can personally edit them) but i was still slightly concerned about what key was what control when i first started playing; the menu found through hitting esc is sneakily hidden for someone not expecting it and so it can be hard to find the help menu-- which then proceeds to explain how simple the controls are and makes you feel dumb. it would break the immersion, but you should consider having the menu bar be shown by default

in your demo walkthrough you have two typos in the "Find the Sage, Erastus" section. "You're mision here to to purchase a ticket to the eastern continent"

can you only save by renting a bed at an innkeeper (like mr. old guy said)? if so, does this mean you can't save if you have no money? :x upon looking around, it would appear this is a deliberate move on your part. i'm iffy towards it

i too got the "-0/-0 MP" and "-0 int" thing. it appears that way everywhere it shows up at. it's been like this ever since i first checked (at level 1, before fighting a battle, in town). my byond version is 461.1054 and i'm running vista x64

i'm having a very annoying issue that i've experienced in one or two other games that use slightly customized movement; when i tap the movement keys, my guy will sometimes jump forwards two steps instead of 1. this occurs even if i quickly, lightly tap the key. at one point i had quite a bit of trouble getting out of a room because i kept doublewalking past the doorway. this is never an issue for me in games that use the default BYOND movement (or games outside of BYOND) so i don't think it's just me being clumsy. an easy way to recreate it is to tap each key in succession with the aim of walking in a circle; you will start to walk in a circle, but will sometimes instead doublewalk in a direction.

i don't understand the combat system. sometimes i'll encounter an enemy and they'll attack me two times in a row and then i'll attack them two times in a row; other times it's them once, me once, etc, or any other such variation. i also don't understand what most of the stats do. you should add this information to the help menu, because i'd like to be able to make smart decisions instead of always having to take a stab in the dark

is there no way to see what the stats of an item are (without having to just buy and equip it)?

you should have your total gold also be displayed in the items menu

i was wandering through the cave at level 4, very easily destroying bats, when i wandered upon what was obviously a boss of some sort (the succubus). i healed up and then fought her. i got ABSOLUTELY destroyed, even though i used multiple bandages during the fight, and so upon my death i lost a lot of progress (since the cave wasn't exactly short and you can only save at inns) and so now i don't feel like playing again :(
edit: oh, and the reason i died is because when i tried to use the "Run" option it simply told me "You have nowhere to run!" or something along those lines. what's the point of that option if it doesn't let you use it at the only kinds of fights you'd want to use it at?

the game is high quality, but i don't see myself buying it because i can't stand this style of gameplay (and the NES theme). good luck to you though
Zaole wrote:
i don't understand the combat system. sometimes i'll encounter an enemy and they'll attack me two times in a row and then i'll attack them two times in a row; other times it's them once, me once, etc, or any other such variation. i also don't understand what most of the stats do. you should add this information to the help menu, because i'd like to be able to make smart decisions instead of always having to take a stab in the dark

It all depends on the Agility of the enemy or player. You're able to get consecutive hits in if you're fast enough (or if you're not). Monsters will always get two hits in on the first turn if you're "surprised" though.

Also the stats are pretty basic in this game. STR = damage, VIT = HP, AGI = speed, INT = MP/magic damage, Bat = damage, Def = defense, Evd = evasion; nothing too complicated.

is there no way to see what the stats of an item are (without having to just buy and equip it)?

The equips are pretty linear. There's really no reason why you shouldn't buy the higher priced equips.

i was wandering through the cave at level 4, very easily destroying bats, when i wandered upon what was obviously a boss of some sort (the succubus). i healed up and then fought her. i got ABSOLUTELY destroyed, even though i used multiple bandages during the fight, and so upon my death i lost a lot of progress (since the cave wasn't exactly short and you can only save at inns) and so now i don't feel like playing again :(

The only remedy is to level. Getting a point in STR really makes your damage jump. The extra HP from a point of VIT and the regular HP gain is also nice.
In response to Mega fart cannon
Mega fart cannon wrote:
The equips are pretty linear. There's really no reason why you shouldn't buy the higher priced equips.

the library talks about different types of items having different attributes (ie a knife being faster, etc). if i see a new knife for 80gp and a new axe for 80gp, which should i buy? i'd like to be able to know their actual stats so i can (like i said before) make a smart decision instead of a stab in the dark. in addition, "this item costs more so you should buy it, no argument, the end" isn't a very good philosophy for any game involving equipment

The only remedy is to level. Getting a point in STR really makes your damage jump. The extra HP from a point of VIT and the regular HP gain is also nice.

doesn't remedy the issue of "there's a boss in this cave, i'm well prepared, and the regular enemies here are very easy, so let's fight the boss -> OHMYGODIT'SRAPINGME -> can't run -> die -> lose all progress since last save". there's no way to gauge boss toughness (other than the strength of the regular enemies, which ended up being a big fat lie)
In response to Zaole
Zaole wrote:
the library talks about different types of items having different attributes (ie a knife being faster, etc). if i see a new knife for 80gp and a new axe for 80gp, which should i buy? i'd like to be able to know their actual stats so i can (like i said before) make a smart decision instead of a stab in the dark.

Gauging from the demo, the only item that applies those different attributes are charms.

in addition, "this item costs more so you should buy it, no argument, the end" isn't a very good philosophy for any game involving equipment

Really? It's pretty much the philosophy that almost every RPG has. Higher priced gear = better stats, with the exception to drop-only equips, which I've only found one of so far and I'm not even using it.

doesn't remedy the issue of "there's a boss in this cave, i'm well prepared, and the regular enemies here are very easy, so let's fight the boss -> OHMYGODIT'SRAPINGME -> can't run -> die -> lose all progress since last save". there's no way to gauge boss toughness (other than the strength of the regular enemies, which ended up being a big fat lie)

In old school RPGs like this one, it's not wise to gauge a boss depending on the current area you're in. Usually the trend is that the boss is going to be AS strong as the monsters in the next area with the exception of HP. Coincidentally, the monsters left of the bridge are indeed as strong as the boss.
Thanks for the input. I treat all feedback as valid, because a game should be fun for you, so how you are subjectively experiencing it is what I need to be conserned with.

Zaole wrote:
i've noticed that you already have several available control schemes (and one can personally edit them) but i was still slightly concerned about what key was what control when i first started playing; the menu found through hitting esc is sneakily hidden for someone not expecting it and so it can be hard to find the help menu-- which then proceeds to explain how simple the controls are and makes you feel dumb. it would break the immersion, but you should consider having the menu bar be shown by default

The menu is shown by default. I think what probably happened is that the game started up in Full Screen, you hit Esc to get it out of full screen, and Esc is the menu-toggle button so it hid the menu. We currently have another topi open to discuss what the macros should be, and it has been suggested that the Esc key always turn off full screen; I'd appreciate your input on this.

in your demo walkthrough you have two typos in the "Find the Sage, Erastus" section. "You're mision here to to purchase a ticket to the eastern continent"

The demo walkthrough is a very new document, and I'm sure I've messed up all sort of things in there. Thanks for the corrections, and keep them coming if you find more :)

i too got the "-0/-0 MP" and "-0 int" thing. it appears that way everywhere it shows up at. it's been like this ever since i first checked (at level 1, before fighting a battle, in town). my byond version is 461.1054 and i'm running vista x64

I've pretty much confirmed that this is a Vista/Win7 oddity. Next update I'll be including something to remove those minus signs, but I won't be able to personally test it.

i'm having a very annoying issue that i've experienced in one or two other games that use slightly customized movement; when i tap the movement keys, my guy will sometimes jump forwards two steps instead of 1. this occurs even if i quickly, lightly tap the key. at one point i had quite a bit of trouble getting out of a room because i kept doublewalking past the doorway. this is never an issue for me in games that use the default BYOND movement (or games outside of BYOND) so i don't think it's just me being clumsy. an easy way to recreate it is to tap each key in succession with the aim of walking in a circle; you will start to walk in a circle, but will sometimes instead doublewalk in a direction.

This has been reported, too, and is probably worse since I gave in to demands for less movement delays. I'm currently investigating it, hopefully I can have a fix in for tomorrow.

Who gets to attack is based on the relative speeds (based on AGI) of your character and the enemy. The fact that this isn't satisfactorily explained is a valid concern. I'll add something about it to the help file. I'll probably add a full description of each stat with the next update.

Nope. This is pretty standard for the type of game I wanted to create, and I don't see it being a very big problem. At the start of the game, your choices are completely linear. More costly == better item in all ways. Later in the game, when different stats would have to be compared, you'd do what anyone playing a game on a console would do. You'd pay the 5gp for a room in the Inn to save your game (what's 5gp when you're spending 8000 on a suit of armor?), buy the item, try it on, and reboot if you don't like it.

you should have your total gold also be displayed in the items menu

I'll play around with that idea and see how it works. In the meantime, you can view your total gold and total exp from the status menu.

edit: oh, and the reason i died is because when i tried to use the "Run" option it simply told me "You have nowhere to run!" or something along those lines. what's the point of that option if it doesn't let you use it at the only kinds of fights you'd want to use it at?

All that is pretty standard for a console game. I can't think of a single RPG with bosses you can run from. The general principle I used when balancing the monster fights was to have the boss be one level stronger than the player when the player was comfortable with the monsters in the dungeon/area. One of my other principles was to make a hard game where every battle would require a good deal of effort from the player, and where the player would never win the boss on the first try. From everything that you've told me, I seem to have achieved my goal. ...Whether or not that has resulted in a fun game is a different matter. I may shorten the cave or something, but I don't think I'd ever want you to encounter the Succubus for the first time and win. If you do play again, I'd suggest fighting her at level 6 and purchasing a bracelet for that fight. I would not use the BatClaw.

the game is high quality, but i don't see myself buying it because i can't stand this style of gameplay (and the NES theme). good luck to you though

I can understand how you wouldn't see yourself playing it if you don't enjoy the style of gameplay. It's made in a very specific style. If you don't like RPGs, you're probably not going to enjoy Regressia. I'll make you a deal, though, if you purchase a subscription then I'll send you all the art and music from the game so you can enjoy them without having to play :P

that boss was no problem for me at the same level with bandages. used a bracelet, cloth armor, oak shield, and copper sword.