Casual Quest

by IainPeregrine
A fast paced, casual, multi player action game with a little RPG touch
ID:287891

The way it is now is still kinda flawed, make it unpausable for 10 seconds or so after pausing, it needs to be long enough to type out a sentence or two before someone decides to unpause it on you immediately. Please add this to the next update.
As far as I am aware, pausing is set up (still as of 1.27) so that only players can pause only once a wave, but anyone in the room can unpause.

It is really annoying though that anyone can unpause - I did have an instance which some random player just joined, unpaused, then ran away. Talk about stupid... -.-

The other problem is that some of the players do not have their chats on (an assumption on the fact that they don't talk) and they unpause because they don't give a bleep as to what others are doing (both audience and players alike). Not sure what can be done about that, though.

Just food for thought.
In response to Sudzzuds
I'm actually unsure if this has been taken care of yet, but if it hasn't, my immediate suggestion would be to disallow audience members from un-pausing.

Perhaps a voting system should also be in order? Unanimous vote for un-pause, and anyone who does not come back in time discards their vote. That way if certain people are not ready, the whole group waits.

I'm just not really sure if this is the best solution or not. There's always going to be food for trolls to eat.
In response to CauTi0N
The idea of spectators not being able to unpause is good. New players coming in and unpausing is always a problem.

A voting system would work, as long as the people playing are the only ones allowed to cast their vote. Or it could be made that the person who paused the game is the only one who can unpause it. And if the problem of pausing and leaving comes in, the game could simply unpause if that player leaves the server. I don't think anyone who pauses the game is going to troll the rest of their team by leaving.

Changing the way unpausing works would definitely be a welcome change. I look forward to possibly seeing it in the next update. :P
In response to Seferiel
The only issue with the system you described (player who pauses is the only who can unpause) is the matter of what to do if that player leaves. I came up with two solutions.

a) The power is transferred over to the next person in the queue, so if Seferiel, Sudzzuds, D5, Iain, and I are playing, and Seferiel pauses and then leaves, power is transferred then to Sudzzuds. The process continues unless there is no player to transfer over to, in which the game is then over.

b) The voting system again, as described before. This would take away the feeling of authority over the others, but is a bit more of a hassle.

I personally agree more with a).
In response to CauTi0N
I left the system as-is for two main reasons:

1) If spectators cannot unpause, then one (or two/three/five people working together, or multi-keying) can start a game, pause, and walk away. They may not even be doing it maliciously. If voting has to be unanimous, and can be done several times per wave, this becomes a giant headache when one trouble player pauses over and over again. And if you get around this by adding a vote-to-kick/ban system, then you've compounded the error by allowing malicious players to kick regular players and newbies.

2) Any other system is confusing as all hell. This pop-up window asks that guy which guy he wants to have unpausing powers, and it goes away after 2min, or 4min if he was the original pauser, but it goes away in 30sec via a vote of 2/3rds the player base, or a veto from a subscriber, and then there's a 30 sec waiting period on the next pause, but not on a Tuesday... It's hard enough explaining to people "Cards are every 6 waves, don't die, and you'll be able to change class".

The last thing we need is newbies trying to join a game and being turned off because 1) The game is paused, and cannot be unpaused. 2) Windows start popping up asking them who they want to kick, who should be delegated unpausing powers, whether it should be unpaused or not, and how much red they want in their hair. 3) Everyone is arguing over the politics of who paused, and who's morally at fault for unpausing.

If a better solution can be found, go for it, but it must be simple. This is marketed as a Casual game, after all. I agree that the current system is a pain; it's the worst solution possible - except for all the others.
In response to IainPeregrine
I suppose that's a very valid point. I can see it causing a lot of confusion for new players, considering most of them can barely get to card before dying and ragequitting.

It's not something where a vote system [or some other solution] could be tested in an update, to get feedback from players to find out just how good/bad it is?

I do love the fact that trolling always has to be taken into consideration though. BYOND has such wonderful players.
In response to Seferiel
It's not just BYOND. Nintendo won't even let you chat with other players in many of its online "social" games, like Smash Bros.