Casual Quest

by IainPeregrine
A fast paced, casual, multi player action game with a little RPG touch
In response to CauTi0N
CauTi0N wrote:
And this is all off of 1.33? Not a earlier version?

If you were talking about the scoreboard - yes. We all did (at one point of time) establish scores with 1.33, but we all also lost them with 1.33.
In response to CauTi0N
I'm not sure if the targeting bug for genies was happening in 1.32 or not. Last time I remember them working correctly was 1.30. (before my hiatus)
In response to Altrez
There's something I've always been meaning to ask: exactly what is 'Total Score' supposed to be about?

I ask because, when the scoreboard isn't broken, it's pretty much the only thing that changes assuming that we don't beat our previous high score (which is very unlikely). It bothers me that our 'Total Score' is at times lower than our 'Score' and 'Score' is supposed to record our highest score available.

Just throwing something else to thing about in terms of what could be causing the broken scoreboard.
In response to CauTi0N
CauTi0N wrote:

As far as the find function: The scoreboard we really have limited control over. It's pre-built by BYOND and we just input the values into it.

If it means anything, in the years I have hosted Faction Wars 1, there haven't been ANY problems whatsoever with scoreboard resets.
In response to D4RK3 54B3R
D4RK3 54B3R wrote:
CauTi0N wrote:

As far as the find function: The scoreboard we really have limited control over. It's pre-built by BYOND and we just input the values into it.

If it means anything, in the years I have hosted Faction Wars 1, there haven't been ANY problems whatsoever with scoreboard resets.

He means that a Find function cannot be added to the hub by the developer.
In response to IainPeregrine
Sorry to pull up an old topic, but a suggestion I kinda have is a verb that allows the players to ignore people they want in the chat.

I kinda ask this cause some of players can be absolute trolls or (if they don't want to be called trolls) an annoyance to pretty much everyone by constantly annoy people by what they say.

If this isn't possible, that's okay, just felt like throwing it out there.
Not sure if any of this has been said before but here's my suggestions/bugs I've found:
  • Taking screenshots with F2 seems to use .screenshot, which causes a prompt to appear for you to give the screenshot a name. When you're in the middle of a game this is problematic as it interrupts you. Changing it to .screenshot auto would be a lot better for screenshots on the fly without getting you killed.
  • When the archer class attacks with the sword, it doesn't have an animation.
  • Minimizing the chat window will completely lock you in place in the game.
  • Strange bits and pieces of snake-like monsters sometimes spawn at the bottom left-most part of the map, then delete themselves.
  • The graphic for a class in the class viewer browser is blurry and distorted.
In response to Sudzzuds
Sudzzuds wrote:
Sorry to pull up an old topic, but a suggestion I kinda have is a verb that allows the players to ignore people they want in the chat.

I kinda ask this cause some of players can be absolute trolls or (if they don't want to be called trolls) an annoyance to pretty much everyone by constantly annoy people by what they say.

If this isn't possible, that's okay, just felt like throwing it out there.

Agreed.
In response to LordAndrew
These were all fantastic suggestions/finds LordAndrew. Appreciated greatly.
In response to LordAndrew
Not saying these shouldn't be changed, just giving some background on these issues:

Taking screenshots with F2 seems to use .screenshot, which causes a prompt to appear for you to give the screenshot a name. When you're in the middle of a game this is problematic as it interrupts you. Changing it to .screenshot auto would be a lot better for screenshots on the fly without getting you killed.

This is the behavior in the default skin and in previous versions of the DS client. Shift+F2 is ".screenshot auto", which is also the default DS behavior.

Strange bits and pieces of snake-like monsters sometimes spawn at the bottom left-most part of the map, then delete themselves.

The snaking enemy positions each part of its tail based on its previous locations over time. At the start of a wave the enemy has no previous locations, so the pieces are placed at (null,null), which is translated to (0,0) in the game's movement system. This could be fixed either by filling the list of previous locations with enough (src.x,src.y) coordinates, or by changing the code to use (src.x,src.y) when the coordinate object is missing.

The graphic for a class in the class viewer browser is blurry and distorted.

Yay for Internet Explorer! I don't believe there is any standards compliant way to enlarge an image in IE without blurring it.
In response to IainPeregrine
This is the behavior in the default skin and in previous versions of the DS client. Shift+F2 is ".screenshot auto", which is also the default DS behavior.

Ah. In the more recent versions of BYOND it seems they've swapped these around, with F2 simply being .screenshot auto and Shift+F2 being .screenshot.

The graphic for a class in the class viewer browser is blurry and distorted.

Yay for Internet Explorer! I don't believe there is any standards compliant way to enlarge an image in IE without blurring it.

Hrm. A workaround for this could be scaling it up via icon manipulation, though this could possibly get resource intensive.
Watching a game today I came across a bug that I had told Iain back before you came on Cauti0n. If you are shielded (by minstrel or Sonder) and bump a blob, occasionally they will go clear and be unattackable. They still move/hurt/capture players. I think this occurs when the player bumps it and sets off its jump. (Not sure though as this bug only occasionally happens) While on the subject of blobs I have an issue with stunning them. For instance with my custom if you fire a stun dart at a blob it can trigger the jump and avoid the stun all together. The other iteration of this is that you stun it, then attack it with something else and it jumps despite the stun. As I write this I have thought up another (unverified) issue with blobs. (Sorry I'm harping on blobs, I like them they are just way buggy lol) It appears to me that if you attack a blob just as it lands it can avoid the damage of the strike if it triggers a jump. (which it almost always does on this type of campy attack)
In response to Joram
That reminds me, while I was playing as Sage I found a bug. If you begin to cast a spell so the moveable icon appears and then bump a spider web, when you come free the icon will freeze in place sort of like blob shadows. (Only not carrying over past the wave)

You have to cast again, but the old cast icon will stay there.
I finished school last Wednesday, and went back to daily life today. I've compiled a list of the bugs mentioned in these forums (and a few others Joram has mentioned), and will be working diligently to ensure these bugs (and I noted 2 suggestions) get worked on.

The goal is to have a much more stable release (though with the exception of 2 rare bugs, I haven't heard of many game-breaking issues - unless you count the scoreboard ;P )

Please continue to place bugs here as you find them, so I can continue to provide you the surface you all deserve.

Oh, and Happy Holidays :)
Page: 1 2