ID:29186

For those of you who pixel with MS Paint:
A really thorough walkthrough of the program by a lady named Fay.

And, over at invisionfree/Pixel, a few Paint tricks that remain undocumented. I didn't know Paint had a color replacement option!
Click here for some other damn good pixeling tutorials.

PS. For those who scoffulize at Paint check this video out.

Here's one from gamespot about getting into the video game artist industry.

Here's the story of red.
No, I'm not kidding. Check out the other colors, too.

Here's a link to TileStudio. I haven't tried it yet, but I probably will and use it if it has a certain feature I'm looking for. I've seen many swear by it.

[EDIT!: Ahh...Sake: the cause of and solution to most of life's problems!]
MS Paint is the only thing I use..
That video of the dude drawing the car... awesome. And people laugh at me when I tell em I do my stuff in MS Paint, then they tell me to get a "real" programing. I should show them all this video.
I don't know if any of those links explained it, but you can zoom 1000% in MS Paint by clicking on the lowest possible point in the zoom box. Click for image. Just click where the arrow is pointing, the blue line, and you zoom in 10x.
you can also right click the eraser and if you have a secondary color on, it replaces your primary one. neato gang!
@Drakiel: nothin wrong with that. Use what works.

@Zagreus: Yeah, it's a pretty amazing video. All done without layers!

@Airjoe: That one's in there, along with a color replacer trick. The walkthrough is pretty good as well. Very complete.

Here's a link to TileStudio. I haven't tried it yet, but I probably will and use it if it has a certain feature I'm looking for. I've seen many swear by it.

You know, I'm surprised that you didn't mention GraphicsGale. I've heard many people swear by that as well. I haven't thoroughly tried it (I did once or twice, but mainly I just use PaintShop Pro with a 1x1 pixel brush), but I do plan to start trying it out soon---it looks like a pretty nice program for pixel art. It's shareware, and the full version can be bought for ~$16.75 USD.
Hiead wrote:
You know, I'm surprised that you didn't mention GraphicsGale.

I swear by it, too. It's mentioned in the tools and tutorials section of the forums, in several posts of mine, and in my zombie tutorial. :)
So...I'm fairly aware of it and plug it often. It's quite good for animations and pixel art in general.

This wasn't meant as a comprehensive set of links. Mainly some things I had bookmarked and wanted to share at some point. Tile studios interested me in a while and if it turns out to edit tiles while visually placed next to clones of that tile or other tiles in a set while updating all copies of itself (fairly nonsensical sentence fragment there), then I'll use it to do turfs.
u cant beat Photoshop CS2 no matter what, proberly with CS3 but other than that its an amazeing program for pixel art, layers, zoom, 1x1 pixel bruse. has it all..

but i'll give GraphicsGale a try as ive seen some nice work made from it especial a char tutorial which tunred out sweet .helpful as im redonig my games char icons too so i'll try em in both prgs and see what results i get.