ID:293748

BYOND Build Number: 442.1020

Operating System: Windows Vista Home

Video/Graphics Card:
Intel Graphics Media Accelerator 950(I believe)

Game Hub/Link:
I dont know what this is or even means?

Internet Connection Type: Verizon DSL

Firewalls/Routers:
I use both windows firewall and zonealarm firewall protection.

Problem Description:
Ever since I downloaded the latest byond, I cant access new games. The only way to access games is by useing my bookmarks and my friends.
When the problem appears as a blue screen stating that its in the process of "Luanching Dream Seeker" and my byond relogs-in and it stays like that forever, stuck like that.

I have gotten by useing my friends and bookmarks. But the only games I can play is old ones and the new ones my friends play. I cannot access any from their hubs.

I have tried to solve the problem on my own by useing "clear cache" in the byond preferences, deleted my cache folder and changes my cfg folder to cfg_old folder in the applicationdata, and downloaded a old version of byond, but now I hit a dead end. Also, since I changed my cfg folder, all my bookmarks games were erased and now I only can access through friends.

I'm at my wits end, please help.

Steps to Reproduce Problem:
Step 1: go to game's hub and press join.
I new problem as occured, since i changed my cfg folder to cfg_old folder, I cannot access games by bookmarks or frineds, so change the folder back to cfg folder. It works to the way it was before, but I though it was interesting how I change the cfg folder and my bookmarks erased and I could access any game through friends either. Maybe this will give you hints!
Since Zone Alarm is famous for being, well, let's call it politely 'overprotecting', did you ensure that you allowed all three executables (byond/dreamseeker/dreamdaemon) are properly excluded from restrictions, which has to include version numbers (some firewalls will check for program versions and disallow new versions access, which kind of would explain why the new version caused trouble for you).
How did you install the new version?
What happens when you select File->Open Location, copy&paste byond://67.207.147.44:6031 and hit enter?
In response to Schnitzelnagler
Thats why I love zonealarm, it too good and yes I did check long time ago before I posted, at first all 3 were at ?, meaning it would ask if any activity occured, but now I have it at the hight trust-level. And still the problem occurs.

Also, I did the "What happens when you select File->Open Location, copy&paste byond://67.207.147.44:6031 and hit enter?" and whatever it is open fine and is called chatters, no problem, what that mean?

Also, now everyhting is working fine, I dont Know what changed that cause everythong to work now. I'm I did uninstall the byodn and reinstall it to see it that would work, but it didnt and I change the cfg folder back, I change before from cgf to cfg_old and now back to cfg, so i dont know. So for now everything ok, but if you know what cause the problem please tell because if it occurs again, I'm lose it!
The problem reoccur, this is getting to be a pain!
In response to Red X Maximo
What did you do right before the problem started again?
It must of been when I unstalled it and reinstalled, it probably changed something, because when I reinstalled, it ask if I wanted to use the recommended setting to install it, which when I installed the latest byond on the first time, it didnt ask this question. Also, I always pick recommended setting on everything I installed.

Also, I can prove this is was the cause, because I like to play with byond 435 version for the reason that it the version before the macro bug appeared on the other version. The bug I'm talking about is where you press your macros rapidly and every press gets excuted, which is bad because you there waiting for everything you press to finish and sometimes cause you to get killed in fight, on PvP games.
However, some games require the latest version, so I switch from 435 and 442 version and back, when I need to. Also, I notice before, after I uninstalled and reinstalled byond, it started to ask me the the setting question again.

It must have something to do with the installtion setting.
Do you have both 435 and 442 installed simultaneously on your computer, or do you really unintsall and install them whenever you need to use the one or the other?
Could you describe exactly how you uninstall and reinstall BYOND?
I dont really uninstall, i just do to the download site and download and install it, could that what it could be, I have them both on at the same time?
That might actually cause issues, yes.
Please try to search for 'folder or files' named BYOND on your hard disk(s) and look if you have 1,2,3 or more folders.
Sorry for not keeping up with my problem, I have been busy with other things, anyways, there only on folder in my hard drives,
Well, that would explain why you experience trouble.
There should be two.
One where you installed BYOND and another storing the data.

However, I am a bit puzzled.
You mentioned changing the cfg subfolder to cfg_old. Now where did you find that cfg folder?
It should be in a folder called BYOND. Which would make two with the folder that you used to install BYOND at.
The cfg folder is in the byond folder and I did change it to old_cfg, but have to chnage it back, because doing that didnt fix my problem and it took out my only way of playing new games, which was join through my friends list.

Also, I kinda do have two byond folder, there one in my program files and one in my personal user files in the computer User folder. Is that count has two byonds?
I though they ad to be in the same place, and when I check both folder they do have different context in them. But if that counts, because I have vista and the way vista works is to get on the computer there is a login screen and I'm the only user.
Uh yes, two separate folders would count as... two folders.

But you do not have another one, do you?
Does the problem occur after you install another BYOND version only, or does it keep happening even if you do not tinker with new installations at all?
Tinker has of what? When I install I click the link, run it, install the way it recommends and that it.
The only thing I kinda did was go back and forward on versions, because of the macro issue and then I would just straight install it and never uninstall it, but now I uninstall and install now.
Now my byond open a new byond thing when I try to enter a game. Idk where this problem occured.
Red X Maximo wrote:
(...)When I install I click the link, run it, install the way it recommends and that it.
(...)and never uninstall it(...)

That is likely enough the cause of your trouble.

Red X Maximo wrote:
Now my byond open a new byond thing when I try to enter a game.

Sorry, but what 'new byond thing'?
You have to describe things in a way that I can know what you mean, since I can't see your screen and won't know what you're talking about.