ID:294243

BYOND Build Number:
Operating System: Windows 7
Video/Graphics Card:
Game Hub/Link:http://www.byond.com/games/Kris_Sempai/ KenjinDoaTheDooroftheSages
Internet Connection Type: Comcast - wireless
Firewalls/Routers: Kaspersky 2010, Lynskys

Problem Description:
No matter what I try I'm hitting a dead end on the hosting of a multi-player video games. I figured I would do a test to see how well it worked. unfortunately not very good. Seems whether I put down firewalls, do the port-forward or have my hub title box checked with proper code in the gaming index, nothing works. Is hosting your game really this complicated? I tried contacting Byond but there response was to come to you. which I don't like since I am paying for this website and donating after all. I have 30 ppl depending on me and I know that byond would benefit from it but I am a fair rater and will leave with a refund if this doesn't get squared away.

Thank you to anyone who helps. I owe you one.

other than that the tutorials are very good and i enjoy reading from the talented people who are here

Steps to Reproduce Problem:
I can understand your sorrow, but the contact form that you used leads directly to the two single person developing the software. They have to carefully restrict what they handle themselves, or you'd never see the software, or even the project as a whole improve. I assure you that the BYOND community values your encouragement in helping this project survive, though the membership perks are well described before you decide to purchase.

All of that aside, I fear we'll need a bit more information, in order to help you the best we can. First of all, your BYOND build number would be crucial. You can find this in your pager, under 'Help', 'About BYOND', in the bottom left corner of the pop up.
As for the next step, how do you try to host, through Dream Seeker, or Dream Daemon? When you try to host, what exactly happens (nothing works is rather unspecific)? Is there any text and if so, what does it say?
In response to Schnitzelnagler

Thank you Schnitzelnagler, I see you reply a lot. I bet Byond considers you a valuable asset to their team.

I understand that Byond is very busy keeping the site up and have been there myself. I just have been working on this one part and became very frustrated.

At any rate. Here is a more in depth description of the problem I'm havent.

I'm still not sure were to find my "Pager" I went to my accounts and clicked "Pager" but it only shows what I'm watching and who my friends are. I have also clicked the "Help" tab this only lists: Articles, Forum, Report a Bug, Request a Feature and Contact. I'm very new to the program so, please bare with me. and I thank you for your time and patients.

Now I created a test game that is currently running on kris_sempai.KenjinDoaTheDooroftheSages

First I tested it assuming to work. But I noticed when I'm in the log box it quotes that "BYOND hub reports port ---- cannot be reached by players."

So then I found out I had to publish it to make it multi-player. I added the code within my game and checked the proper box. It came up with the same response. as well as the fact that it says "An update is available!"

Now when I click update, a pop up appears. The paragraph below is what it says.

Welcome BYOND! (4.0 Public Version 470.1075)
Logging in...connected
Logged in as Kris_Sempai.
Connecting to byond://Kris_Sempai.TestGames##upgrade....failed
Error at 'C:\Users\Kristina\Documents\BYOND\MyHub\kris_sempai\testgame s\TestChariswitch.rsc.lk': Failed to open output file 'C:\Users\Kristina\Documents\BYOND\MyHub\kris_sempai\testgame s\TestChariswitch.rsc.lk'.

So after getting this I looked through my firewalls and attempted to conform them to allowing flow through the TCP. but it was unsuccessful. I used Windows 7 help to do so. the have a walk-through on how to do so for multi-player online games.

After that failed I downloaded PFConfig. I don't know exactly were to find the proper TCP to my computer. So I used the TCP numbers that Byond kept displaying every Error. Thing is.. every time I upload the game. the TCP number changes.

Other than my build number that's everything. I'll keep looking for a build number and let you know. but perhaps you have already figured out the problem through what I have already noted.onsiders you a valubal asset to their team.
In response to Kris_Sempai
I also note that I dont know the difference between Dream Seeker or Dream Daemon

after forming my code in Dream Maker. I compress it in a zipped file. I go to the hub and upload it from there.
Kris_Sempai wrote:
Thank you Schnitzelnagler, I see you reply a lot. I bet Byond considers you a valuable asset to their team.

You flatter me too much. I just try and often enough fail ;)

Kris_Sempai wrote:
I'm still not sure were to find my "Pager"
I also note that I dont know the difference between Dream Seeker or Dream Daemon

Ah, yes, my fault, sorry.
It's an old, and likely enough bad, habit of BYOND customers to call the base centre of the software suite the pager. Dream Daemon is basically a utility to host a game without having to play it yourself (allowing for less stress on the server), whereas Dream Seeker is the part of the software that starts automatically when you join a game, but can be used to host as well for the sake of convenience (for example, if you just want a quick casual match with your friends).

Kris_Sempai wrote:
4.0 Public Version 470.1075

This is already the number I needed to know, so no worries on that.

Kris_Sempai wrote:
"BYOND hub reports port ---- cannot be reached by players."

There we are at the root of the issue already.
It's not as much a problem with your game, or BYOND, but a security prevention by various instances on your computer trying to protect you (which is good, but just a bit annoying in cases like this). Your operating system, your firewall, your anti-virus software and your router can potentially block any connections to your computer. This article explains the basic steps you should take. Now, as you can see, you should decide for a port you want to use in advance, in order to save the trouble and set up multiple ports. It is best to use an unregistred port above 1024, to ensure that you can avoid conflicts with other software on your computer (as you can see in the Dream Daemon image, I pre-set mine to 4712, a value of 0 means that your computer will attempt to find the first unused one, but this is tricky since the search can easily fail, or I should rather say yield bad results).

I'd say your best bet is to take the steps mentioned in the tutorial again, one at a time, this time with a prefixed TCP port in mind and then try to host on this very port, using Dream Daemon. If you still receive the same message, I'd say it is likely Windows 7 that's being a bit overprotective (others had trouble setting it up to host), so we'll have to see and try to find a more detailed instruction for you.
To validate these steps working properly, try hosting Castle. If you finally can host Castle, but fail to host your own game, we'll get to that as a next step.
Better tackle the beasts one at a time.

Thank you for your patience and good luck!
mk, I set a port on my computer 4482... how do I log it into Byond. So that Byond will only use this port.
After making a new TCP Port on my computer I used Port Forward then tried opening with it. No longer gives me a random port number. But it doesnt work. It does however say "Failed to open port 4482" to any ports I have configed

I've seen the Pager before... I accidentally opened it, when I logged in, but have no idea how to get to it directly
So it started to run with one of my ports. it said that other players can connect. but now its doing that whole "Dream Daemon FAILED to open port 44821!" is this an error on Byond?
I fear we'll both have to get more precise on describing the steps. Could you describe the exact steps you took in the actual order you took them (and maybe even get some screenshoots)?
The error you encounter would hint at the port already being in use. So, it would seem best if you could repeat the process (documented with screenshoots and in text form in here) for port 4712, just for the sake of example.

As for how to host on BYOND, we'll use Castle as example (because I know it's latest release should work).
  1. First step - Open the browser, navigate to Castle and click the 'Download' button. A splash screen should open, telling you about the progress of the download.
  2. Second step - After the Download finished, you should be presented with the option to 'Play by yourself', or to 'Host a session'. Click on 'Host a session'.
  3. Third step - The Dream Daemon interface should open (which you can manually open through the pager by clicking on File->Start DreamDaemon as well).
    On the little field (I marked it red in the screenshoot), enter 4712 (the port you should try to host at in our example). The 'File' field should already contain a valid link to the Castle dmb BYOND downloaded in step 1/2. If everything looks like on the screenshoot, hit the 'Go'-button.
Hmmm, It seems to me that the problem has been solved. after hearing your first post I do believe it was a problem with the port number already in use. I appreciate all your time and demo's :D now I can get to work.