ID:294342

Problem Description:
BYOND Pager takes forever to become public(roughly 10 minutes). When it does become public, it gets stuck at 0% loading resources.

I have tried:
Rebooting BYOND
Rebooting Computer
Deleting Cache File
Renaming cfg to cfg_old
Disabling every Firewall known to me on my computer
Disabling anti-virus programs

What am I missing here..
Greetings Alexander08.

You haven't provided enough information/ignored the forum template and as a result of this, we are unable to help you. In order to be of any real assistance, we need to know as much detailed information about your computer as possible.
Please consult All about the BYOND Help Forum if you are unsure on how to fill out any of the template fields.

Once you are sure you have enough information, please reply with all the information you can. From there, we'll see if we'll be able to help you solve your problem.

Yours sincerely,
Schnitzelnagler.
BYOND Build Number: 475.1080
Operating System: Windows 7
Video/Graphics Card: Unsure
Game Hub/Link:
Internet Connection Type: I am in college, I am using the provided Residence connection.
Firewalls/Routers: Yes, Window's Firewall. I've turned them off though.

Problem Description:
The BYOND pager has been wacky the past few days. At first, I was just unable to log into games. It would simply say ..........failed. every time. Then it stopped saying I was [Public], but rather [Offline]. Now, after I log in, it takes about 20 minutes for the pager to appear as [Public]. When I try to connect to games I do get a "Downloading Resources" popup but it takes forever to download. The most I've gotten to was 4% and then the connection timed out.

I have tried redownloading BYOND, restarting my computer, deleting the Cache file, disabling all firewalls on my computer, disable and enabling my connection, and renaming the cfg folder as cfg_old.

I don't know how much more information you expect me to give you but I desperately need this problem fixed..

In response to Alexander08
I just noticed that Dream Seeker is always appearing as Open in the task manager.

Edit: I'm also able to Host in Dream Daemon and enter the game through there.
Please reboot your computer and check if DreamSeeker is still running in the task manager (don't open BYOND).
If it is, kill the task by force, reboot.
If it's still running, report back.

If DreamSeeker is no longer running, please use the uninstall executable and afterwards manually search for remaining BYOND folders. You should find two (if you do not, please report that). Erase both.

Download and install BYOND again, while ensuring that you're running an account with administrative privileges. Note and report any error messages you receive.

Open BYOND and check for a game.
See if Dream Daemon keeps a thread after you closed the application.
If you still encounter connectivity issues, please check with your network administrator, as a lot of school networks forcibly filter and restrict access to games.
In response to Schnitzelnagler
I rebooted my computer, Dream Seeker was not running in Task Manager anymore.

I uninstalled BYOND and went to the Program Files folder to delete the BYOND folder. I only saw 1 folder.

I reinstalled BYOND on the administrative account. No error messages to report.

Still can't connect to some games.

(I had some progress with some of the games though. Normally it would say loading resources and be stuck at 0% or rise very slowly to something like 4% before the connection timed out. I tried a game of Chaos Chatters and got in after about 20 minutes, although after entering the game(title screen) the game froze. I tried a game with really small resources and got to only 60% before BYOND crashed. The game I want to play is still stuck at 0%)

Thank you, I will try talking to my Administrator.
Alexander08 wrote:
I uninstalled BYOND and went to the Program Files folder to delete the BYOND folder. I only saw 1 folder.

That is because there is only one BYOND folder where you installed BYOND. The second folder should be (depending on your setup) likely around your documents.
It is crucial to finds and delete this folder, else uninstalling BYOND was in vein, which is why I mentioned to *manually search* for the second folder (in your explorer).

Please try the process again, this time deleting both folders though.

Thank you in advance.
I tried reinstalling BYOND, but before deleted both BYOND folders this time. I'm still having the issue. The pager takes about 5 minutes to become Public, and when it does, I can not connect to games.

I was at home this weekend, so I wasn't able to test it. Sorry for the late response. However, BYOND works at home on a different computer.
Are you sure that there is no firewall or other protective software blocking access for BYOND, because that would be about the only viable explanation for the problem you're experiencing now?
The pager partially works, and if there was a firewall, wouldn't it block the pager entirely? I can still recieve messages from friends and see online games, and the site will also send me notifications on posts I've made on the forum. The only thing that doesn't work is the games resources loading.
I was under the same impression (a nothing or all filter), but got proven wrong in the past (can't find the thread in the forum search right now, but I think it was Danial.Beta, got to ask him sometimes if he remembers). It seems like for some strange reason some firewalls allow for data to pass very slowly, which is exactly a symptom you're describing.
The Windows Firewall has a bad habit of not really blocking outgoing traffic.
Try pinging "byond1.byond.com" a bunch of times. If you see a lot of dropped packets there may be some interference between your connection and the BYOND hub server.
In response to Danial.Beta
Request timed out.
Request timed out.
Request timed out.

Ping statistics for 67.228.127.154:
Packets: Sent = 4, Received = 0, Lost = 4 (100% loss)

Whats this mean and whats my next course of action?
That means you all your packets. For some reason something is getting in the way of you connecting to the hub server. Try a "tracert byond1.byond.com" instead. This will tell you/us how far your ping can get before it gets stopped.
Tracing a route to byond1.byond.com [67.228.127.1541]
over a maximum of 30 hops:

1 * * * Request timed out.
2 * * * Request timed out.
3 * * * Request timed out.
4 * * * Request timed out.
5 * * * Request timed out.
6 * * * Request timed out.
7 * * * Request timed out.
8 * * * Request timed out.
9 * * * Request timed out.
10 * * * Request timed out.
11 * * * Request timed out.
12 * * * Request timed out.
13 * * * Request timed out.
14 * * * Request timed out.
15 * * * Request timed out.
16 * * * Request timed out.
17 * * * Request timed out.
18 * * * Request timed out.
19 * * * Request timed out.
20 * * * Request timed out.
21 * * * Request timed out.
22 * * * Request timed out.
23 * * * Request timed out.
24 * * * Request timed out.
25 * * * Request timed out.
26 * * * Request timed out.
27 * * * Request timed out.
28 * * * Request timed out.
29 * * * Request timed out.
30 * * * Request timed out.

Trace Complete.
Very odd. Try doing a tracert for just byond.com. There is a possibility that something local has blocked byond1.byond.com. If the tracert for byond.com fails, try google.com. If all of these fail, something on your system is blocking tracerts, which isn't a big deal, just makes it harder to troubleshoot.
Where shoud i ping byond1.byond.com
In response to Dbzmaster123
I suggest creating a new topic and providing all the essential information on debugging your issue. That might help get you a faster response ;)
im having problems similar. i cant even log in on the pager, it just sayd BYOND Hub: connection failed. any ideas on how to fix that?
Page: 1 2