ID:295051

Keywords: dmide, jdmide, update
Alright, I've had people test DMIDE ( ShadeCyberPlatinum, Urias/Magnum2k ) and I've gotten some good feedback. I've pretty much finished the Code Editor minus the context based autocomplete which is basically an upgraded version of the current autocomplete. I've also added in Plugin support which is kind of nice. This means I can release the Code Editor and everything else as a plugin the way I planned. I would really like to polish the IDE up a little bit more before releasing anything concrete.

Here's a look at my list of miscellaneous things to do:

- Parse resources inside of '', error if file not found and no file dir mode.
- HUD Editor (ShadeCyberPlatinum)
- Icon Editor (Half Finished)
- Map Editor (I made a Tmx2Dmm converter not too long ago, this shouldn't be hard in comparison.)
        - Option to snap to grid. (ShadeCyberPlatinum's idea)
- Plugin Manager
- Context Based Autocomplete
- Code Folding

Feed me your ideas.
Congrats on still being alive, also this sounds good. I can't wait to use it. =D
I helped test other version in the past, I demand my attention(kiding)! I'm also lookinf forward to using this.
Idea: Finish your list, test, and release this baby!!!

PS: I hope that this is placed somewhere noticeable in Developer Resources.
For what? For him to be revived from the dead again? Then another month to work on this? So...two months?
I've been pretty slow working on DMIDE so far. Trying to get the Icon Editor done right about now but I don't have much time.
By the looks of it, your program is going to be super awesome! It is truly pioneering to be able to create only the second complete IDE in existence, for the DM programming language.

I have not yet tested any of your programs, but I am particularly interested in your implementation of the Icon Editor in your original Python version. Did it, in fact have a complete icon editor, or am I mistaken?

I realize that you have moved on to Java, but I have an interest in creating a GIMP plugin for DMIs; quite possibly in Python language.

I have discovered that a major obstacle in making such a plugin is figuring out how to open and save the metadata comments in the DMIs themselves.

Part of what makes this tricky is the fact that Dream Maker saves DMIs with their metadata comments compressed as zTXt instead of just tEXt (yes, the metadata of files can have their own compression methods!). Basically, this just means that extra programming is required to compress and decompress the comments, which may be the reason why they are invisible to most programs. Dream Maker can open a DMI with the the comments decompressed as tEXt, but after saving again the metadata comments get compressed as usual, so any plugin created for DMIs will have to use the same compression for complete compatibility.

Anyway, I was wondering if you had actually figured out some way to open and edit the metadata within your python program. If so, it would likely be very useful for making a GIMP plugin. Photoshop plugins are much harder to make.

Basically the goal here is to be able to easily create icons in GIMP; set frames, delays, etc. there, and export the DMI, instead of having to copy and paste each frame over and over again. I think such a plugin could really help to speed up and streamline the creation of good quality DMIs.

Let me know what you think of the idea, or if you know of any solutions to this issue.
Hurry up and get that list done and then work on your plugins.
In response to Multiverse7
Multiverse7 wrote:
By the looks of it, your program is going to be super awesome! It is truly pioneering to be able to create only the second complete IDE in existence, for the DM programming language.

I have not yet tested any of your programs, but I am particularly interested in your implementation of the Icon Editor in your original Python version. Did it, in fact have a complete icon editor, or am I mistaken?

I realize that you have moved on to Java, but I have an interest in creating a GIMP plugin for DMIs; quite possibly in Python language.

I have discovered that a major obstacle in making such a plugin is figuring out how to open and save the metadata comments in the DMIs themselves.

Part of what makes this tricky is the fact that Dream Maker saves DMIs with their metadata comments compressed as zTXt instead of just tEXt (yes, the metadata of files can have their own compression methods!). Basically, this just means that extra programming is required to compress and decompress the comments, which may be the reason why they are invisible to most programs. Dream Maker can open a DMI with the the comments decompressed as tEXt, but after saving again the metadata comments get compressed as usual, so any plugin created for DMIs will have to use the same compression for complete compatibility.

Anyway, I was wondering if you had actually figured out some way to open and edit the metadata within your python program. If so, it would likely be very useful for making a GIMP plugin. Photoshop plugins are much harder to make.

Basically the goal here is to be able to easily create icons in GIMP; set frames, delays, etc. there, and export the DMI, instead of having to copy and paste each frame over and over again. I think such a plugin could really help to speed up and streamline the creation of good quality DMIs.

Let me know what you think of the idea, or if you know of any solutions to this issue.

Ah, I didn't make the Python version. That was crashed's doing. You can find his implementation here: http://code.google.com/p/dmide/source/browse/core/libbyond/ dmi.py