As for Guy being TONGUE IN CHEEK, doesn't he know that the DEVIL made him do it?

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,266860,00.html
Thorg wrote:
As for Guy being TONGUE IN CHEEK, doesn't he know that the DEVIL made him do it?

That is quite possibly the most ridiculous thing I have ever heard.
Meh.
What get's me, specifically about the NRA, is that individual firearms are touted as the best, last-resort tool to overthrow a depostic government. See them come-a-runnin' when someone mentions that Zeke doesn't need a 20 caliber, fully-automatic chain-gun for squirrel hunting, and NRA funded lawyers are all over the place screaming, "Second Amendment!" and "We have a right to defend ourselves from government!".

But where were Zeke, the lawyers, and the NRA when Habeus Corpus started eroding? OR the freaking repeal of Posse Comitatus? Or illegal wire-tapping?

If guns are meant to help ensure our rights under a second crazy king George, then where's the fire when our civil liberties start disappearing now?

</rant>

they have to prove that their line of work puts them in the back country where there is a clear threat of attack by grizzlies, moose or elks

See also "Canada." :p
@Airjoe: Heh, bear arms. Love it. All this time, I was thinking of a quote (can't remember where I heard it from). "No, see, that was actually a typo. The Constitution was supposed to say, 'the right to arm bears'."

@Lexy: See also the rest of the back country of the United States as well. Canada is no more or less populous in wildlife outside of cities than the U.S. is... we just happen to have more of it is all. ;-)
Jtgibson wrote:
@Airjoe: Heh, bear arms. Love it. All this time, I was thinking of a quote (can't remember where I heard it from). "No, see, that was actually a typo. The Constitution was supposed to say, 'the right to arm bears'."

My friend always makes that same joke. <_<
Sssshhh! They can't just start shooting, ya know! And you can't imagine how illusory the 4th Amendment is anymore.... Interestingly it was only the lawyers, criminal defense attorneys, no less (those evil,evil lawyers) trying to stop the obliteration of our rights.

Yeah, the defense 'ginst de guvment has always been a ridiculous argument. For one thing, we tried that once and got a lovely thing called the Civil War. And the rebels lost anyway. Now, the US govt sports even fancier weapons.

Arguments that easy gun access results in lower crime usually resort to anecdotal evidence, clever quotes or reference to Washington DC crime v. Virginia while ignoring that people can just get guns in VA and then head to DC....

TheMonkeyDidIt wrote:
But where were Zeke, the lawyers, and the NRA when Habeus Corpus started eroding? OR the freaking repeal of Posse Comitatus? Or illegal wire-tapping?

If guns are meant to help ensure our rights under a second crazy king George, then where's the fire when our civil liberties start disappearing now?

</rant>

while ignoring that people can just get guns in VA and then head to DC....

...and then live there waiting for some armed guy to come along so they can defeat him? Are you thinking of Americans or the Predator?
doesn't he know that the DEVIL made him do it?

The Devil didn't make him do it. The Devil just set up the circumstances in which someone might want to do it. Consider Harry speaking to the college students of the Vietnam era (Willie 14:8-21):

8 And where did these great ideals come from?
9 Did they come from your encyclopedic knowledge of history, which you got from Clark Gable and John Wayne and Errol Flynn and Charlton Heston?
10 Did they come from your vast knowledge of religion, which you got from John Huston and Jeffrey Hunter and Charlton Heston?
11 Did they come from your deep knowledge of politics and government, which you got in twenty-two minutes a night from Walter Cronkite and Chet Huntley, unless you got it from the sports page?
12 Did they come from your rich experience of culture, which you got from the Three Stooges and Lucille Ball and Superman and the Lone Ranger and Ed Sullivan?
13 Did you get them from each other, through profound conversations that struck deep into the heart of things?
14 Did they come from your intellectual awakening in college, where you learned how to smoke dope and screw like rabbits and cut class and read Cliff Notes and grow beards and give up bathing?
15 Did they come from the counterculture, where you were exposed to such world class brain trusts as Timothy Leary and Abbie Hoffman?
16 Did they come from Woodstock Nation, where you sat naked in the mud and got enlightened by the divinely inspired wisdom of Joan Baez and Arlo Guthrie and Crosby, Stills & Nash?
17 Or did they come from your parents, who taught you that the best way to get what you want is to ask for it,
18 And keep asking for it until everyone's sick of hearing about it,
19 And make up a bunch of inane reasons why you should get your way,
20 And then demand your way,
21 And then have a giant tantrum and hold your breath until you finally do get your way?

The killer was a loser among losers. His video attested that he resented the spoiled kids who had everything (materially speaking) and didn't appreciate it, but nothing in his life offered him a moral compass to make sense of his situation: not his family, not his friends (if any), certainly not his thoroughly postmodern professors. The Devil got him, all right, but not by any tactic so banal as simple possession.

[Edit: I should note that not all professors on the campus were postmodern. One, a Holocaust survivor, gave his life buying time to allow his students a chance to reach safety.]
Jtgibson wrote:

I do believe it was in Jon Stewart's "America: A Citizen's Guide to Democracy Inaction." Great book, by the way, I recommend you all read it, or at least get the audio book.

I do fear a government who doesn't fear its citizens. That is the problem with many of a rights violations we have had recently. I'm not saying owning guns will do the job 100%, but I know I don't want to get on the wrong side of someone with a loaded gun, and I have a feeling the government feels the same way. I can only hope that the people who make up the military would refuse to do anything that would truly harm the nation.
"sons of libety"?

you kooky mistress, you!
http://libertycircle.com/

Their title spells it libety too! It must be the hip new thing.
So magic made him do it. Good thing we realised that now before we wasted time/money trying to figure out why it happened and how to minimize the chances of it happening again. Case closed.
Ask yourself: who set up things so that the devil would want to do all that? This one goes straight to the top.
Hedgemistress wrote:
Ask yourself: who set up things so that the devil would want to do all that? This one goes straight to the top.

That's one thing I don't get. Why does Satan run Euro-Heaven? It sounds like a lot of hard work. Me, I'd just hang a sign telling people to sod-off on the door and buy some Go Karts. Why would I care if they have to hang out in limbo because God doesn't want them at his place? It's not my problem.

Why do you think people are still arguing whether or not God exists? Plausible deniability.
Predator. Definitely.

Actually, I meant hand guns can be purchased nearby if someone wished to commit violence/crime. Or stolen, etc. Not that I am for restrictive gun control, just that I think many of the arguments for and against are inane. Like most political topics, actually....

I think we can all agree the VA shooter was a huge piece of crap, though.

Gughunter wrote:
while ignoring that people can just get guns in VA and then head to DC....

...and then live there waiting for some armed guy to come along so they can defeat him? Are you thinking of Americans or the Predator?

and ban automatic and semi-automatic weapons.

There really is no reason for a civilian to own a gun that can fire off that many bullets that quickly.

I know a lady who wishes she had a semi-automatic when she was gang raped in a alley way. I can understand the problem with an automatic(I believe they are banned), but a Semi-automatic gives people the means to possibly level the situation, if not a crowd.
Page: 1 2 3