ID:29909

A thought to consider: the people who made the V-Tech shooter's life a living hell in high school aren't guilty of killing anybody. He was (literally) a sick man, and even in his sickness, he himself made the decisions that lead to his own fateful actions.

The people who made his life a living hell, however, are still guilty of having made someone's life a living hell.

Why do we that to each other?

That's not meant to be a scathing indictment of anybody. I'm not pretending to stand in judgement over anybody. I'm certainly not claiming to be innocent in this particular regard. If I have learned nothing from my creepy obsession with Joss Whedon, it's that everybody in high school had somebody they picked on, somebody who was in some way lower than them. Whatever sh-t got heaped upon you, you turned right around and dumped it right on somebody else.

When you're under eighteen, that's the circle of life.

Maybe you didn't realize you were doing it. Maybe you had what you consider to be a good reason. Maybe you picked on somebody, but only somebody you thought had it coming. Maybe you're just one of those people who smiled at everybody and never had what you considered to be an unkind word to say about anybody, and you never realized you were doing something that made somebody around you miserable.

After all, you treated everybody the way you wanted to be treated, and well, that's the golden rule, isn't it?

Nice having a rule of behavior that doesn't require you to look outside your owh head...

Again, that's not supposed to be an indictment of you.

Whoever you are.

Anyway, this is all a very long preamble, but I've said it often: I'm not a very concise person. "Brevity being the sole of wit," and all that.

A lot of people reading the above will probably assume I had a lousy time in high school and that I was one of the unpopular kids. Hmm. Well, was I? I don't really know. Because life is more complicated than a 44 minute TV drama, and my school was too small to really support cliques. I mean, the same guys had to be in the drama club and speech team as were on the football team... or else there wouldn't have been enough people to fill any of them. In some ways, I was liked and respected and included... and in other ways I wasn't.

What rudimentary cliques there were, I didn't play within the rules of... I was well-liked by the teachers and generally well-behaved in class (except when it came to something I genuinely disagreed with), but when I hung out with anybody, it was the biggest troublemakers and rebels.

So, high school was an awesome time for me, full of exciting experiences and opportunities... and at the same time, it wasn't. That's life. I think it's our insistence on seeing things one way or another that blinds us. When I was in high school, a classmate doing a survey for an incredibly banal class project asked me the standard "glass half full/half empty" question. I tried to tell her it's both, and was told that wasn't a valid viewpoint. Not just that it was outside the parameters of the survey, but that the viewpoint itself had no value.

"Wishy-washy" was the word that was used. The psychology teacher (who was also, go figure, the guidance counselor), used the same word when I refused to join the rest of that class in agreeing to a blanket statement condemning all recreational drug use equally. "Wishy-washy."

But that's off-topic. The subject of this post is people treating each other horribly. It's something that happens far too often in this world. What can I do about that? Not a hell of a lot, actually... but there is one thing I can do.

I can stop doing it myself.

"Be the change you want to see in the world," said Gandhi. There were people who treated me like dirt in high school. There were people who, in turn, I treated like dirt. I regret that. For all that, I didn't hate my time in high school completely... but looking back on it, I know that's where a lot of my anger comes from, and I think it's time for me to start getting past that.

I recently made a post saying I was going to stop spending so much time engaged in arguments... I didn't specify this at the time, but I meant in particular the overly personal ones. I haven't done a perfect job of following through. I've tried, though, and I think I've made some improvement... and I'm going to try harder.

I changed my forum icon from a picture of a homicidal supervillainess to a simple black and white headshot. It's a little thing, but maybe it'll help.

I have a folder (an actual literal, paper one) full of some of my English composition homework from my junior and senior years. The quality of some of it is, of course, slightly embarrassing... but what strikes me more reading it is that I was such an optimistic and tolerant person back then. My senior year in particular I would peg as being the worst year of my life, for a variety of reasons... but there's one particular paper I wrote, where the assignment was to enumerate our beliefs... and when I look at it, I think, "My goth... how have I fallen so far?"

Teenaged me wouldn't be ashamed to be seen standing next to adult me, but she would be disappointed.

I write this after a week or so of emotional turmoil, soul-searching, ruminating, and more missed sleep than usual... so if it seems a little extra-tasty-rambly, that's probably why. I know there's parts I'm leaving out, and I know there's parts of this I could cut out and I wuold lose nothing, but I'm going to leave it as it is and just post this unedited.

Anyway, that's all... except for a general observation. If we did nothing else but treated each other decently, the world would be a better place. I don't mean love everybody, give everyone you meet the money out of your wallet and the shirt off your back... just be decent.

Not even excellent.

Just decent.

That's doesn't seem like it's asking so much.
If I have learned nothing from my creepy obsession with Joss Whedon, it's that everybody in high school had somebody they picked on, somebody who was in some way lower than them.

Frankly, that's down in the muck with Collin Quinn's statement that everybody is a racist like him but is too afraid to admit it. There are actual nice people in the world and they have too many blanket rules forced upon them by people who misbehave.
I'm not saying we're a race of heartless assholes. If we were, then I wouldn't be calling for a greater amount of decency.

I know there are genuinely nice people in the world, and I've met some of them.

It's still axiomatic that somebody's high school experience was worse for the fact that each and every one of those people were there.

No matter how considerate of people's feelings a person may be, there's somebody whose feelings they failed to consider ("failed" in the sense of "forgot" or in the sense of an actual "failure.") It's easy to write off the person who "somehow" gets offended or hurt by the nice person as being difficult or antisocial, but it's not always strictly true.

As I said, I'm not saying there's no nice people... just that the best among us could do better, and most of us aren't the best.
I think there's a huge difference between accidentally ruining someone's day by failing to consider their feelings and actually making them hate that part of their life.
That's pretty nice, Lexy. One thing, though: don't let decency get in the way of soul-crushing negativity.
I'm with DarkView and ACWraith there. If anyone objected to my presence in high school, it was because I got better grades than they did. Any other form of objection would've been completely unfounded because I never did anything cruel to anyone in high school. I wasn't mean, vindictive, or even particularly outspoken about anything. Hell, I didn't even stand up for myself half of the time -- the few times I've ever done anything that could be defined as "demeaning" to someone else, I was in elementary school (one such event involved a mentally handicapped kid, and there's nothing I regret more in my life than that).

I was pretty much the archetypical definition of a rebel. The kind who doesn't do what anyone else does, not the kind who shirks authority to make himself fit in with all of the other people who behave the exact same way.
I'm not going to spend a lot of time and energy trying to convince anybody that they are/were a horrible person in high school, because that's not at all the point of my post. I'm not going to argue what any of you guys did or didn't do in high school because, quite frankly, I wasn't there.

I am going to say that if we found 100 people who could make assertions about their high school years that are similar in content and character to the ones that Jt did with absolute confidence... more than 90 of them would be wrong. Not necessarily lying, because they'd be saying how they remembered it, but wrong.

Very few people are the villain of the movie in their head. Nobody wakes up in the morning and says, "Hmm. I feel like being a cruel or vindictive bully/bitch today. I think I shall find somebody far enough outside the social norm that I can take something out on them and not feel any regret about it."... and yet, it happens.

There are nice people in this world, even nice teens... but four years is an awful long time for somebody in the psychological place of a 14-18 year old not to laugh because somebody talks funny or violated a social norm that they didn't realize until that very moment existed (and let's face it, when you're a teenager, the fact that they didn't realize makes it funnier.)

It's an axiom, not an accusation... and while I feel it's necessary to point this out, it's not necessary for anybody to believe me. It'd be nice if people used it as an opportunity for self-reflection, but like my main post said, this is about what I can do, not what I want the rest of the world to do.

To use a parallel: "It's likely we all have some racist tendencies, even if we don't realize it. We should try taking some time to examine this." is still a healthy and valid viewpoint, no matter how many unfunny comedians and commentators use the "Hey, we're all racist... at least I admit it!" bit to try to excuse their own crassness.
<_<
Has it even been confirmed he was mistreated? I thought his room mate said he was just a quiet keep-to-yourself type
I think what Hedge is getting at is that at some point in your school career, you're bound to have made someone feel bad, whether intentionally or unintentionally.

I can't remember any instances of me bullying someone - I was normally at the other end of that one, of course, because I always just did my own thing. This often consisted of sitting in the library and reading, which was frowned upon by the Lords of the Playground.

I probably made a few people just a little upset a few times, though. I had quite a mouth on me. Not in the 'swearing all the time' sense, more the 'hit all the other persons buttons as fast as possible' sense. When you're not strong enough to fight back physically, you often come up with more devious ways of retaliating.
everybody in high school had somebody they picked on

Speak for yourself. I can honestly say that after primary school, I had never teased another person. I say this, because in primary school, I was quite the asshole to a single friend of mine. But that was long since patched up and discontinued at the end of grade five.

Not to mention I had a perfect record. Never one detention, not even a name on the board or a teacher warning. And the only time I spoke back to a teacher was when I disagreed with their beliefs on professional website design, and that was in year 12.
I, personally, think this change of yours could negatively affect BYOND. I know that I am at least a slightly better/more considerate person because of you.

Your "soul-crushing negativity" has a very powerful affect that is both to the point and very accurate.

This is, of course, not to stop you from bettering yourself, but just to let you know that your harsh style of comments are not always bad and you shouldn't feel bad about most of them.

I'll also have to agree with several others here, I certainly "picked on" nobody. It is perfectly possible that I made them feel dumb by showing flashing my brain a bit too much, but I truly made and effort not to.
Even if harsh commenting is not always bad, I think it would have a detrimental effect more often than not. Belittling someone through criticism is just going to entice him to focus on the person making the comments rather than focusing on any advice that was given. Even then, why pay attention to backhanded advice if it's possible that the only reason it's being mentioned is to zing you?

Some may say "well, he shouldn't let that bother him and he should listen to what the guy has to say" but that wouldn't be an issue in the first place if the advice-giver put some tact in his comments in the first place. Constructive criticism doesn't mean downplaying somebody's faults to not hurt his feelings.

However...
I recently made a post saying I was going to stop spending so much time engaged in arguments... I didn't specify this at the time, but I meant in particular the overly personal ones. I haven't done a perfect job of following through. I've tried, though, and I think I've made some improvement... and I'm going to try harder.

I think that striving for improvement is a more reasonable goal than perfection. It's not (or shouldn't be) the end of anybody's world just because you're having a bad day and happen to go off on somebody.

As for your Byond avatar, just use whatever you like. :P My avatar is a pair of boobs on another forum but that's not a symbol of my personality, right? ...Right?
His college class/roommates say he kept to himself and didn't respond even to simple greetings. I'm referring to accounts of his high school career, which have included comments by former school mates that when he read aloud, "you couldn't help laughing" because of his low, halting voice.

By the time he got to college, it seems he was unable to distingusih a hand extended in friendship from a taunt or gibe. That's profoundly sad. A consequence of his mental illness, or a contributing cause? I'd say both, though we can't no for sure.

And maybe I shouldn't have specified high school in my post... I could believe that some people did learn a big lesson from earlier behavior, and I could also believe that some people didn't get the opportunity much less the motive until later. It's something everybody's going to wrestle with, sooner or later, unless they're a saint. Perfect marks in citizenship's got very little to do with it... less even than grades automatically reflect intelligence. The "good kids" get away with a lot by virtue of them being the good kids.

And Danial, this isn't about my effect on the community nearly as much as it is the community's effect on me. What started out 90% affectation has become more like 90% reality. I don't want to spend the rest of my life being angry. Besides that, you can never predict the effects your actions will have on others.

When I chew somebody out on a forum, I don't know how it'll sound to them. I don't know what else is going on in their lives. My attitude has always been to say they take it how they want to... it's not my responsibility.

Well, I don't feel I can do that any more.

Disagree with my view of adolescent life and society if you want/need to, but here's the bottom line:

1. The nicest person in the world could probably be nicer still.
2. I'm not the nicest person in the world.
3. Neither are you.
4. I can't do anything about 3, but I can do somethibg about 2.
My goal was to crush the spirits of everyone around me. If people were not weeping, I was not doing my job. I figured if they were not tough enough to take the abuse, they should just kill themselves.
/sarcasm
In high school I was a ghost. That kid no one paid attention to or cared about until I said something and made you realize I'd been sitting next to you for at least an hour. The only people who paid me any attention where either my abusive exes or those kids who made every single day of school a living hell for me. That being said... I wasn't the nicest kid either.

I could have been and at times I really tried to be a decent person. Though there was one kid even I picked on mercilessly. We even used to be best friends until puberty and we went our seperate ways. If there were any others that you would call me picking on them or even bullying, it was because they had harassed me for ages. That's an explination, not an excuse.

I hated school and I still have nightmares about it. And I'm 23. But after high school I started my "life" online talking to people in chat rooms and eventually joined the popular people. We made everyone's lives hell. Lexy can verify that I was a horrible person. But I can say that I eventually woke up and realized how mean and cruel I had become and tried to change things for the better. The end result being that I only talk to three people regularly and Lexy is one of them.

The point of all this is that while I don't consider myself a bad person anymore, I'm still not the best person I can be. I wasn't in high school, I wasn't in chat rooms for sure, and I'm just starting to figure things out when I'm getting ready for graduation. I think in the end the best thing we can do is learn as we go. I mean, isn't that what life is really about? Figuring this stuff out as we live our lives?

And if you were one of those wonderful people in school who never hurt anyone... how often did you stand up for others when they were being picked on or how often did you reach out to make them feel better afterwards? Refraining from the hurtful name calling or abuse is fine and dandy, but extending the hand of friendship to others and standing beside them even when you know you'll suffer for it, that's the true measure of a good person. And that's the person I want to be. The one who will walk through fire to make someone's day, week or life just a little bit better in the end.

But that's me, do what you want.
Quinn, you make a good point. I was a nice guy, but I didn't step out of my way to help others. If someone asked for help, I rarely refused it, but I normally wouldn't ask people if they needed help. I'm not, and any way, saying I am the nicest person, nor am I flawless or the helpful. None of us are.

The world could use vast improvements when it comes to basic human kindness. Honestly, though, I can't think of a point in time where the world was kinder. I do think that they should spend more money in school teaching the merits of being kind and less about the evils of drug use(Which is, after all, a choice kids make regardless of any drug propaganda).

We should all be trying to better ourselves, all the time. Simple things like holding the door for a stranger, even when you are in a hurry. Or letting someone pull out in front of you when you are driving(I have found that this one makes people very happy, especially on a busy road). It's the little things that really make a difference in the overall happiness of the population. I try to be kind. I fake a believe in karma to make it easier. If I keep a tally in my head of times I have been an ass, weather purposely or accidentally, I can better even out or create a credit of kindness(My kindness credits do not roll over daily, but debts do, it is a pretty good mental system).
I picked on a lot of kids through Elementary school.

I didn't so much in Jr High because I realized how bad it was then, but I still did it sometimes to the kids who were especially annoying to me.
It builds character, I go through the same stuff every day at school(getting hazed and hazing). That's just the mental construction of teenagers. Most people an handle it, while some cannot(this is where the VT killer comes into play). That's just how it is.
I agree with Lexy. I wouldn't have agreed when I was in high school, but I do now; because in high school I didn't realise what I was doing. In painting myself as "the victim", I completely failed to consider that perhaps I was part of the problem - which, on reflection, I was.

I still put people down for a joke sometimes. I'm trying to get out of that habit.
"Stuff" rolls downhill...

I don't care what anyone thinks they act(ed) like, it is basic human nature to pass the misery on... If someone hands you "stuff", you will inevitably hand at least some of that "stuff" to someone else... Perhaps not overtly, perhaps not even intentionally, but you will... I don't see any argument against that fact...

Even if it's something like getting bullied at school, then going home and being reclusive or snippy at your parents... Or neglecting your dog... Or acting pissy to some customer at your after school job... If you get "stuff", you're absolutely going to give it to someone else in some way, at some point...

It's the reverse of "pay it forward"...
Page: 1 2