ID:29954

nearing the end of my first month in Copenhagen, i've come to embrace many things that i thought i might never have a proper chance to enjoy.

the first of which is riding my trike on very wide cycle-roads. oh, Germany has them too, but only far outside cities and towns. here in Copenhagen, cycle roads are integrated into all the major roadways around the city, providing anywhere from two to three meters of road space for cycle vehicles. it is a great feeling to be able to cruise around the city at ~25 kph (~15 mph) in relative safety. when the wind is not too strong and i catch the stoplights just right during rush-hour traffic, i can cross the city in about 30 minutes. the only other transportation faster than is the local metro/subway system, which takes about 20 minutes for the same distance and route.

people here are genuinely nice! friendliness and tolerance appear so integrated into the Danish demeanor that it invokes an automatic smile on my face when interacting with people.

not much of a couch-potatoe to begin with, i none-the-less appreciate being able to watch tv programs without having to mentally work through the dubbed audio to follow along. as a result, i've become a fan of the series House, which comes in english with danish subtitles.

the weather is a marked improvement over Oldenburg, Germany. that area was more-or-less direct in line with English weather: rain, rain, and more rain. Copenhagen, being a coastal city, enjoys a constant wind that changes direction often. not always good for cycling, but brings more sunshine than not. and with temperatures predicted to hit new highs this year in Europe, being a little farther north should keep the summer comfortable.

lastly, getting a chance to meet Alathon (Martin) in person was a real treat! chatting with him in a local resturant over the state of BYOND, his projects, and various 'things to know' in Copenhagen was great fun, and I hope to do it more often in the future. this includes checking out a future DJing gig when he returns to Copenhagen. I owe you a big lunch, Martin!

as my experience and enjoyment of Denmark grows, i look forward to a long and prosperous life in my new homeland.
lastly, getting a chance to meet Alathon (Martin) in person was a real treat! chatting with him in a local resturant over the state of BYOND, his projects, and various 'things to know' in Copenhagen was great fun, and I hope to do it more often in the future. this includes checking out a future DJing gig when he returns to Copenhagen. I owe you a big lunch, Martin!

T'was definately my pleasure, despite us having a bit of trouble locating eachother initially ;) As for DJ gigs, I should be working in Copenhagen 3-4 days a week all summer vacation, so that shouldn't be a problem!

Oh, and yes, you do owe me a lunch =) I look forward to seeing your new place sometime, when I can get off the bazillion things I have juggling in the air to come visit.

Cheers, and glad you like Copenhagen =)
You aren't coming back to wherever you're from...that's cool. When I moved* from Russia, I was pretty happy, and I like America for the most part. Although I do go back in the winter time, to get some of the Russian freeze back in my system.