ID:30212

Say what you will about the Brits (go ahead, it's fun), but they know how to do sophisticated satire of a sort that's hard to find in America these days... and hard to appreciate, if the American reviews of Hot Fuzz are any indication. This movie is breathtakingly good.

[EDIT]

Looks like the bad reviews I read were flukes... the general consensus is very positive on both sides of the Atlantic.
My uncle worked on it. :]
Fa'sho
All the reviews around where I live gave it A's/Thumbs up/4 Stars
Agreed. :)

"Well, I won't argue that it was a no-holds-barred adrenaline fuelled thrill-ride, but there's no way that you could perpetrate that amount of carnage and mayhem and not incur a considerable amount of paperwork."
It's not playing in my area anywhere.

/me cries.
Yeah, better than I expected, and I expected it to be pretty good. Me and a few friends went and saw it, and I haven't laughed so hard since Borat.
Is that your picture?
Definitely the best movie i've seen this year.
Killerdragon wrote:
My uncle worked on it. :]

Your uncle's a slut.
I don't see how you anyone could not like Hot Fuzz.
It's the definition of "awesome movie".
Keeth wrote:
I don't see how you anyone could not like Hot Fuzz.

Maybe because some people have different sense of humors...
It took a bit to warm up, and a lot of their running gags weren't exactly right for it, but I really enjoyed it.
I just love how simple and petty the reasons behind the murders were.
Maybe because some people have different sense of humors...

There are 2 kinds of people:
Kinds that like Hot Fuzz
Kinds that aren't human beings
Not really...I do not find british humor that funny to be honest. For example, I hate Monty Python. I think he has the worst sense of humor in the history of mankind.

I am a fart joke type of guy. I like humor that has to do with girls, farts, beer, whatever. Beavis and Butt-Head is my kind of show. Also Family Guy.
We'll pass your concerns on to Mr. Python directly.
I'm sure he'll be very upset. =(
Cavern wrote:
Not really...I do not find british humor that funny to be honest. For example, I hate Monty Python. I think he has the worst sense of humor in the history of mankind.

I am a fart joke type of guy. I like humor that has to do with girls, farts, beer, whatever. Beavis and Butt-Head is my kind of show. Also Family Guy.

Oh, our bad. We didn't realize you were still in jr. high school.
Just to elaborate a bit: for me, what makes HF (and Shaun of the Dead) a superior spoof is that the people who made it obviously knwo and care about the subjects they're making light of. You watch something like Epic Movie, and it's very clear it was made by people going "What's big right now? Borat? We'll put a Borat joke in. What else is big?" They didn't have anything funny, new, or pointed to say with Borat or about Borat... they just went "Okay, throw him in. People'll laugh."

And they did... but in 10, 15 years, how funny will the Borat reference be? Even the actual-epic-movie references showed very little thought or attention. You could have made the same vomit/goat sex/whatever jokes about ANY movie, or no movie... and it goes without saying that it's not worth watching as a movie in its own right. It's just a collection of jokes. It's like watching a vaudeville routine that's just the clumsy comedian walking into doors without a straight man for him to play off of and give it some context.

Hot Fuzz, on the other hand, is its own straight version... which means it's not joke-a-second, but it actually has something to say other than "hurr hurr he got hit in the crotch."... and it'll also age better than "pop culture + fart" fare.
When I showed Shaun of the Dead to my extended family (uncle and his wife) back up in Kamloops, they didn't really catch the humour... they just thought it was your average horror movie. I was rather disappointed, because he's my favourite uncle. ;-)
Page: 1 2