ID:30279

...what exactly were you expecting to see?

I'm assuming the people who watched it have seen the other two movies.
Inorganic webshooters and a trailer for an Evil Dead movie that isn't a remake? ;)
I think the thing that REALLY erked me about it was how OOC Eddie Brockman was portrayed. He's supposed to be a DICK. No smiles. Ever. Just a plain ASSHOLE.
ACW: The question was, what were you expecting, not what would you rather have seen. :P

Dixon: Granted, the character was drastically reinterpreted. In fact, they seem to have taken the Ultimate universe's Brock... complete with making him "Jr.", and stuck him in the 616 character's job...

(And if you didn't understand any part of that, you don't know enough about comics to be complaining that they're unfaithful.)

...but I think that's a valid choice. Make the character a total asshole from top to bottom, and the movie becomes the audience cheering Spider-man on as he just knocks the shit out of him in a completely straight forward fashion. Go play a fighting game if that's what you want to see. If I watch a movie, I expect to see human beings.

Now, it is a comic book movie and we're supposed to cheer for Spidey so they still didn't give us a lot to sympathize with... they made him a weasel instead of a dick... but "almost no complexity" still beats "no complexity."

Oh, and P.S.... the character you know and love so well is named "Brock", not "Brockman."
I didn't say the expectation was reasonable. Geesh, you might as well make actually seeing the movie a requirement. ;)

The things I mentioned don't really bother me. The Ultimate universe has aged to the point where continuity isn't to be expected and I get my Evil Dead kick from videogames. (Well, maybe not the horrible Dreamcast one.)
Gah, typo. I've had an odd habit of sticking "man" at the end of names lately..... Too much Megaman.

It's not so much the weaselness that bothered me as the "I kept seeing Eric Foreman in Eddie Brock."
Something I WILL admit though, the "I like being bad. It makes me happy." quote made me giggle like a retarded schoolgirl on PCP.
Okay, that, I honestly can't argue with. :P He didn't wreck the part for me, but I would have preferred somebody else filled the role, even if they kept the same characterization.
Yeeeeah..... I was dissappointed when Red didn't end the movie off with a foot in his ass.
I just saw it last night. It was fantastic... the action scenes were intense. The middle bit where he danced and stuff was really surreal and funny, but provided a nice change from the continuous shaky-camera-work-whilst-swinging-around-iron-bars that seemed to be the staple of the film.

It loses massive points for the blatent, horrific sell-out. Y'know the bit- where Spidey goes to take on the two enemies and runs past a gigantic american flag, waving in the wind?

Even if I was American that would have embarrassed me.
I remember commenting on that to my friend Amy, something about how America would have boycotted that movie if that flag was Canadian.
Superhero comics have always had flag waving. Hell, in the 40's they were punching Hitler in the nose (Captain AMERICA, hello?). Some heros are more nationalistic than others. Compare Superman (or Spider Man, Iron Man, etc.) with Batman (or Mk II Captain America, etc.)

I still vote for a Marvel Zombies movie (666 universe, baby!). Zombies + Superheroes = teh win.
Dixon wrote:
Gah, typo. I've had an odd habit of sticking "man" at the end of names lately..... Too much Megaman.

Perhaps that particular incident has something to do with Megaman's name being "Rockman" in japan.

Could've been.
Jmurph wrote:
Superhero comics have always had flag waving. Hell, in the 40's they were punching Hitler in the nose (Captain AMERICA, hello?). Some heros are more nationalistic than others. Compare Superman (or Spider Man, Iron Man, etc.) with Batman (or Mk II Captain America, etc.)

I still vote for a Marvel Zombies movie (666 universe, baby!). Zombies + Superheroes = teh win.

America got a superhero to fight Hitler.

Britain got a judge/jury/executioner in a dystopian America.

edit:
I AM THE LAW
I generally liked it, except for the random as heck Peter Parker dancing/pointing. That was really lame and corny.

Also I didn't like the way the handled Venom/Eddie at all. Seriously, he's the main Spider Man villain as far as I can tell, and he's gone in 10 minutes? I didn't like that at all.

Topher Grace really did a good job though, even if he didn't get a lot of screentime.
Hedgemistress died again. HrH is no more... Again... *exaggerated SIGH.*