ID:30805

Keywords: maps, tilesets, turf, tutorial
Here's a goofy lil' tutorial on how I make sets of tiles (in this case walls) or turfs for a map:

http://members.byond.com/PixelArt/forum?id=741

Lemme know if you see any errors or confusing parts (either here or the forums).
Very nice tutorial!

Nothing seemed confusing to me, but I'm already familiar with the techniques you're showing, so I can't say what it sounds like to someone new to this... Seems to be written straight forward enough, though...

The white text on the light blue is a little hard to read. Perhaps black text would suit better.

One error: It should be 96x96, not 92x92.

Overall, it's a great tutorial. It'd be nice to have a final list of pieces generated for the tileset, because for the tileset to be used in a randomly generated environment you'll have to take autojoining into account.
Thanks, SSGX!

Lummox JR wrote:
The white text on the light blue is a little hard to read. Perhaps black text would suit better.

Changed it to a darker background. I may try something else later.

One error: It should be 96x96, not 92x92.

Good catch. That could've caused some problems.

Overall, it's a great tutorial. It'd be nice to have a final list of pieces generated for the tileset, because for the tileset to be used in a randomly generated environment you'll have to take autojoining into account.

Thanks! I'll get a list up soon. I'll also post them in the Free Resources section as both full PNGs and break them down into DMIs with some turf definition sheets.
Ok.
1.) I found some minor problems with the tiles and tutorial and cleaned those up.
2.) I found a major problem with section 2-step 9 (some bad tiling) that I also cleaned up.
3.) I broke the tilesets in the end section up into three sets.
4.) I added a list of viable tiles (but there are undoubtedly more needed).

Still to do: I'll put these sets up in the Free Resources section fairly soon.
thx