Hark! Hail O mighty penguin!
Essentially what most religions are is just sucking up to a person or group so you aren't punished for eternity. If wanting to impress some all powerful being is all that drives you to do good, then you live a truly sad life.
And this is exactly why I despise the religion=morality argument. An afterlife is not a pre-requisite to pro-social or humanitarian action. If people view their legacy as their ultimate immortality, they will still seek a positive reputation and, thus, engage in "good" acts.

I would much rather stand beside an altruistic atheist than a hypocritical, hateful "believer". Actions louder than words and all that.

Tiberath: Fights are pointless and destructive. Discussions increase understanding and awareness. Don't be so sure that believers and non-believers can never affect one another- there are many examples of individuals who have changed their mind after some discussion and deliberation.

Popisfizzy: Ah, but one can live a life of faith separate from religious institution. One can serve a higher purpose for reasons other than fear. Do not forget that religion comes in flavors other than Christianity! Judaism, Islam, Hiduism, Buddhism, Shintoism etc. are all ancient faiths that survive today....

Danial.Beta wrote:
I've always been motivated to do good and help others by the thought of my empending doom. Knowing that I won't be anywhere after death except six feet under makes me want to leave my mark on this world. And a good mark at that.
I know that it's not a prerequisite, and that some will do it because they want to. What I'm saying is that that is the lesson a lot of faiths seem to imply.

Also, I'm aware that Christianity isn't the only religion. I'm fully aware of the existence of others, and still believe that a lot of them seem to imply that you should be nice because some being wants you to or you don't get into heaven or whatever afterlife the religion believes in.
Ok. Are you all really that stupid? The Linux stuff was completely non-correlated to the debate. I was taking a jab at his wider pursuits and interests.

I'm fairly damn sure it's obvious that churches throughout history have only ever helped science and morality accidentally. See the Crusades.

See Gregor Mendel. You fucking ignoramus.

But it was certainly part of it. Surely you've heard some of the religious justifications for slavery spouted around about the time this was happening? They're fairly similar to similar religious justifications for 'miscegnation' being illegal, and the modern religious justifications for homosexual marriage to be illegal.

Okay, first of all when you're trying to make a point you should probably spell the word correctly. "Miscegenation"

Secondly,
Everyone knows that religion is just a cover for a bunch of people who are creeped out by men sticking their dicks in each other's asses.

I can have a life-long crusade at 17? Amazing.

Uh, yes you can. Do you know what "life-long" means?
Vandit wrote:
I can have a life-long crusade at 17? Amazing.

Uh, yes you can. Do you know what "life-long" means?

Ah, I remember my golden crusade days. Especially the raid on the non-believers! They thought the perfect color was green, not the obviously superior BLUE. I showed those kids whats what in perfect colors with the help of my machete and machine gun. 3 years old and kickin' ass, ah those were the days.
Dead_Demon wrote:
"Your gonna get absolutely nothing for Christmas, Michael. Nothing! Nothing at all! Because Christmas is about Jesus!"

lul what?

LOL
Page: 1 2