ID:34522

Keywords: cars, photos, puppycam
I think we might have become hippies. Not the 1960s tie-dyed, long-haired, flower-power, smelly kind; more like the 2007 tree hugging, emission reducing, environment saving, "green" kind. It was an accident, I swear. I don't even like Al Gore. It all started out innocently enough. [Long story ahead!]

My 1997 Toyota 4Runner was having intermittent problems starting up. About once a month, I would turn the key and absolutely nothing happened. No click, no engine turning over, nothing. The battery was fine, as everything inside the vehicle still worked. If I waited about 30 minutes to an hour, it started up just fine, and the problem went away for a few weeks.

No big deal. It's not the end of the world to have to wait most of the time. I did take it in to the shop, but since it was so intermittent, they couldn't reproduce it to diagnose the problem.

Then about 3 weeks ago, I happened to check our security/puppy cams (still need to blog about that!) from work to see what the dogs were up to. What I found sent me into a slight panic:

(click to enlarge any image)

That's right, the dogs were at the front door. Normally they are supposed to be either in the house or in the back yard (they have a dog door to go in and out). The gate to the yard is closed and secured with a clip at all times.

I didn't know how they got out (somebody must have opened the gate; unfortunately that person never walked into camera view), but my one and only thought was to race home and hope they didn't run into the street or wander off too far in the meantime.

And it happened. The car wouldn't start. Of all the times for this to happen, this was not the time! As usual, it took about an hour of waiting before it started and I could go home. A very frantic hour.

So while we'd been thinking that in a few years we'd get a new car and "retire" the 4Runner to light recreational and load hauling duties, the need suddenly became more urgent. Being unable to rely on my vehicle in an emergency situation was unacceptable. If we got a new car now, not only could we leave the 4Runner at the shop for as long as necessary so they could produce the problem and repair it; but it would allow us both to drive more fuel efficient vehicles for our daily commutes, saving gas and money.

The search began. Given that we were very happy with our 2002 Nissan Altima, the newly redesigned 2007 Altima quickly rose near the top of the list. And this is where an intriguing possibility revealed itself: what about the Altima Hybrid?

Normally when comparing the cost of a hybrid to a traditional vehicle, it takes several years for the gas savings to pay for the difference in cost (if it ever does). In this case, most people who buy hybrids are doing so mostly to be snobby and show the rest of the world how morally superior they are.

But in the case of the Altima, we wanted safety features including traction control and vehicle stability control. To get these on the standard model, you had to get it pretty loaded with high end options. In contrast, the base hybrid model comes with both, and it's only $1800 more than the minimum standard configuration with both features. And here's the kicker: the Altima Hybrid also comes with a $2300 federal income tax credit. That's like getting a $2300 discount off the price, making the hybrid actually $500 cheaper than the standard model with equivalent safety features.

Long story a little less long, we went out in the 109 degree heat on Saturday to test drive the Altima Hybrid and the Toyota Camry Hybrid. Both vehicles are very similar, using the same Toyota Hybrid Synergy Drive (Nissan licensed it) and having nearly identical sticker prices. We liked the Camry more than we thought we would; it had a few nice features not found in the Altima. But the Altima drove a lot better (less granny-style, lots of zip for passing when you need it), was rated for slightly better gas mileage, had better financing options, and had a better tax credit (due to the rules of the federal tax break, the credit on the Camry is only about $600 now). Because of the extreme heat, business at the dealership was slow and we negotiated a killer deal.

There's no place for the key in the ignition switch. Just leave the intelligent key in your pocket and push the button. Awesome. You also don't have to take the key out to unlock the door: when it's in range, just push a button on the door handle and you're in. It never leaves your pocket. Ahh, laziness!

The in-dash displays show information about the hybrid system, including power output of the electric motor and charge status of the high voltage battery pack.

This screen, one of several, may be one of the most useful: it shows your instantaneous miles per gallon so you can learn to adjust your driving habits to get the most out of the hybrid system. And when that EV MODE indicator is on, it means you're in stealth mode. In this state, the car is driving using the electric motor only, so you can sneak up on your unsuspecting victims should be careful of nearby pedestrians who may not hear you coming. The gasoline engine cuts in and out as necessary.

Under the hood, Nissan licensed the current generation Toyota Hybrid Synergy Drive for the "hybrid" part of the vehicle. It allowed them to get a product to market quickly, and gave us the best of both worlds: proven, industry-leading Toyota technology, paired with the Nissan gasoline engine and body. As the advertising materials say, it's the world's first hybrid that drives like a Nissan.

Both batteries are actually stashed in the trunk, out of the way. The normal 12-volt car battery is there, as well as the high voltage hybrid battery pack.

For easy jump starting, a remote positive battery terminal is wired in the front where you'd normally expect the battery to be. Smart.

As of today, the wife, who drives a more hybrid-friendly commute (lots of stop and go, good for reclamation of energy through regenerative braking), will take the new Altima to work. I'll take the "old" Altima on my commute, which is mostly freeway with cruise control where hybrids perform closer to their gasoline-engine counterparts. The 4Runner now rests in the garage until it's needed to haul loads of junk or maybe go camping and stuff. We both increase our fuel economy and the environment thanks us (or at least Al Gore says so). I'm guessing we'll save nearly $100 a month in gas. Excellent.

Oh, and the dogs? A very nice lady up the street found them hanging out in her garage, so she took them in and gave them some food. By the time I'd gotten home that evening, she had left a message on the answering machine. I walked over and thanked her profusely for keeping my babies safe.

The gate to the yard is now locked with a combination lock. It was probably some dirty hippie who let them out.
Oh the irony! =p

My uncle had a Prias, and it was /nice/. He started it without my ever actually hearing it, and was able to move without making any noise, other than the sound of the rocks under his tires. All in all, it was nice. Unfortunately, though, people with pace-makers are out of luck there (such as my step-father).
I don't think I could drive a car which doesn't require the turning of a key. I guess I'm just a stickler for the olden times.

But hey, it looks snazzy.
Just eat some organic take-out with bottled water in the car and the conversion will be complete...
Deadron wrote:
Just eat some organic take-out with bottled water in the car and the conversion will be complete...

Don't listen! Eat a nice steak dinner and down a few sodas/beers while watching the Lakers beat the Clippers! (then the real conversion will be complete...)
So, if you're inside the car with the key in your pocket, anyone can walk up and open the door? I dunno, I've seen too many horror movies to like that idea.
Very cool. If we could ever get to straight up electric systems, it would open up a world of options. It looks like a very nice vehicle and I bet you save a bundle on fuel.
The snobby hybrid driver story reminds me of South Park. "That's not smog polluting the air, it's smug!"
How much is Nissan paying you for this?
I bet it was scum from that damn PETA group. They're always up to no good.

I was thinking the same thing as Gughunter. I mean it's great because your keys can't get locked in but I'm not sold on the idea yet. I'd assume there's some sort of safety 'disable key' button on the dashboard. Even though I'm sure they've thought long and hard about it, I just don't trust it (mainly because I'll forget my car requires a key and call a mechanic because it wont start the next time I buy new pants).
The Altima look so much better than the ridiculous looking Prius, but I'd rather manly gas guzzling global warming causing world ender any day of the week.
Dude, you got ripped off. The steering wheel is on the wrong side of the car.

;-)
Gughunter wrote:
So, if you're inside the car with the key in your pocket, anyone can walk up and open the door?

Nope. The button on the outside door handle only works when the key is outside the car. When it's inside (with you), the button is disabled.

I just tested it by standing outside the car with the window open. Hold the key outside, button works. Hold the key inside through the window, button doesn't work. It's very pleasing. I could do it all day. Back and forth, back and forth. Crazy technology.

DarkView wrote:
I'd assume there's some sort of safety 'disable key' button on the dashboard. Even though I'm sure they've thought long and hard about it, I just don't trust it (mainly because I'll forget my car requires a key and call a mechanic because it wont start the next time I buy new pants).

Leaving your smart key in your old pants is just the same as leaving your regular old-style key in your old pants. Either way, the car isn't starting (or opening, if it's locked).

Since the smart key does require a battery, there's a failsafe for that, too. It separates into two sections: one with the battery and chip, and one with a regular old key that opens the door. You can open the door with the physical key, then insert the smart key into a slot next to the steering wheel, where the car can read the chip directly. Then you drive to the store and buy a replacement battery. ;) They're supposed to last a few years, about as long as any keyless remote entry / alarm keyfobs these days.

Here's an image of the key (looks like a regular keyfob): http://www.nissan.ca/en/vehicles/altima/images/ safety_antitheft.jpg
I've also heard of keyfabs where you make the motions of turning the key and it starts the car.
I have a 1979 Mercury Cougar, take that you hippie!
Just in terms of pure aesthetics, that car is beautiful. Makes me consider giving up on the Infiniti G37.
What happened to the Mike H that said, "Shockingly (and maddeningly), Hummers are apparently not that bad for the environment. At least when compared to hybrid vehicles, of all things.

An interesting study came out recently which quantified the total energy cost of a vehicle per lifetime mile, from manufacturing to disposal. They found that the Honda Civic hybrid has an energy cost of $3.24 per lifetime mile, compared to only $1.95 for the Hummer. The world is upside-down!"
Airjoe wrote:
What happened to the Mike H that said, "Shockingly (and maddeningly), Hummers are apparently not that bad for the environment. At least when compared to hybrid vehicles, of all things.

He got a hybrid. :P
I'd love to see the calculations behind that, Airjoe. That just seems very counter-intuitive. The Hummer requires more metal, is more complex, has a larger engine displacement, expends nearly four times as much fuel as does a Civic Hybrid. Fuel itself needs an ass-ton of processing and distillation before it gets to gasoline, and further transportation before it gets to the gas station, although gasoline is one of the cheapest fluids on the planet at the moment.

Oh, and not to mention that Hummers require limited production runs, whereas hybrids are becoming continually more popular daily.
I quote from this month's issue of Open Road, the official magazine of NRMA (National Roads and Motorists' Association), the major Australian motoring organisation:

"It was an incredible bombshell - a mysterious press release that set the motoring media alight. A Toyota Prius, it claimed, was more damaging to the environment than a Hummer ... Though subsequently labelled scientifically questionable by some, and complete poppycock by most, it revealed an interesting problem. If someone can so effectively spread an obviously incorrect set of "facts", and if that information goes on to become urban myth often repeated at dinner parties, how do you make an informed decision about buying an environmentally friendly vehicle?"

So they obviously don't believe it either, though it appears they're referring to a different report.