ID:34688

I checked the amount of players on GOA last night, and i almost fell off my chair, it's INSANE! And i believe Dan might want to get another server to spread the strain over 3 instead of 2.

If only NTS could obtain a shell server of it's own, i'm sure that it's popularity would rise, slowly but surely...
well once i get going on a job i will be donating somewhat to you and a few other peoples severs.

--Keep it Up |^_^|-\/
Asking for donations for a fan game? That is against the rules. I know, it is all going to a server, but even still, thats the deal with fan games. All expenses are out of your pocket, not your players.
I'm not really asking >.> I only said that if anyone felt like it, i would appreciate it, that's not asking ._.
The problem is taking the donations, not asking. I understand that you didn't mean to break any rules, but taking donations for a fan game would mean you are breaking rules.

The problem lies in the laws. Fan games are illegal, no matter how you slice it, but few companies can complain when nobody else is profiting off their IP. I've yet to see a fan game on BYOND that actually posed a threat to any existing games made by the IP holders, so they can't claim that the fan games are doing them any harm. But if a fan game is collecting money, they are profiting off the IP holders property, without paying the licensing fees.

As you can see, taking donations not only puts BYOND in a tough spot, it also puts your game into the rankings for a possible lawsuit from rather big companies.
-Whistles innocently and goes to edit-
Good! I hope I didn't come off to harsh, just trying to prevent you(And BYOND) trouble in the long run. I suppose they should make the reasoning listed a little clearer. It's mentioned that it is against the rules to take donations for fan games, but I don't think they explain why anywhere.
Danial.Beta wrote:
Good! I hope I didn't come off to harsh, just trying to prevent you(And BYOND) trouble in the long run. I suppose they should make the reasoning listed a little clearer. It's mentioned that it is against the rules to take donations for fan games, but I don't think they explain why anywhere.

And technically it isn't for the game but for a server, which (in theory) could host anything xD
Quite true, but that's a damn fine line, and when you break it down, it's a bit harder to use that as a defense. The way I see it, better safe than sorry.
Danial.Beta wrote:
Quite true, but that's a damn fine line, and when you break it down, it's a bit harder to use that as a defense. The way I see it, better safe than sorry.

True, hence why i edited it XD
Wouldn't want lawsuits against BYOND and NTS >_>;
Danial.Beta wrote:
The problem is taking the donations, not asking. I understand that you didn't mean to break any rules, but taking donations for a fan game would mean you are breaking rules.

The problem lies in the laws. Fan games are illegal, no matter how you slice it, but few companies can complain when nobody else is profiting off their IP. I've yet to see a fan game on BYOND that actually posed a threat to any existing games made by the IP holders, so they can't claim that the fan games are doing them any harm. But if a fan game is collecting money, they are profiting off the IP holders property, without paying the licensing fees.

As you can see, taking donations not only puts BYOND in a tough spot, it also puts your game into the rankings for a possible lawsuit from rather big companies.

I wonder if this still applies when you interpret it as "a gift given by a supporter of the game, requesting to use it to support the game"?

DivineO'peanut wrote:
Danial.Beta wrote:

I wonder if this still applies when you interpret it as "a gift given by a supporter of the game, requesting to use it to support the game"?

You got a point... I wonder that too... But, i'm not gonna take the chance xD So i'm just sticking my button on my page and not saying a word =3
I don't think anyone would complain if someone was to give an unsolicited donation to a fan game maker as gratitude for the enjoyment brought by said game maker. However, the existence of a tip jar is a solicitation for donations in and of itself.

If your game players where to give you donations without you even mentioning that you would take them, than that is an unsolicited donation, of which I personally would see no harm in taking. That is a donation from someone you have entertained, and they felt, from the bottom on their heart, that you deserved a reward for entertaining them.
Danial.Beta wrote:
I don't think anyone would complain if someone was to give an unsolicited donation to a fan game maker as gratitude for the enjoyment brought by said game maker. However, the existence of a tip jar is a solicitation for donations in and of itself.

If your game players where to give you donations without you even mentioning that you would take them, than that is an unsolicited donation, of which I personally would see no harm in taking. That is a donation from someone you have entertained, and they felt, from the bottom on their heart, that you deserved a reward for entertaining them.

Here's one thing i find wierd...
Dan has a button on his page, and Lummox JR has 3 different ones on his page, Dan's doesn't have a message to go with it, neither does mine anymore.
And Lummox's doesn't seem to have a message
Donation buttons? Well, if Lummox JR want's to take donations, who cares? He isn't making a fan game. And by Dan I can only assume you mean Dan of Dantom. In which the same rules apply. No fangame, no problem. Now, if you mean MasterDan(Owner of some fan game), then yes, that is wrong.
Danial.Beta wrote:
Donation buttons? Well, if Lummox JR want's to take donations, who cares? He isn't making a fan game. And by Dan I can only assume you mean Dan of Dantom. In which the same rules apply. No fangame, no problem. Now, if you mean MasterDan(Owner of some fan game), then yes, that is wrong.

Not that Dan, but Masterdan xD
Well, he shouldn't be taking donations. Then again, Masterdan is known for bad policies. Remember when he said he would delete peoples save if they added his game to their favorites list then removed it. I'll peer into what Masterdan is doing, but I doubt he is the only owner of a fan game that is taking donations, but it's hard for the BYOND staff to find these games.
Danial.Beta wrote:
Well, he shouldn't be taking donations. Then again, Masterdan is known for bad policies. Remember when he said he would delete peoples save if they added his game to their favorites list then removed it. I'll peer into what Masterdan is doing, but I doubt he is the only owner of a fan game that is taking donations, but it's hard for the BYOND staff to find these games.

True, then i'll just keep the button there if people want to donate a dime or something, completely of their own free will
Danial.Beta wrote:

Dude, that was Goditz, not Masterdan. o_o
Sorry, I don't follow fan games.

Sorry, Masterdan, for accusing you of something you didn't do.
Page: 1 2