ID:35346

I'm thinking about installing Linux to my computer simply so that I can compare it to other operating systems (namely Windows), and was wondering how I could have both Windows and Linux on one computer, and be able to easily switch between the two without losing any of my files. I'm sure you Linux junkies out there know how. :P
Possible indeed. "Dual Booting" referse to having two OSs installed onto the same computer. Common ways of doing this is partitioning one harddrive into multiple parts, one for each OS. Then all you have to do is boot your computer, you'll get a screen asking you which OS you would like to use, and it'll start right up.

Some problems, however, might be that you probably only have one partition right now. Although it is possible to break one partition into two, it is very risky, and you have a high chance of losing some information in the process.

Another, more viable option for testing, is using a virtual machine. This will emulate a computer inside of your computer. Allowing you to have any number of OSs running at the same time as your main OS. The problem, however, is the VMs take a hit because they run inside your current OS, and thus have little RAM to use, and have slower harddrive access times.
Yeah Duel Booting should work. You will lose windows because you have to partition the hard drive. Get a Windows 98 Boot disk with command prompt and partition the hard drive into two partitions. Format one for windows and use the other for linux. Choose your partition for linux first install it and afterwords use the partition for XP and install that. I recommend getting a windows xp pro sp2 disc.
Actually, the way I recommend doing it is reinstalling Windows, and removing the old partition, taking half the space for Windows, leave the rest blank. Then install Linux on the blank spot(Ubuntu detects the empty space and will setup the rest of the partitions for you).
But for what you want, Virtual Machines are best, I tried it and experimented, then I just installed Ubuntu on a older desktop when I upgraded the ram to 512mb.
It's quite possible to repartion your HDD to install linux without losing Windows - I did it, with Windows 98 being the Windows OS.

Look for a tool named 'FIPS'. Essentially, FIPS snips the end off of partitions, being careful not to remove sections containing data. Defragment, run FIPS from a boot disk on your windows install, resize the partition to give you space for Linux, install linux on the free space.

It is, however, easier if you have a second HDD you can devote to linux - it makes setting up boot stuff easier, too. Windows gets a bit tetchy about being dual-booted, particularly old windows.