ID:35434

This makes me feel warm and fuzzy inside. 79% ain't bad. Heck, at the #1 Australian university, that's a Distinction grade. Even better, it's only one percentage point from a High Distinction.

I can't wait until the end of next month, when I'll have time to chip away at that remaining 21%. At the very least, I'm going to earn that extra H.

I love making games. I really do.
Good work. Especially seeing as you got highs in playability and longevity. Sound and graphics are important but they're not worth much without the rest.
Damn man, I did a search for Mayem Intergalactic and you have done some massive advertising or something! It's everywhere! Great job :)

I see a lot of good reviews, how's it selling?
Kunark wrote:
Damn man, I did a search for Mayem Intergalactic and you have done some massive advertising or something! It's everywhere! Great job :)

Heh. Actually I've hardly done any advertising at all. It's just been posted to a bunch of file download websites, which is nice but doesn't have much impact. I believe they all steal content from each other, so as soon as you get on one it spreads like wildfire. Not a huge accomplishment really. =)

Note that the search "Mayhem Intergalactic", with quotes, only returns twenty thousand results or so.

I see a lot of good reviews, how's it selling?

Poorly, but I expect that to improve once I can actually devote some attention to it. Right now I'm just marking off the weeks until I have time to start working on it again.

DarkView wrote:
Good work. Especially seeing as you got highs in playability and longevity. Sound and graphics are important but they're not worth much without the rest.

Yeah, it's nice to have a long-lived title. =)

The graphics score made me chuckle. I didn't think it was that bad, but hey, at least they're honest! The world could do with more of that.

I guess I'll have to contract an artist one of these days. Also a sound guy.
Heh. Do you need help with graphics, then?

I would be more than happy to come up with a few different ship sprites and explosion animations for you, as well as a space background or two (Or even better, components for a space background so you can procedurally generate your own?)
Only if you'd like to. I'll happily accept any donations, but I can't promise that I'll necessarily use any of them. =)

Having said that, I'm particularly interested in good space backgrounds that work well with the rest of the game. If you do end up trying something, before sending it to me I suggest you download the demo and replace data/base/graphics/nebula256.png with your replacement space background. Then you can see how it looks in context. (Believe me, this is important - I've rejected a few good backgrounds because they didn't gel with the rest of the graphics, or were too distracting.)
Gratz. =)
Here's the part where I reveal it's all a hoax, we were all in on it and we all think your game sucks! Happy birthday!
Well, the sound could be improved by simply having more. Every battle has the same sound. How about having a few sounds on shuffle? Also, some "we're under attack!" type sounds might be a good idea. Perhaps some sounds for if you win and if you lose a battle.

Also, in the graphics department, how about a check mark over a planet successfully taken. It would only need to last until all the battles are over. And a nice big X over ones you lose. If you ever move to 3D planets, it would do a lot for the game graphically, as well. And I really think it should be a halo around the planets, instead of a box. The game doesn't feel like it is gridded, until you click a planet.

Just some suggestions for improving points he mentioned.
That's a pretty impressive review Crispy. Hopefully it comes along with an impressive increase in sales ;)
Congrats.
@Elation: Hey, that's quite pretty. Distracting, but pretty! Did you paint that nebula yourself or did you download it from somewhere?

@Flick: Thanks! We can only hope...

Danial.Beta wrote:
Well, the sound could be improved by simply having more. Every battle has the same sound. How about having a few sounds on shuffle? Also, some "we're under attack!" type sounds might be a good idea. Perhaps some sounds for if you win and if you lose a battle.

There are multiple battle sounds, as a matter of fact, and they are picked randomly. =)

Also, in the graphics department, how about a check mark over a planet successfully taken. It would only need to last until all the battles are over. And a nice big X over ones you lose.

Now there's a good idea I haven't heard before. Nice one.

If you ever move to 3D planets, it would do a lot for the game graphically, as well. And I really think it should be a halo around the planets, instead of a box. The game doesn't feel like it is gridded, until you click a planet.

That would be because it isn't gridded. =) You're right though, a halo would look better. I've only been holding off on that because I couldn't get it looking the way I want it to.

I've dabbled with 3D planets. It's a possibility.

Just some suggestions for improving points he mentioned.

Thanks! They're helpful.
Another good thing would be multiple backgrounds overlayed, so that when you scroll, you get the feeling of motion. I'm not sure if it does that now(don't have it installed right this second) but it is an important effect that makes scrolling feel like there's more motion going on. If you need an example, look at Super Mario World, there where 2-3 backgrounds per level, which scrolled at different rates, it gave a feeling of depth to the background.
Such a thing is known as "parallax", if you're looking for more info.
Yeah, the stars are parallax already. Doing it with the nebula background is a good idea, but would require appropriate graphics...
I painted it myself. I'll try do some specially for YAGSACG when I have the time, and I'll send them over.
Elation wrote:
I painted it myself.

Colour me impressed! I had a go at painting some nebulae and they really didn't turn out well at all.

I'll try do some specially for YAGSACG when I have the time, and I'll send them over.

That would be great. =)
I keep meaning to buy a copy. I've seen other reviews online and they're similarly positive. I hope sales will ramp up!
I look forward to it. =)

I hope sales will ramp up!

That makes two of us! Cheers.
Hey sorry I didn't actually make any in the end. I'm really, really busy/lazy. Although you probably knew this anyway, and I'm not sure if I feel good or bad that people just assume that I'll fail from the start. I think I'm leaning more to the good side, because it means I don't have to ever try.
Page: 1 2