ID:35813

JavaScript has the ability to draw rectangles and ovals. by moving these shapes around you can create animations. by varying the size and position of the shapes you could create the illusion of rotation. by combining the two, you could make animated models that can rotate and you don't have to draw a single image yourself.

of course, the model would be made up of rectangles and ovals, so it wouldn't look pretty. but, since i can't draw a decent image of a person myself, i wouldn't want to try drawing an animation of a person walking in various directions. instead i'll go with ugly looking models that can easily be rotated and animated.

i wondered how this would look in BYOND. i don't want to draw ovals and boxes at runtime in BYOND, so i had to go with shapes that look the same from all angles.

here's the result:

(click on the image to download a playable demo)
Genius! OFD I must say, of all the developers on BYOND, I respect your work the most!
Bawls
Pretty awesome. The only problem I saw was some occasional "clipping" (I don't know if that term can be applied in 2D environment), but that's pretty minor.
Wow. Very cool!
Isometric, pixelized movement... genius stuff. I was surprised to see that I couldn't jump the stairs though.

Good stuff though.
Hmm, on my Vista machine the movement keys just changed focus from the popup window to the main Dream Seeker window (the left and right arrow keys, both on the keypad and in the arrow cluster). Space brought up a verb menu.

But the graphics look great!
Look! It's Rayman's overweight uncle... ;)

Pretty damn nifty stuff. Well done.
That's really hot.
you can jump down the stairs, but there's a catch. when you walk down the stairs, you're not really walking down them. you take a step forward and gravity pulls you downward. so, as you're moving down the stairs you're usually not touching the ground, so you can't jump.

the tiles outlined in white are the ones causing the problem. the one on the left should appear above the player, while the one on the right should appear below the player. with the way it calculates layers, both of those tiles have the same layer. you can only appear above both or below both. i chose above both because it will only cause problems when there are tall walls, like in the image. appearing below both would cause display problems with flat terrain, like grass, floors, or sidewalks.

http://members.byond.com/OneFishDown/files/clipping.jpg
Weak sauce! I thought you were going to announce that you had implemented a 3D Engine in JavaScript that could integrate with BYOND.

Such a disappointment.
PirateHead wrote:
Weak sauce! I thought you were going to announce that you had implemented a 3D Engine in JavaScript that could integrate with BYOND.

with the canvas object and this method of getting it to work in IE, its entirely possible to make some nice graphical effects in JavaScript that could interact with the parent BYOND program.
it's neat (and i'm a few months late). i was most impressed by the way the shadow realistically sticks to the ground when i leap over the stairs. :)
Well, I would just like to say you are probably the "ONLY" coder on BYOND who I admire..... The things you make really impress me. Odds are however, I could make the same things. Just, mine would be ALOT more sketchy because for one, I don't know the propper math. And for two, all of my codes are sketchy ^_^... You should make a game man... I don't know if you have been and just have been using another key, or if your two busy for that kind of stuff. But I would really like to play a new game made by yourself on BYOND.... I guess it's a good thing my wants and desires dont really matter ^_^..
get yer butt back online and let's do this engine up right as a multiplayer game. Alathon has a good multiserver library going- just need a good isometric system, and well....um... a theme!
man i realy want to take alook at how you produced all these isometric engines but all the links are broken learning your secrets would make making my isometric games a billion times easier