ID:36327

For the past month, my sisters have seen a cat wandering around our front yard almost every day, hiding under a couple of broken-down cars or in the woods nearby. About a week ago, we finally captured him with a dog cage and took him inside.

Surprisingly, he was very affectionate and cuddly. He had a collar around his neck, but no tags. My sister didn't want to take him to the pound like we originally planned, because they'd just put him down. He slept in the basement overnight, and was put out the next morning.

I thought that would have been the end of it, but every day since then he's been showing up near our front door and meowing for attention. He'd run off and hide once someone came out, just to creep back into view and walk close once again when he saw who came out. The next day we ended up bringing him into the basement to sleep overnight again. I spent some time that night with him, cuddling him and petting him and all sorts of cute affection you give to a small animal. Now, there's small, and then there's this cat. While not a kitten (we think he's 2-3 years old) he's bone-thin. You can feel the ridges in his spine as you run your hand along his back, and his stomach is sunken in a bit due to not eating well. So we fed him, and let him out again the next morning.

Well, he just keeps coming back. The next two nights we tried to ignore him but at least once a day, he would show up and meow. Yesterday he caught a glimpse of me at my bedroom window and meowed at me for several minutes before my heart melted and I came outside with a small cup of dog food. Today he came by again, around the same time, and was watching for me at the windows by the front door. I came out with some cat food this time and poured him a small pile to eat right on the front steps. He enjoyed it; his purring is almost as loud as the meowing, at least.

As winter approaches, it's been getting colder and colder out. Tonight I stepped outside, sat on the front steps, and made little smooching noises with my lips to call for him. 15-20 seconds later, he slinks out from the bushes and comes over to me to be pet. I pick him up and take him inside again.

Right now we have him in the basement. He has a little towel for a blanket and a litter box for him, and we're going to get a vet appointment for him soon. He'll probably be staying for at least the winter, unless we somehow come across his owners. Without any tags, though, it seems rather improbable that we'll find them.

I don't have a picture of him so I just snagged a picture of an orange tabby off of a Google image search. It doesn't look -quite- like him but it's just similar enough to put a picture in your head. No white underside though.

Unlike the cat in this picture, the one we took in has very sharp, piercing eyes. It's like he's always studying you.
"Like its always studying you"

Holy freaking crap man, GET THAT CAT OUT OF THERE! Its either a Man/Woman trapped in a Cat's Body or an Alien.

RUN, MAN, RUN!

(To end on a lighter note, the picture is quite cute.)
Mechana2412 wrote:

Holy freaking crap man, GET THAT CAT OUT OF THERE! Its either a Man/Woman trapped in a Cat's Body or an Alien.

RUN, MAN, RUN!

Bro dont be a weirdo...

And Awsome that you did that Sarm ... I would of prob done the same..
Aww
Mechana2412 wrote:

RUN, MAN, RUN!

Bro dont be a weirdo...

And Awsome that you did that... I would of prob done the same..
Haha. My mother took in a stray cat when I was 7, and im 15 now and the cat still runs.

Big-ol cat. He got sick at one point, maybe the 2nd week we had him. VERY sick. Took him to the vet, and eventually he got better.

My mom says he almost died but I don't like to think that. =P Things happen for a reason.
That's awesome Sarm. You really should adopt him. My friend ended up adopting a stray cat, and it's probably the coolest cat ever. He's so cute and awesome. It's a good thing to adopt a stray animal like that.

Sarm wrote:
He'll probably be staying for at least the winter, unless we somehow come across his owners. Without any tags, though, it seems rather improbable that we'll find them.

Go to http://www.craigslist.com. There is a section where you can post findings of lost animals. I guarantee you if that cat has an owner, you will get a call within a week if you post on that website. Check the Lost & Found section as well. There are actually a lot of postings about people who lost their cats. Some have pictures, some have details, some have both, and some have more. You really should check it out.

Actually, one of my friends goes to college down in Florida. One of his dogs ran away and someone found him and posted it on Craigslist and my friend got his dog back. It's such a cool thing.

These look like your cat, check these out (these are only a few I noticed, you should really check through them though):

http://sfbay.craigslist.org/pen/laf/466112946.html
http://sfbay.craigslist.org/pen/laf/463843355.html
If the cat is that thin, I wouldn't give it back to the owners. Either it was abandoned or they just aren't taking care of it.
I never thought about Craigslist, but it appears that both of those links are from California. I'm all the way over in Maryland, so unless this is a cross-country kitty I doubt that it's either of them. :P

I'll give it a look later.
Almost looks exactly like mine!
Get a real picture of him!
Probably not now. When I saw him again last night, he had some type of dribble coming out of his mouth. I don't know if it's rabies or not but like hell if I'm going to take the chance.

No more kitty. Sorry. :<

Edit: I can't do it. I heard him meowing again tonight so I came back down with more catfood anyway. I didn't touch him, but when he heard the bag rustling he ran right up to the door to eat.
"Stray cat (tame) has adopted Sarm."
"Sarm goes berserk!"
"Stray cat (tame) has been struck down."

If he's rabid, either get him checked out or euthanised pronto, my man. You don't want to put yourself or anyone you care about at that kind of risk. Rabies is bad enough for the cat, but it's a degenerative brain disorder for humans.
Noooooooooooo! Sarm can't lose his brain!

But... The kitten's hungry...

THE KITTEN WILL EAT HIS BRAIN!!!

On a side note, haven't bothered you in awhile Sarm, I'll try and find time to pop on AIM later.
good for you however i dont think its azombie cat that eats brains